LegacyGT.com

Legacy DIT?

DrD123

I just watched the video of the new 2.0GT DIT doing some acceleration tests. The video is in Japanese so I don't know what the driver is talking about, but from the acceleration tests, to me, it looks/sounds like the CVT behaves like a traditional automatic transmission when in S# mode! Meaning it shifts by itself and does not hold the RPM in a particular spot while accelerating. Is this possible? Could it be a feature for "S#" mode vs "S" and "I" modes?

I came to this conclusion, because at the 1:06 mark, I see and hear him clicking the paddles to shift through the steps/"gears" in manual mode.

At 1:31, he does the acceleration test in S# mode, I hear the engine changing "gears" but I DID NOT see or hear the driver clicking the paddles. I do hear the engine changing tones.

And at 2:12, the driver is in I mode during the third test, and here, I hear the CVT behaving like a traditional CVT, holding the RPMs at the sweet spot while accelerating mode. I hear the engine droning on like it as held at a particular RPM.

So does anyone understand Japanese and can confirm this?

Good observations.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The future is actually making more me of a fan. The possibility of an auto, good MPG transmission with a turbo and Subaru AWD well for me and my wife thats hitting the nail on the head of both of our checklists!

All manual transmissions are indestructible and therefore will never break. Never in the history of the automobile has anybody ever destroyed any manual transmission because they built up their engine to a level it could not handle. All cvt transmissions are fragile and will break, because lord knows they could never be built with larger and/or higher strength components to handle extra torque. Vehicles with manual transmissions will easily outsell those with any other type of transmission by a huge margin because that is what sedan drivers would buy if they were given a choice. People did not buy the 5th gen LGT because it was big and they should have contined to make smaller 05-09 LGT so the WRX and LGT would serve exactly the same purpose. It is super smart for an automobile manufacturer to make different cars with the same purpose in this day and age. Subaru is really stupid for building cars that mainstream consumers will actually buy because they definitely will not be using this extra cash to help develop even higher performance cars in the future.

Does the term "disinformation" come into anybody else's mind here?

I am all for people giving their opinions, but spreading bogus formation based on no actual facts drives me nuts.

"The 5th gen Legacy is a fugly boat" - opinion

"A CVT cannot handle high levels of horsepower" - bogus information

This is actually a useful thread for a change, let's not let it devolve into a bicker-fest. We've already clearly established Subies4Life is just trolling and spreading bad info, let's ignore and move on now please.

I'm very interested to see what happens to this DIT, and if anyone can translate and paraphrase the japanese in the youtube video that would be fantastic.

Thanks Y'all.

Saying something cannot be done is the type of thinking that prevents forward progress. Subaru just posted record sales again so its great IMO to see them take a path that works better than their old ones but still look forward and innovate ways to give new experiences.

FWIW if I want to go have fun my dad lets me take his C6 Vette 6 speed manual out anytime I want. (Benefit of not being a teenager anymore) I think my 170 HP Legacy would still suck in a manual in comparison. For my daily drive I like the lazy CVT. Best automatic I've ever driven.

The Subie CVT is not the same experience as the Murano CVT. The latter is what caused the bad reputation for modern CVT:s.

So before dismissing the CVT gearbox as a concept you need to test drive several different implementations.

This...I haven't personally driven one, but most impressions I've read of the CVT in the new Impreza at least have been all positive, usually to the surprise of the reviewer who was expecting to hate the CVT.

I drove an '09 Murano w/ CVT and didn't like it at all. I later drove a '10 Legacy w/ CVT and liked it a whole lot better than the Murano CVT. Later still, I drove a '12 Impreza w/ 2nd-gen CVT, and liked it even better than the Legacy CVT. I then got a '12 Outback w/ CVT as a loaner while my Tribeca was in for service, and the only complaint I had was that it didn't have a Sport setting. You really have to put your foot into it to get it to rev up. Not so with the Impreza CVT - it seems tuned rather aggressively.

The Legacy/Outback CVT definitely needs a Sport mode, and the Impreza CVT could probably use an Economy mode. Then they'd be perfect. Paddle shifters and manual mode are great!

While I am not a huge fan of the newer Legacy's styling, it does not completely turn me off but I have to say after browsing around on Nasoic's new legacy page, I really like how they refined the looks in the new 2013 model. I am thinking that they may have taken a year off of the USDM GT to pave way for the new and improved 2014 model. Remember that our Legacys tend to lag about one year behind the JDM versions.

I can only imagine that flat as hell torque curve with nearly 300 hp/ft-lbs in stock form all while getting maybe 15% better fuel economy. And then, of course, with a nice stage 2 tune and I will be hunting 335s and S4s on the track.

Subaru of America, if you are listening, next year I will trade in my beloved 08' Spec.B for a 2014 GT Sedan with the 2.0 DI turbo and a 6-speed (from the STi, not this cable linkage crap) instead of picking up a two year old B8 S4! Please don't make me go German!

This is actually a useful thread for a change, let's not let it devolve into a bicker-fest. We've already clearly established Subies4Life is just trolling and spreading bad info, let's ignore and move on now please.

Thanks Y'all.

Guess who just became the inaugural addition to my ignore list :rolleyes:

+1 on both of those. I had bobgee on my ignore list before he got banned but at least he did actually know stuff even if I didn't agree with how he presented it.

Subie can't even string a sentence together, yet he would magically be this savior to a company that is doing better and better each year.

We've been over this before and I have owned cars that your car can't even touch from a sporty factor. To call me boring because I want to drive a reliable and comfortable DD is idiotic. I use the paddle shifters from time to time, but who cares? It's a 170hp car with AWD, it can't be that fun no matter how you slice it.

As far as retail value goes, I don't really care if it drops down to 5,000 dollars tomorrow. I'll keep it as it's great on gas, comfortable, and I like the way it looks. Guess what? I can afford to go to the dealership and by myself a "fun" car. To you it seems anything with a stick is fun though.

Subie, serious questions here. How old are you? Your rationing doesn't sound a day older than a 13 year old's and I fear that your grammar is of an even younger fella.

I dislike the 5th Gen quite a bit... that is quite well known by now. :lol: However, even I know when SOA does something right and the 5th Gen was right for them. :shrug: Sold 50% more cars and kept making the WRX/STI line into what they want enthusiasts to drive. Pretty successful if you ask me.

It's one thing to passionately hate what SOA is doing and it's another to claim you could do better than a 50% up swing in a major down turn to the economy and especially the auto industry. One is a personal opinion and one is lunacy. :)

Please PM joeleodee For All Site Questions. He is the acting Admin and can resolve anything related to LegacyGT.com

I dislike the 5th Gen quite a bit... that is quite well known by now. :lol: However, even I know when SOA does something right and the 5th Gen was right for them. :shrug: Sold 50% more cars and kept making the WRX/STI line into what they want enthusiasts to drive. Pretty successful if you ask me.

It's one thing to passionately hate what SOA is doing and it's another to claim you could do better than a 50% up swing in a major down turn to the economy and especially the auto industry. One is a personal opinion and one is lunacy. :)

Finally some actual sense!

Anyways...blah,blah...@ssholes are like opinions, yes?

I find 5th gens ugly but love that DIT engine. I'd like a 6/eat dual clutch trans please.

As long as it helps Subaru meet CAFE standards, it's probably in play. Must be tough at the corporate level to think about CAFE with the built-in MPG penalty of AWD.

Moving on from the reality check about the need for Sylvan Learning Centers...

I'm kind of wondering if the engine lineup for the future Legacy is going to be the 1.6 liter turbo and 2.0 liter turbo. Even if a stronger cvt is introduced, will this be enough to allow the continued existence of the 3.6? It is probably too much to hope for, but a Legacy STI with a twin turbo 3.6 DIT would be pretty cool. Both a CVT and 6 speed manual please.

Well seeing how the big 3 (audi, bmw, mercedes) have scrapped their larger engines for smaller ones with forced induction, I think that's probably pretty likely. I'm sure the 3.6's days are limited...

On the other hand, most of the Japanese have opted to add or keep their sixes in new product... Acura TSX, new RDX... Nissan specifically stated they were keeping the 6 in the Altima because that's what their customers want. Sixes aren't dead yet...

yet...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'm kind of wondering if the engine lineup for the future Legacy is going to be the 1.6 liter turbo and 2.0 liter turbo.

I'm curious what Subaru is going to bring over, engine-wise - there is an article where they expressed that they might not bring over the turbocharged direct injection engine, so who knows. I'd be surprised to see them drop to 1.6L in the Legacy, or go to turbocharged across the board - too many folks associate turbocharged with boy-racer, I think... I would think they'd keep the 2.5L NA engine around...

as for the H6, I dunno - if they nix the tribeca, they don't really have a need for a larger displacement engine, so maybe they could replace it with the 2.0 turbo (certainly in terms of performance characteristics, that would be just fine) - that being said, I think the H6 has probably always outsold the turbocharged engines in the Legacy, so maybe that stays as the flagship model?

I'm a big MT fan as well - but I could probably live with a decent AT that had an effective manual mode... whether that's pretend gears in a CVT or real ones in a 5AT or something like that would not matter as long as the system works well...

• 2 weeks later...

I just watched the video of the new 2.0GT DIT doing some acceleration tests. The video is in Japanese so I don't know what the driver is talking about, but from the acceleration tests, to me, it looks/sounds like the CVT behaves like a traditional automatic transmission when in S# mode! Meaning it shifts by itself and does not hold the RPM in a particular spot while accelerating. Is this possible? Could it be a feature for "S#" mode vs "S" and "I" modes?

So does anyone understand Japanese and can confirm this?

Update:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=37393355&postcount=197

kinoppyus from NASIOC confirmed my observations:

The DIT in S# mode goes into traditional auto mode and emulates 8 gears to take advantage of the engine potential and also automatically up shifts unless you use the paddles. I just heard this from my buddy that lives in japan and test drove this beast. If I remember correctly, the max rpm was around 6000ish which is low for a boxer. If I'm wrong, I got bum info.

Archived