LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP vs custom tune

Screamin

uhh, :lol: not worth every penny. 241whp = stock tune, 264whp cobb accessport stage 1 tune, 288whp = accesstuner tune

BrenTuning 2010 Subaru Legacy GT "Stage 1" 289whp/355wtq - YouTube

Well for me it was worth it. Nice power numbers you got out of your protune. Wish I could get those numbers without the intake and exhaust.

Yes, its a typhoon. I don't mind replacing my K&N intake - before i do, are there better options than the OEM stock intake. Given that my car is stock and i have to replace it, I might as well upgrade or get a parallel option if it exists.

I was thinking about using infamous OTS tune. Is that even necessary?

It's the Typhoon intake? I have a good scaling for that you can use with a stock tune, or could be used in a custom tune to save your tuner some time. You should always, always confirm AFR with a WBO2 when fitting intakes or changing MAF scaling.

IIWY I'd just trade the K&N for a stock intake plus cash. I just don't believe the oiled cone filters do as good a job of keeping crap out of your engine as the stock paper ones, and it's a pain in the ass cleaning that oil off the MAF sensor all the time.

Yes, its a typhoon. I don't mind replacing my K&N intake - before i do, are there better options than the OEM stock intake. Given that my car is stock and i have to replace it, I might as well upgrade or get a parallel option if it exists.

I was thinking about using infamous OTS tune. Is that even necessary?

Any non-standard intake is going to need the MAF sensor rescaling. If you don't want to have it tuned, go back to a stock intake. The stocker flows enough air to support turbos way larger than OEM, and well over 300whp. There just isn't any good reason to go aftermarket until then. The stock intake is very quiet, the replacement filters can be had very cheaply, and it pulls air from a nice cool place above the grille. Look at most aftermarket intakes and you see they breathe air that's been heated by the radiator. Not good.

I don't have any direct experience using Shamar's OTS maps, but his reputation is excellent. The factory mapping leaves a lot to be desired and is compromised toward emissions and fuel economy to the detriment of performance, smoothness and even reliability.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

So for a stock car with a stage 1 OTS tune from Infamous - whats better? A K/N Typhoon or Stock intake? Advice and opinions appreciated.

Shamar most certainly has a MAF scaling on the shelf he can use for your canned tune. Stock is still better though.

You people really confuse me... spend money on parts that don't help make power yet balk at paying for a custom tune which for sure will make more power and might save you an engine. :confused:

Very funny of course to be having the proprietary vs. Opensource discussion with you Bill, of all people! ;)

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I've read that the stock intake is good up to stage3. Why would anyone consider anything else.

Keep it stock and get a tune, you don't want to be driving around on the stock MAP. It's not perfect. But it does keep the dealerships and the machine shops busy.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived