LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

How's low speed and low throttle shifts? When I watched the video of the f1 on the dyno it looks brutal lol.

I may do the transgo route then, just need to figure out who to get it from.

part throttle shifts are tough but you can learn how to make them not clunk. have to learn to sort of feather the throttle at the right time.

I'm still having some issues with my 5EAT after replacing a bad VB and resetting the TCU, correctly.

If I go medium hard on the throttle, I get a kick when gears change from 2nd to 3rd. I also will get a kick on downshifts periodically.

I can drive it around and avoid the kick by driving slower and less punchy on the peda. But if i push on it a little bit, it will kick from gear 2 to 3. Same happens on the downshift.

I replaced the VB in October 2017. Reset my TCU with the above mentioned method...

Any advice is welcomed.

thanks and happy 4th!

are you part throttle when this is happening? I've found, while part throttle, you sort of have to sense when it's going to shift and back off the pedal a little just before that.

are the requested torque tables (I think these are the ones, utc_pyro [i think] might know better... the ones that have to do with injector pulse width) updated in your tune if your injectors are larger? it helps the TCU know better what the real requested torque is and might have an impact.

Hey utc_pyro - are you saying the ECU/load based tuning for '07-09 works just as well as a hexmods, etc, for making more power? So if I wanted to build a flex-fuel 5EAT, I can pick up an '09 and work with that? I've kind of been hunting for an '07, because it has the top-feed injectors, but if '08-09 works.. OTOH, it's mostly open-source tuning, right? I think you said ECUTEK has some (all?) of the tables, but not Cobb?

Hey utc_pyro - are you saying the ECU/load based tuning for '07-09 works just as well as a hexmods, etc, for making more power? So if I wanted to build a flex-fuel 5EAT, I can pick up an '09 and work with that? I've kind of been hunting for an '07, because it has the top-feed injectors, but if '08-09 works.. OTOH, it's mostly open-source tuning, right? I think you said ECUTEK has some (all?) of the tables, but not Cobb?

ECUTEK is aware of the tables, but per publicly available information aren't tuneable in our cars. You may want to ask a ECUTEK dealer. Cobb stated they aren't planning on doing flexfuel on the 5EAT cars for some reason.

'08+ 5EAT's do well with just ECU tuning per Farh_side and throttlehappy. The TCU is a diffrent architecture (same as ECU), and supposedly will repsont to RT/CT values all the way into the 500's. As such you can just tell the TCU what the car is actually doing, and it'll respond in kind.

'05-'06 TCU has lower CT/RT limits and references throttle angle directly in some case. Thus you'd have to reflash the TCU directly to fix everything, and a guy in Russia is the only one doing it right now. It's a bench flash, not something you can do at home.

The shift kit is basically a physical hack for a software issue. Some guys in Russia have also figured out a way of doing the shift kit that works on '08+ TCU's. The big thing they found was delaying the signal to the pressure switches makes the TCU bump up line pressure significantly.

If you want flex fuel on a 5EAT, you might be better off with a car that has a Merp'd ECU already, or do the delicious tuning flex fuel kit. The former is true flexfuel on opensource, the latter is kind of ghetto way that hijacks all the IAT tables. That's not the end of the world though, it's about as effective as a piggyback flexfuel ECU.

Edited by utc_pyro

Any links for merpmod on an LGT? Any tuners that work with it? Seems I could use the Delicious kit + merpmod ECU + (insert tuner) to get a 5EAT with better shifting and flex fuel?

You don’t need delicious kit AND merpmod. It’s an “OR” deal.

You’d use the flexconverter kit or something custom with merpmod. Info is over on Romraider, but will take a bit of digging. I think they have it working on the ‘05 MT rom, so it’ll be trivial to port that to the AT one as the “code” portion is identical.

The delicious tuning kit will work with your stock rom and a special tune.

Edit: Merpmod officially supports A2WC522N and A2WC522S, so you’re good to go on a ‘05. https://github.com/Merp/MerpMod

Edited by utc_pyro

You’re not likely to find someone that will turnkey it if that’s what you want.

One of the established vendors here would likely be willing to work with you if you handle the leg work though. As in merp your rom, figure out all the felexconverter wiring and integration, test that it’s blending maps properly, ect.

Then after you get your system working and logging, hand them your custom definitions and let them work on the power tune. As you’re off in custom land, expect to be doing some of the work yourself.

part throttle shifts are tough but you can learn how to make them not clunk. have to learn to sort of feather the throttle at the right time.

Crap... for me that could be a huge problem. I generally drive like an old man hahahah. It is really rare for me to push my car hard.

it's not always. You'll learn when and where they happen in the RPM / load range.

Daily puttering around in D or S has almost no problems. I used to drive mainly in manual mode so sometimes i'd part throttle shift in odd RPM / load ranges and it wouldn't be happy.

• 1 year later...

Hi guys!

I just bought a 2006 2.5l Outback with 5eat trans. I realized that it never shifts up to 5th gear. It is not cold outside and even after driving like 100+ miles it still goes only to 4th grear only. If I put it in manual mode and try to shift up, nothing happens either on the display, nor with the gears. It seems as if there was only 4 gears in theis transmission.

I have been looking and reading on this (and other) forum, but didn't really find any proper answer. Any ideas? Anyone had something similar?

Kind regards and thanks for the help!

http://www.cars101.com/outback.html

Scroll down to look at the 2006 Outback overview. Any non-turbo/non 3.0L Legacy/Outback from these years can only be optioned with a 4EAT. Only way to get 5 speeds on a 2.5 non-turbo in these years is with a manual transmission.

Thanks for the quick response. Is this also true for models sold in Europe? I don't have the 2.5i model but the regular 2.5 modeal. I guess it is the same engine, but mine is only 165 HP instead of 175 HP for the "i" model.

Thanks for your help!

Has anyone here tried fitting a manual TCC lockup override on the 5EAT?

Have seen this done on other cars with good success, when the switch is engaged the lockup clutch is activated and the car drives like a manual.

I love the auto but the way it kicks out of lockup with the slightest of throttle movements is f*cking annoying!

Willing to have a go and report back, but first I need to know A. Where the TCU is located in my 2008 and B, if there is a pinout diagram for the connector so I know which wire I need to tap...

Has anyone here tried fitting a manual TCC lockup override on the 5EAT?

Have seen this done on other cars with good success, when the switch is engaged the lockup clutch is activated and the car drives like a manual.

I love the auto but the way it kicks out of lockup with the slightest of throttle movements is f*cking annoying!

Willing to have a go and report back, but first I need to know A. Where the TCU is located in my 2008 and B, if there is a pinout diagram for the connector so I know which wire I need to tap...

I feel like frank_ster did this on his car, but I could be mistaken. Here's his big thread, which has a wealth of information:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-subaru-beat-buick-heart-140053.html

You could also search for posts by him.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of torque converters; can someone discribe what the "shutter" feels like. I am having all sorts of issues with my car and i am wondering if they are all steeming from a failing converter. When going up hills at highway cruise sometimes the car is almost surging, and you can watch rpm go up/down quickly like the converter is locking/unlocking, does that sound like shutter? I will add a video of what btssm is showing that kinda matches my issues.

I'm also wondering if this is also causing false knock instances which get to the point of car barely running so much timing is pulled as the instances can be completely random, runs fine one min, terrible next all seeming from knock.

Video of bttsm tc

Edited by imprezkid

• 3 weeks later...

I have the exact same issue with my 2010 Liberty Gen 5 (Legacy) GT BR9 with a 5EAT here in Australia .

My AT OIL TEMP light started blinking 4 times a second after I used freeSSM and the clear 2 reset (it was not blinking before I used the clear 2 command in freeSSM))

If I read correctly boosted1983 did manage to clear this by clearing it on P.

Did he mean clearing it in park? and if so what procedure did he use to clear it?

I have searched the internet to find how to clear it without success

Any help help would be greatly appreciated.

• 4 months later...

I have this transmission: https://legacypic.uk/transmission/search.php?code=tg5c7cpdbb - had various electronic error codes (mainly P0758, sometimes P0766, once P0741 torque convertor), decided to get a replacement transmission instead - I didn't want a rando valve body that could be incompatible

While waiting for a new one, the shop had this one, so they tested it to see whether the issue was indeed electronical: https://legacypic.uk/transmission/search.php?code=tg5c7cbcba

Apparently it drives well

This is from a 2.0GT, front differential rates are different, apparently there are error codes related to that, wondering is there anyway it could be made compatible with my car? (Outback)

• 1 month later...
I have this transmission: https://legacypic.uk/transmission/search.php?code=tg5c7cpdbb - had various electronic error codes (mainly P0758, sometimes P0766, once P0741 torque convertor), decided to get a replacement transmission instead - I didn't want a rando valve body that could be incompatible

While waiting for a new one, the shop had this one, so they tested it to see whether the issue was indeed electronical: https://legacypic.uk/transmission/search.php?code=tg5c7cbcba

Apparently it drives well

This is from a 2.0GT, front differential rates are different, apparently there are error codes related to that, wondering is there anyway it could be made compatible with my car? (Outback)

You could swap out the TCU for the TCU compatible with that transmission. I am not sure what the price is for your market but in Japan it is cheap. I bought a couple myself to try out as there are many software revisions with changes in regards to shifting.

• 1 month later...
Ok I have a 2008 legacy gt limited with the 5eat new trans about 3-4 years ago so the last two years I'll be driving and then I'll see smoke behind my car I pull over and the entire side of my trans and down pipe are completely soaked with fluid and the trans vent tube is wet inside this has been happening about 2-3 times a year for the last two years trans works great and when I check the fluid levels they read dead on every time has anyone else experienced this and what was the culprit if you found one it's irritating

• 1 year later...