LegacyGT.com

water pump at 105k service? - WAY OT

subie.snob

Ummm. Cam seals are easy to do if you have the specific tool to hold the gear in place and have a wicked strong allen bit for the bolt, since evidently Subaru farmed out cam gear bolt tensioning to Godzilla. Anyone who's done this in their garage can attest to that.

I've done it, it sucks, it would suck even more to take it all apart again just to do that...

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do bother with the water pump. Ask me about the time I helped my buddy with his WRX do the timing belt in the late fall and he skipped out on the water pump and it started leaking 2 weeks later and by that time it was too cold to do the work ourselves and he couldn't afford to shell out the money for labor for a Subaru dealer to do it themselves so he drove the car around leaking for a month until it would overheat after driving for 20 minutes so he had to let it sit for the winter and he had to drive his sister's Hello Kitty Eclipse around and try to take girls on date with it.

Go ahead, ask me.

the gates pump isn't poor quality, it's just not oem. just because it's oem doesn't always make it better. what i do know, and this is after doing my components and water pump twice in the past month is, the pump is of equal quality to the oem, however the gates gasket is crap, so get a subaru gasket. i'm sure alberto already told you that. everything else that comes in the kit of of acceptable quality for the long haul.

you just replaced them. did you construct the water pump yourself? you can't speak to the quality of the internal parts of the water pump unless you assembled it yourself or you have been running it for a number of miles.

have you ever tried getting the cam gears off a turbo subaru before? even with the subaru tool you need two people, and almost need to jump on the breaker and specialty tool to remove them, if the hex bolt doesn't strip. Sometimes the bolts are seized in and cannot come off, or you eventually strip the hex bolt all together.

they are unlike any other. i wish they didn't use a hex key. the subaru tool is definitely a well-worth purchase if you EVER plan on doing it. When I took mine off we had me and alberto leaning on two 24" breaker bars (one is the subaru tool with star clamp function, the other a standard 1/2" breaker) and after a couple full-body-weight bounces they broke loose. and that was on my 08 with 55k miles. :lol: there's a few cams floating around the shop with the AVCS cam gear seized onto them, needed to dremel cut the gear in half in order to remove the avcs/cam seal cap from the head.

Wow, that sucks. On the VG you can pull the gears off with your bare hands. Intake gears are one bolt, exhaust are four 10mm bolts. The crank sprocket however is significantly more difficult.

Back on topic, just do the ******* water pump

Wow, that sucks. On the VG you can pull the gears off with your bare hands. Intake gears are one bolt, exhaust are four 10mm bolts. The crank sprocket however is significantly more difficult.

Back on topic, just do the ******* water pump

I'd love to but no $$. Should I pay for half an hour's labor to do the wp seal or just leave it for next time?

Do bother with the water pump. Ask me about the time I helped my buddy with his WRX do the timing belt in the late fall and he skipped out on the water pump and it started leaking 2 weeks later and by that time it was too cold to do the work ourselves and he couldn't afford to shell out the money for labor for a Subaru dealer to do it themselves so he drove the car around leaking for a month until it would overheat after driving for 20 minutes so he had to let it sit for the winter and he had to drive his sister's Hello Kitty Eclipse around and try to take girls on date with it.

Go ahead, ask me.

Did he end up blowing the engine?

I'd love to but no $$. Should I pay for half an hour's labor to do the wp seal or just leave it for next time?

Do what you want, obviously you're not listening to people who say change it...

Did he end up blowing the engine?

2 things can happen with an old water pump: seal leaks and car overheats or bearing seizes and destroys things. He was lucky it was only a leak since you can spot that before things get catastrophic

I have worked on cars with the gates timing kit with upwards of 60k miles on the pump, it has lasted. Comparing the two pumps side by side they look identical except for the turbine, it's a different style but aside from that the quality of the aluminum looks the same. I know of many people with tens of thousands of miles on the gates pump and it hasn't failed yet. Go get an oem pump if your little vagina desires, I don't give a shit.

aaand, that attitude is why nobody likes you.

You neglected to mention any of this information when you made your statement about the quality of the gates pump. It's too bad this generation lacks significantly in the ability to properly write down their ideas with a coherent structure and the supporting information; which validates or supports their opinion.

Yes, that is precisely why nobody likes me, my sentence structure for conveying thoughts and opinions. You got it, right on the money. I didn't properly "write down" (on the internet) supporting data for my opinion thus rendering a reply of "talking out my ass" instead of "have you had first hand experience?" by you. That was the best reply you could come up with? Usually, if a user wants more information about another's opinion or experience, you ask them, not accuse them of talking out their ass.

It's too bad your generation are crabby and seem to have multiple objects inserted and twisted within one's anal tract.

Deal with it.

Yes, that is precisely why nobody likes me, my sentence structure for conveying thoughts and opinions. You got it, right on the money. I didn't properly "write down" (on the internet) supporting data for my opinion thus rendering a reply of "talking out my ass" instead of "have you had first hand experience?" by you. That was the best reply you could come up with? Usually, if a user wants more information about another's opinion or experience, you ask them, not accuse them of talking out their ass.

It's too bad your generation are crabby and seem to have multiple objects inserted and twisted within one's anal tract.

Deal with it.

well yes, it's like when a little boy puts an ant under a magnifying glass, it's fun to watch you squirm and get super defensive for no reason :spin:

also, we're the same generation :lol:

and in closing, deal with what? There is nothing to deal with here. only a nut job would be personally offended by what some stranger on the Internet said about them.

but I digress, so BMX, are you actually turning the wrenches on your car or just watching the mechanics do the work? there is a lot of "we" and "us" in your comments. it sounds like your doing all this work out of your shop with your tools?

hahahaha the mods love banning bmx. I think they take turns doing it

its like a WWF team match. The next mod is hangin on the ropes with his hand up...

"tag me in man"

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-656xnyDhQss/TWauwGNyF6I/AAAAAAAADc4/b7o7Lh2lZdY/s1600/wwf_costumes_1.jpg

Archived