LegacyGT.com

water pump at 105k service? - WAY OT

subie.snob

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know more about timing belt theory than everyone in this thread.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I know more about timing belt theory than everyone in this thread.

drop some knowledge in this biotch then mad scientist...

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii287/bac52/card.jpg

Timing belt coming off? Replace everything it touches that will eventually wear out.

Water pump? Replace it.

Tensioner? Replace it.

Idler? Replace it.

Do you HAVE to? No.

Should you? Yes.

/thread about replacing the water pump at the timing belt service.

Oh, and regarding brands, I'd use a Gates timing belt without hesitation. Gates is one of the worlds largest manufacturers of belts. I'd use an OEM pump, though. The stocker lasted 100k, why mess with success?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I find it amazing that the guy has the money to pay Subaru for all of the labor associated with a timing belt change instead of doing it himself for $350 and the cost of a six pack for rewarding himself but he can't pay an extra $60 to replace the water pump

Timing belt coming off? Replace everything it touches that will eventually wear out.

Water pump? Replace it.

Tensioner? Replace it.

Idler? Replace it.

Do you HAVE to? No.

Should you? Yes.

/thread about replacing the water pump at the timing belt service.

Oh, and regarding brands, I'd use a Gates timing belt without hesitation. Gates is one of the worlds largest manufacturers of belts. I'd use an OEM pump, though. The stocker lasted 100k, why mess with success?

exactly what I said. I have had too many parts from automotive places (such as napa) that look just great on the outside but are not as well built. A lot of stuff is refurbished actually.

exactly what I said. I have had too many parts from automotive places (such as napa) that look just great on the outside but are not as well built. A lot of stuff is refurbished actually.

That being said, I think that the gates timing belt kit with gates water pump has been used successfully by oodles of people for tens of thousands of miles without issue. At least I know that I have yet to see a "Gates water pump failure" thread

That being said, I think that the gates timing belt kit with gates water pump has been used successfully by oodles of people for tens of thousands of miles without issue. At least I know that I have yet to see a "Gates water pump failure" thread

There is nothing wrong with the Gates pump. They make good stuff that's reliable. I'd just go with the OEM.

Of course he said that. The timing belt is not a difficult job on these cars and if a customer can get milked for labor then it's all well and good. Might as well charge two separate labor costs for when the water pump does go out. There IS such a thing as preventative maintenance and in cases like this, it should be practiced.

$150 labor on my timing belt only/tensionor :) I'll "chance" the water pump. I skipped on two Honda Civic's and VW Jetta run till 200-230k, no problems. Maybe luck will run out on the LGT but I am betting $150 it won't happen.

$150 labor on my timing belt only/tensionor :) I'll "chance" the water pump. I skipped on two Honda Civic's and VW Jetta run till 200-230k, no problems. Maybe luck will run out on the LGT but I am betting $150 it won't happen.

You do understand that a water pump failure CAN destroy the timing belt, right?

I find it amazing that the guy has the money to pay Subaru for all of the labor associated with a timing belt change instead of doing it himself for $350 and the cost of a six pack for rewarding himself but he can't pay an extra $60 to replace the water pump

"penny wise pound foolish" comes to mind...

150 dollars???? You're really going out on a limb and betting the farm on this one aren't you?

You changed my pane of consciousness right there. i am going to go back in and replace the replacement pump with the original this weekend on my car! :cool:

You do understand that a water pump failure CAN destroy the timing belt, right?

Maybe it could. I will likely do it in 70k more miles at the next timing belt change. I don't believe water pump failure is common in Subaru but anything can happen.

Still running the original turbo with 3k dino oil changes too....

My wife almost only had the throw out bearing changed out for $425, but got the full clutch for $850 at mechanic's recommendation with a cleaned up flywheel.

Can't say you weren't warned.

• Mega Users

Holy shit, this thread...:spin:

I'll just jump right out and say it. If you replace your timing belt and ignore the pulleys and water pump, you are an idiot. Maybe the waterpump will last, maybe not. But it's a stupid gamble. If money's tight, then get the ebay gates kit. $250 shipped for the belt, all pulleys, and water pump. I changed my belt, pulleys, and water pump at 115k miles. I had a pulley that sounded like it had sand in the bearings and the idler gear rattled when I shook it. All the grease had leaked out. It was about ready to fail catastrophically.

I just used the gates water pump gasket. It is paper while I think the subaru one was rubber. I doubt it will be a problem since I've never heard of anyone having it leak.

It's not a hard job if you're patient and thorough. But an extra set of hands, an allen wrench that fits the lower cam, and a rubber strap wrench on the top one makes lining things up extremely easy. The hardest part for me was disconnecting the hoses from the water pump. Those fvckers did not want to come off!

There is nothing wrong with the Gates pump. They make good stuff that's reliable. I'd just go with the OEM.

Gates makes the OEM water pump, according to FBP. BMX said that the impellers are different, which is why I'm going with OEM.

ib4thisthreadgetshickstad

Before? :lol:

I said the "quality appeared to be the same" assnut. All of my posts are me just talking out of my ass. Do you pay attention?

See, this attitude is why nobody likes you. Sucks that your generation can't sufficiently explain their ideas in a coherent manner

Archived