LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

Thanks, I really appreciate the help and links to Doc's post. Now I'm really having second thoughts on even attempting this swap...

Can the TCU be swapped over too or is it not that simple? I'll try to find out what year the donor car is and just pray it's the same as mine :lol:

What I recall it was the different TCU that would not work with the ECU of the car.

What I recall it was the different TCU that would not work with the ECU of the car.

Oops, I forgot to give an update.

I actually went ahead with the swap from a 08 LGT (the tranny was rebuilt) into my 06 and it worked perfectly. Did not have to change or modify anything, it was a direct fit. Been using it for the past few months and it is so much better than my stock one. Hope this helps someone if they ever attempt to go through with it, thanks for all the advice here!

Will a 5EAT out of an 05 Legacy GT sedan plug and play into a 05 Outback XT if rear diff is changed to match too?

Never got confirmation, but I believe you will need to he turned. I noticed Cobb has different AP maps for legacy and outback ...... will a legacy map work in this case? I would like to think so, but not knowledgeable enough to say

Never got confirmation, but I believe you will need to he turned. I noticed Cobb has different AP maps for legacy and outback ...... will a legacy map work in this case? I would like to think so, but not knowledgeable enough to say

That’s just because between the cars the gear determination tables are different. Otherwise the code is the same. These would on matter on the ‘07+ ECU anyway as it uses them to adjust boost control and throttle shift match logic.

So you just plugged in the '08 TCU and all was good?

Canbus messages should be the same other than the throttle bliping stuff.

I'm not too sure about the TCU stuff, I just dropped my car off at the shop with my friend and asked them to do the transmission swap. I think they mentioned they kept my rear diff and torque converter though.

I forgot to take pics of the swap so only got this one when everything was down :lol:

zKzSmZ4.jpg

Still no good solutions for the r160 rear end other than stock? I'm getting lots of thumping driver's side back in turns under throttle. My guess is overpowering the worn-out springs/plates.. Wish there was some kind of real LSD I could throw in there.. My spider gears are probably nearly gone too..

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so I've searched around in this thread with no luck and I messaged climber with no answer, edit two weeks today... Looking for some advice here.

First up is he still doing the valve body mods? Anyone in here running them? If so thoughts and what's the best way to contact him? I saw mention of a website in the works but nothing listed. Didn't see a phone number attached to his other thread about the mod and prices.

If not anyone still having ok luck with ipt? Shop I've dealt with for ten years mentions he has good luck dealing with them.

My turbo is finally dying so I'm going with the bnr 18g option so I don't make instant torque. Probably not going to push it to it's full potential either for fear the transmission won't handle it besides I don't think I need all of that either.

Appreciate any insight on this issue, someone mentioned a fan lol that would have been helpful.

Edited by Seth1784

Give IPT a call - the main guy there (his name escapes me) took a good 30 minutes out of his day to answer some questions I had about the 5EAT in my 2008. He seemed very knowledgeable and was happy to share some ideas/thoughts on what I could do to bolster my tranny when it decides to shit the bed (things like upgraded TC, cryo'd gears and symptoms to look out for with a failing center diff). He put my mind at ease with future issues and I'm likely going to go with them when my 5EAT starts dying.

I'm assuming you already do but in case not - definitely run a tranny cooler. Even better, run it with a 180° thermostat (Derale 13011 works great).

Edited by amm203

Give IPT a call - the main guy there (his name escapes me) took a good 30 minutes out of his day to answer some questions I had about the 5EAT in my 2008. He seemed very knowledgeable and was happy to share some ideas/thoughts on what I could do to bolster my tranny when it decides to shit the bed (things like upgraded TC, cryo'd gears and symptoms to look out for with a failing center diff). He put my mind at ease with future issues and I'm likely going to go with them when my 5EAT starts dying.

I'm assuming you already do but in case not - definitely run a tranny cooler. Even better, run it with a 180° thermostat (Derale 13011 works great).

I've been running a transmission cooler for something in the realm of about 8 years or so now ahhhahaha. I've really thought about ipt, but i keep hearing positives and negatives so it's pretty much a wash at this point to not know if they do worth a damn or not.

i'm hoping it doesn't come to a full failure point, wanting to kind of prevent something like that from actually happening ahhaha.

The Transgo shift kit is a lot better than the IPD valve body. Any local transmission shop can install it.

I've seen the transgo kit mentioned, however i got the feeling from skimming climbers post about the f1 valve body upgrade that it was a kit on top of ipt doing a valve upgrade... i guess i misunderstood that one. I'll have to google the kit, see what pops up.

The “F1” valve body was a modified 350Z tradngo shift kit. I think he changed a spring and drilled a passage out differently.

What IPD does is install a shim and resistor to trick the valve body into running higher pressure. It’s almost a scam for how much they charge. The transgo/hexmods Kit did it is a more direct manner.

Good info there - sometimes I wish I had an '07 or earlier just for being able to install kits like that. Oh well

Good news! Your transmission can actually shift as fast or faster then our older ones with modded valve bodies. It responds more directly to the torque output data from the ECU. Even better, yours won’t eat itself by default if you change injectors (05-06 ECU issue).

Have your tuner adjust your calculated and requested torque tables to match what the engine is actually outputting.

If you need the calculated torque table information for your rom I can find it for you.

Interesting, I knew that the tranny ran off load rather than injector duty-cycle but didn't realize that resulted in valve-body style shifts. Thank you for the information! Regarding calculated and requested torque tables, that is something I did not discuss with Junior @ JR Tuned and whether or not he messes with those. Might be worth asking him about.

Edit: Regarding torque table info - is that something you can find within the ROM that JR has on my Cobb AP?

The “F1” valve body was a modified 350Z tradngo shift kit. I think he changed a spring and drilled a passage out differently.

What IPD does is install a shim and resistor to trick the valve body into running higher pressure. It’s almost a scam for how much they charge. The transgo/hexmods Kit did it is a more direct manner.

I remembered reading that their stuff was near scam territory... that's pretty sad, i think i remember seeing on their site 700 ish for what they do. Pretty interesting on the modded transgo kit.

Appreciate the heads up on this, i asked my tuner if they'd heard of transgo, he said heard of them but don't know anything about them ahhaha. I'll have to figure out who in town has done work with their parts... bad part is i don't know anyone around here that's good with transmissions.

there were a few people who went with transgo and were very happy. they were basically pathfinding for what ClimberD ended up with his F1. I have his F1 and it really does change the car.

I'm not sure my tuner was aware of the calculated torque stuff, though. Luckily it doesn't get as much driving as it used to so it's fine for now.

I'm still having some issues with my 5EAT after replacing a bad VB and resetting the TCU, correctly.

If I go medium hard on the throttle, I get a kick when gears change from 2nd to 3rd. I also will get a kick on downshifts periodically.

I can drive it around and avoid the kick by driving slower and less punchy on the peda. But if i push on it a little bit, it will kick from gear 2 to 3. Same happens on the downshift.

I replaced the VB in October 2017. Reset my TCU with the above mentioned method...

Any advice is welcomed.

thanks and happy 4th!

That’s just because between the cars the gear determination tables are different. Otherwise the code is the same. These would on matter on the ‘07+ ECU anyway as it uses them to adjust boost control and throttle shift match logic.

To update my initial question: yes you can put a 2005 Legacy GT 3.27 ratio trans+differential into a 2005 Outback XT where a 3.59 ratio used to be. It is 100% plug and play with no changes to the TCU, ECU, tune, wiring, etc. They are completely identical (ratios notwithstanding).