LegacyGT.com

Low compression in Cyl. 2 -- where to go from here?

• I Donated
Bearings

new rod bolts (?)

If it's the piston, and the cylinder walls are okay, I'm planning on replacing all four but not splitting the block. I have heard that there are access doors to get to the pins holding them in. Although, I would have to buy the pins, too. I assume that's a minimal expense.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yea that's right. Yes there are plugs on the front of the block and panels behind the flywheel to access the rear piston pins.

I think Subaru piston set should come with snap rings and pins. Do a web search and find out.

You going with OEM pistons or Wisceo's or CP's ?

What about a clutch ?

Do you need a Torx Plus tp50 ?

I have a extra set of WRX flywheel bolts that I bought just in case but I need the tp50's for my Al FW.

Thinking about it, I guess you can hone the cylinders with the rods in ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• I Donated
You going with OEM pistons or Wisceo's or CP's ?

Probably Wisecos.

What about a clutch ?

Got a CM FX300 sitting in my garage now. If the compression test was okay, I was going to install it; as it is, install will be a bit easier.

Do you need a Torx Plus tp50 ?

I have a SMFW with regular bolts. I dealt with the TP50 last time around, and am glad I don't have to this time around.

I found that the 1/2 impact and the bit from Fred Beans made fast work of the torx plus tp50. To be honest with you, I don't understand why people complain about them, it was that easy.

I bet I can have my machine shop open up the bolt holes so they will fit real bolts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• I Donated
I found that the 1/2 impact and the bit from Fred Beans made fast work of the torx plus tp50. To be honest with you, I don't understand why people complain about them, it was that easy.

If you don't hit the bolts just right, you strip the bit, the bolt, or both. I nearly stripped two of the bolts, but managed to carefully position the bit to get them out.

I think you can reuse the OEM head bolts. I would check with a Subaru tech first. My research tells me they are not stretch bolts, and as such are reuseable.

You shoulnd't need a new timing belt. If you need an old one, I can get you my "tool" timing belt for removing the cam pulleys.

• I Donated
I think you can reuse the OEM head bolts. I would check with a Subaru tech first. My research tells me they are not stretch bolts, and as such are reuseable.

I might go to the dealer and ask, then.

You shoulnd't need a new timing belt. If you need an old one, I can get you my "tool" timing belt for removing the cam pulleys.

I mean, I don't NEED a new timing belt, but wouldn't it make sense, since I'm in there anyway?

So you don't use the cam tool, you just tension a belt and take the bolt off that way? The cam tool is EXPENSIVE, so it would be nice not to have to get it.

Update: engine is out. Bringing it into work tomorrow and getting it set up on the stand.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a325/thefultonhow/Subaru/IMG_20120506_143553.jpg

Wow that was quick!

And you're right, while you got the engine out replace all the wear and tear parts. ie spark plugs, belts, gaskets/O rings etc. It'll be a lot easier to refresh the engine while it's out rather than fighting with it in the car.

I have no control over drippie.

If you don't hit the bolts just right, you strip the bit, the bolt, or both. I nearly stripped two of the bolts, but managed to carefully position the bit to get them out.

Yep, you need to make sure you have the right angle and push the gun into the bolt.

• Mega Users
I used a chain wrench as well. I wouldn't do it again though. It scored the crank pulley pretty good. Not really any damage and the belts are fine on it, but it will leave some marks.

A fuel pump is not something that you need to replace "just in case", ESPECIALLY considering the price. Had to order mine directly from Bosch and it was still almost $300.

Rather, a fuel pump assembly. My mistake.

• I Donated
Wow that was quick!

Not wasting anytime are you...

It only took me about 5 hours, taking my time. This is the third time I've pulled a Subaru engine, and so I've figured out a lot of the tricks. Subaru engines are certainly easier than FWD stuff like my old G20.

I'm a little lazy and don't feel like searching... it's the intake cam on the driver's side that wants to rotate, right? Any tricks to not have it do that?

Archived