LegacyGT.com

How Fast have you gotten your GT up to.

psucaptainkickass

Sorry, I started this thread but was too busy to post lately. Thanks for all the responses! Anyone notice any violent vibrations at those speed. I just got mine and I am in the 1000 mile break in period!

No vibrations, no shakes.

I was actually very surprised at the high-speed stability of this car, someone at FHI has obviously done a lot of aero-homework!

No white-knuckling, just gentle guidance with both hands at governed top-speed.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just curious if anyone has noticed if the factory wing adds any stability while cruising 100+. Has anyone driven wing vs. wingless back to back?

I Personally liked the "stealth" factor of not having a wing put on, so I don't have one, but the car was rock solid as far as I pushed (...she is still a baby)

I drove my 97 Outback across Kansas...I started out around 80, but after 2 hours or so, I was soooo sick of I-70.. I decided to start pushing, before I knew it I was cruising around 116 mph (the limiter kicked in at about 117) I ended up finishing out the state that way...I'd run the gas tank down, pull over, get gas, and run back up to 116...no cops in site...actually nothing at ALL in site. LOL It was amazing how fast I'd burn thorugh a tank of gas though.

85 max on the GT, 135 on the ZX-6r, could have gone faster but i chickened out. Something about that white line becoming solid, the street turning a solid grey, the sound of Junebugs hitting the visor at the speed of a 22 cal, and the thought of me falling at that speed without any leathers on made me slow down :)

Gotta love the sound of an engine at 11k rpm though.

With one passenger, 135 on the thruway(I-87) at around 10:30pm, on my way to Dave & Buster's(Palisades Mall), while trying to catch up with my co-workers that had left Woodbury Commons about 20 minutes before me.

No worries with the police at all(friends ahead of me kept me posted as to if there were any boys in blue). Ahh the wonderful world of Nextel!!!;)

0 - 180 I was doing 140 at the time I did that with about >1km of clear highway in front of me. Got there pretty fast. I'm sure it would have gone a lot faster if I didn't ease up my rpms where around 4500....

I'd recommend against that unless you have a FMIC. The reason the governor is set to that speed is that the air no longer goes into the hood scoop at speeds exceeding 140.
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read...

Please only post on things you know about. You won't get air in the hood scoop at about .1-.25 mph. After that, the boundary layer is smaller than the hood scoop, so you do feed the intercooler. To be more specific, at 150 mph, if you have a laminar boundary layer, you are looking at a BL of .072 inches, if it is turbulent, (more likely) you are at .45 inches. At a single point, the BL is going to get smaller that faster you go...

In other words, the statement in quotes is utter horse poop. You will have less hood scoop interference from the BL the faster you go, plus you will be pushing more air in. So, while the intercooler is not truly more efficient at high speeds, it will do its job better...

Ted

Cliff notes: The quote is wrong, more air in scoop when you go faster…

:spin:

Is it just a rumour or does the boost drop to 1-2 over 100mph? I've heard it does this because the air flowing over the scoop instead of into the scoop. Where has Subaru documented this? Thanks.
2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Luxomissle waGONE

Is it just a rumour or does the boost drop to 1-2 over 100mph? I've heard it does this because the air flowing over the scoop instead of into the scoop. Where has Subaru documented this? Thanks
No, it's not true...

Is it just a rumour or does the boost drop to 1-2 over 100mph? I've heard it does this because the air flowing over the scoop instead of into the scoop. Where has Subaru documented this? Thanks.

On some turbo Subarus there is a soft speed limiter via boost control. Once you hit the target speed, the boost control solenoid duty cycle hits 0%. Boost then drops to the mechanical setting of the wastegate, usually 7-8 psi. Engine power drops, and speed drops as a result.

No idea if this is because of any IC issues. I believe they stopped using this method as they adopted electronic throttle control on the 2.5L turbo motors.

On my last camping trip, I topped at 120 a couple of times.

On one strech I got to 120 and stayed there for about 5 minutes = 6 miles.

The car had myself, girl and about 300 lbs of camping crap.

We were at an elevation of 3000+ feet.

The car was stable even in a cross wind, and I was running the engine above 5600 rpm.

I did wish for slower compression damping in the stock shocks.

Thinkin' about them coilovers...

I also did a several 70-100mph passes on 3%-6% grade hills, just drop it into 4 th and floor it - next thing you know, your at 100.

Really, the car is a dream!!!

• 3 weeks later...
This is one of the funniest things I have ever read...

Please only post on things you know about. You won't get air in the hood scoop at about .1-.25 mph. After that, the boundary layer is smaller than the hood scoop, so you do feed the intercooler. To be more specific, at 150 mph, if you have a laminar boundary layer, you are looking at a BL of .072 inches, if it is turbulent, (more likely) you are at .45 inches. At a single point, the BL is going to get smaller that faster you go...

In other words, the statement in quotes is utter horse poop. You will have less hood scoop interference from the BL the faster you go, plus you will be pushing more air in. So, while the intercooler is not truly more efficient at high speeds, it will do its job better...

Ted

Cliff notes: The quote is wrong, more air in scoop when you go faster…

Now you've pissed me off, and I'm going to shut you down like the complete tard you are.

The fact is, at those speeds, the air coming up over the front of the car is angled too high to get any significant amount into the intercooler, because of the aerodynamic characteristics of the front of the car as a whole.

It's the same reason that even if the hood vents on the old GTO's were functional, they wouldn't work, because they were set far too back for air to get into them at any appreciable speed.

Of course, since you're good at math, your knowledge obviously trumps the words of a gentleman doing all the subaru building and tuning for probably the best performance shop in the southeast, and possibly the entire eastern seaboard.

If you like, I'll have him stop by this thread and make you look like more of an idiot.

I apologize for the abrasiveness of my post, when people exercise the combination of a) Acting like they know everything about everything b) Belittling those they believe to be wrong, and c) Are wrong themselves, I get very put out.

Could the guy I got my info from be wrong? Yes, but it's not likely. It's certainly less likely than the yahoo who's throwing up general aerodynamic mathematics that have virtually no bearing on this particular point as an excuse to call me a moron.

Sorry, my "general aerodynamics mathematics" comes from CFD time with aircraft, automobiles, and boats, and a good bit of wind tunnel experience...

I guess you trumped me with that tuning shop thing...

than the yahoo
Do you Yahoo? :)

Ted

Oh yeah, Back on topic, I have been on the positive side of the century mark. How much above, well I will say that I wouldn't just be paying a fine! :lol:

Archived