LegacyGT.com

Windows 7 Starter?

BarManBean

• Moderators

I'm wanting to trade my laptop for a smaller netbook since I only really use it for logging. It seems that a lot of them come with Windows 7 Starter--anyone have experience/success setting up that OS for use with a vagcom? Part of me thinks I should finish out my tuning process with a machine that is already setup to work correctly, but part of me is tired of lugging a 15" laptop around just for logging.

Any input on what OS is best (or worst / doesn't work) is appreciated!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

7 starter is just a basic OS. you can't change wallpapers, not many user options, ect. It's clean, simple, and doesn't have a lot of junk to slow it down. It would prob work for your needs, but I'd look into something with a 13" screen. They're lighter, (mine is about 4lbs) and of course, a larger screen always makes ***t easier

• Mega Users

I thought the larger screen would be better as well because I'm used to leaving it on the passenger seat. But then I realized that people with netbooks just put it on their lap while they're driving and it is actually more convenient.

It will work fine with win7 starter. If you don't like the OS, there are other...methods...of getting a better OS. If I eventually buy a laptop specifically for tuning, it will be a netbook if I don't end up converting my POS laptop into a CarPC.

• Moderators

Cool. I just found out the one that I might trade for has XP, which I think I'd actually prefer, especially with only 1GB of RAM.

The bigger screen is nice for sure, but if I'm in my house I have a macbook pro that I'm going to pick up 100% of the time. The only time I'm using the windows laptop I have is for logging, so the screen really only has to be big enough so that I can see the "start logging" button, lol.

I think I'll get everything setup on my work laptop before trading my other just so I don't get stuck without the ability to log/flash and then I'll make the trade.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Sounds like a good plan. I'm also a MBP user first and foremost, but I just ordered a Netbook to use for ECUFlash, RR, and LV. I went with a 12" (a little more resolution than the smaller ones that are stuck with 1024x768), with Windows 7 Pro 32-bit. I also use the Tactrix 2.0 cable, and might set that up for logging as well, but the Netbook seemed like the right way to go even though I did have access to some full size windows based laptops. Size matters!

I use a Toshiba 10.1" netbook for flashing and logging. I do all my log analysis and map changes on a larger laptop though. The netbook I have has windows 7 starter on it and I only use it for school/websurfing but mainly just logging. It works great with the OP2.0 and fast polling. My VAGCOM cable kept cutting out when I was using that but it may have just been the cable.

It works great for logging/flashing. Battery life is 8+(?) hours. I can also look at maps and logs although loading the maps takes awhile. Netbook+Tactrix+Wideband were the best investments made for my car.

I wouldn't recommend running airboy log interpretation stuff or excel tools on the netbook.

the screen really only has to be big enough so that I can see the "start logging" button, lol.

Not even, you could just use the defroster button to start logging.

Get an Asus 1215n dual core atom 1.8ghz and a 12" screen. Or you could get the Asus Lamborghini VX6 I have that one its quite good. the 1215N is basically the exact same minus the bluetooth and it cost a little less. They both come with home premium 64bit

For $100 less than that Asus you could get an Acer One 11.6" HD LED with Win 7 Pro 32-bit (especially nice if you run Vag-Com for driver purposes), AMD C-50 dual core proc, 2GB DDR3 RAM, 250GB HD, card reader, HDMI out, and Bluetooth with a 6-cell battery...

For a logging/LV/flashing rig this is plenty of HP. I won't say this is the baddest netbook out there by any means, but I'm using it for this role without issue, and rely on my 15" i7 MBP for serious mobile computing...

Oh and it comes in three colors so you can match your other mods (available in black, blue, and red). LOL!

Archived