LegacyGT.com

How Fast have you gotten your GT up to.

psucaptainkickass

Sorry, my "general aerodynamics mathematics" comes from CFD time with aircraft, automobiles, and boats, and a good bit of wind tunnel experience...

I guess you trumped me with that tuning shop thing...

Yeah, I'd say that the assessment of someone who's worked with these specific top-mount cooled forced induction automobiles for a great deal of time would trump someone who has general experience in the field, aeronautical engineer or not.

The fact that you have that experience only makes it more dissapointing that you think it's ridiculous.. It's not like this is the only design with the same limitations.. I already mentioned the old GTO's (though their vents weren't functional anyways).

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My post actually refers to the fact that it is not general. I used that because I was making light of the "general aero math" comment. I actually do have extensive knowledge on a very similar shape, that is where the comments come from. I'll see if I can get video (it would be real easy to do, I just need to get a video camera to do it, and a place to do a safe high-speed run) to back up my apparent complete stupidity...

If anyone wants to volunteer, pm me and I will tell you how to verify whether or not air is going in the scoop.

Ted

:spin:

And my original comment about 'general' meant precisely what it means, that your knowledge of aeronautics, aerodynamics, and fluidic properties are only applicable in this situation if you have specific experience or data with the singular characteristics of this particular vehicle. It's not complete stupidity, it's the fact that you're missing so many variables at this point that it was foolish of you to drop your intellectual hammer like that, when you are likely to be wrong.

The easiest way to illustrate what I'm talking about is one of the side-view wind-tunnel tests where one passes a stream of smoke up over the vehicle to test for turbulence, drag coeficient, etc. Obviously, the characteristics of the airstream moving over the vehicle changes with increasing speed. What I've been led to understand is that at around 136-140, air begins moving in a fashion that not enough goes through the scoop to allow for reliable cooling.

I've gotten mine up to 130 dry road, hydroplaned at a 110 pulling away from a 350z the guy went nuts and two days later came into my dealership and baught one for his wife( so he said). She now drives the 350Z.:D:confused:
I keed I keeed

I think we need substance on either end - pics/data/quantifiable experience would be MOST applicable here vs. theory - or what appears to be theory/word of mouth from both ends.

oh... and maybe a new thread to address it.. hehehehe just my HO :lol::D

The airflow through the hoodscoop isn't really a huge issue anyway... the worst thing that would happen if air stopped flowing through it on the fun side of 140 mph would be an eventual loss in power... it's not going to grenade the engine, you'll just get less cooling of the intake charge as the airflow is reduced, which will eventually reduce available power. It's not like it's the engine-cooling radiator up there.

DKB

The airflow through the hoodscoop isn't really a huge issue anyway... the worst thing that would happen if air stopped flowing through it on the fun side of 140 mph would be an eventual loss in power... it's not going to grenade the engine, you'll just get less cooling of the intake charge as the airflow is reduced, which will eventually reduce available power. It's not like it's the engine-cooling radiator up there.

DKB

I agree, however I can't blame Subaru's engineers for putting a limiter there from the factory, it's a good a place to put one as any, especially considering they have to warranty these vehicles.

Beyond the incarceration limit. Proof is on the GPS, I always reset everything but the top speed...to just see if I settle a new "record". I wouldn't admit to any number it but it is in the low triple digits.

The only way to test serious speed.

Highest speed I hit in an unmodified production USDM Subaru was 150MPH...but it wasn't a Legacy. Not an STI, either. :D

Ryan Douthit

Subiesport Magazine

http://www.subiesport.com

As another engineer (mechanical), I have to side with praedet that airflow will go into the vent. There is a high pressure region in front of the windshield that is higher in pressure than the under side of the car. Air naturally will flow from high pressure to low pressure, in this case through the vent. Even if you were to remove the scoop and just have an opening, as long as the opening was placed in a high pressure area, you will get airflow.

The old GTO is a bad example since the car has never been in a wind tunnel. I highly doubt you will find smooth laminar flow anywhere on that car. If you have turbulent air over a vent, you aren't going to get any airflow.

Whether or not there is sufficient airflow for cooling isn't just based on how much airflow the scoop is taking in. The most important factor is the intercooler design. I'm not bored enough to actually calculate what is ideal parameters are for the stock intercooler. But I can tell you, it was design to operate efficiently at certain airflow rate since the hydrodynamic boundary layer and thermal boundary layer both come into play. Man, I don't even want to start thinking about Reynolds number.

malfeas99, you should be careful when you start arguing about something you don't have first hand knowledge of. Right now you are trying to argue against an aeronautical engineer with information you heard from someone else. That doesn't give you much credibility. Right now you have as much credibility as Tom Cruise talking about psychiatry.

Wow, with the in-laws, :lol:. Did they get a heart attack? Or are you trying to kill them?

they did inform me that they no longer need to travel on the autobahn in germany, as I fulfilled that "dream." They didn't know a car could go that fast... it was a little over 200 kmh for them. :p

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

Anyone know about 10 miles of open road in the Western USA, were we can do 130+ for 5 minutes to see how a GT really flyes - without risking death or a ticket?

I used to drive my girlfriends car from Budapest to Zagreb - and there is a nice 20 mile strech were I would do 130 for quiet sometime. Very intense.

Got a taste of it in Utah at 120 - but I know that the GT was good for another 20+.

I would love to try that again with an AP to get rid of the limiter and see just what it can do.

I really liked the stability of the car above 110.

180 kph ( 113 mph ) with the car still pulling strongly

Where I live if I exceed the speed limit by 110kph

( about 70mph ), I lose all my demerit points, and

may be charged criminally for wreckless ( cop's call ).

My all-time high was 195kph (122mph ) with

my Honda CRX on a stretch of highway towards

Montreal's airport around 2AM in the morning

( I even turned the headlights to avoid detection )

I was about 19 then and not particularily bright

let me tell you...

Archived