LegacyGT.com

New Ball Joint needed at 48k Miles?? Normal?

• 3 weeks later...
I wanted to give everyone an update after the whole ball joint issue I ran into at the dealership. I was presented the bill and paid it. I asked to speak to the manager, but he was unavailible. I called and asked for him the next day and explained the whole story about how I was ripped off and how I had to purchase parts that I didn't need due to inexperience of the tech who couldn't get the ball joint out. He agreed that something could have been done better to handle the situation. He said that he would talk to the tech/Subaru and see if they could take off some of the charges. I hear back from him on Monday and he said that Subaru is going to pay for the Hub and Spindle which is a credit of $380. So after everything was said and done, my bill was for the ball joint, alignment, and labor to do the work. So sometimes it pays to say something if you are feeling that you were ripped off. I got my check in the mail yesterday.

So you had that Subaru Dealership fix it and do an alignment or did you go elsewhere?

So the manager talked with SOA about the repair bill?

So they are paying for an Hub and spindle that u didn't even need and give u a bill for the Ball-joint/labor and alignment that u probably didn't need.

Sure, U are getting an check back but that shouldn't of even left your account anyways.

They still got $ out of u and scrammed u.

Sure u even got new parts?

Our/My advice, No more going to Dealerships unless there is a recall or is under warranty.

Heck, the last time I went in for warranty work for the extended rear wheel bearing coverage, They(Subaru Dealership) said I needed an new front wheel bearing too. Forgot how much they said but it was BS.

Fine to this day still

So no more noise when from the 'bad" ball joints?

Always be clear on what you authorize and state no repair to be done without your consent. Also If they claim a vehicle is no longer driveable most cases a $50 tow truck charge to a different shop that will save hundreds is worth it.

Wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I had a hard time getting my ball joints out. Tried on 3 separate days and neither one would move more than a mm or 2. Then I found this:

http://turninconcepts.com/product_info.php?products_id=1134

Had both ball joints completely replaced in 15 minutes.

OP Glad you got some of your money back. You should tell the dealership to invest in this $45 tool so they don't screw over other customers.

So you had that Subaru Dealership fix it and do an alignment or did you go elsewhere?

So the manager talked with SOA about the repair bill?

Sure u even got new parts?

So no more noise when from the 'bad" ball joints?

Yes I had them do the work and alignment. From what I understood, the manager talked to Subaru about the issue and they reimbursed the dealership the money back to give me. As far as the new parts, I am sure the parts were new...I saw the work order for them. The funny thing was I didn't have any noise or anything when I brought it into get inspected. They noticed play in the wheel when they were inspecting it. So in all reality...if I would have taken it somewhere else, they probably wouldn't have even noticed it. Just my luck sometimes :rolleyes:

Thanks Cypher for sharing the tool...I will send the manager of the dealership the link and recommend that they purchase it. They did try heat, but couldn't get the ball to budge.

One more thing. If you do decide to have this dealership fix it. Stay with and watch em fix it. Never drop it off and go home/work/read a magazine/take a nap. They may not of even replaced it since they couldn't even take it off. Always watch em fix your car(start to finish) even if you don't know much. That's what I always do, that way I know that it was actually replaced and not a I think it was replaced.

This is kind of bullshit. What do you do for work?

And I have changed plenty of Subaru ball joints. The pinch bolt ALWAYS breaks.. its as simple as drilling it out and replacing the bolt. Once it has been drilled out, all you have to do is take an air hammer to the side of it and it will slide right out.

And I have changed plenty of Subaru ball joints. The pinch bolt ALWAYS breaks.. its as simple as drilling it out and replacing the bolt. Once it has been drilled out, all you have to do is take an air hammer to the side of it and it will slide right out.

I've only changed 2 subaru ball joints but neither pinch bolt broke. Use some kroil and things loosen up nicely

Damn that really sucks! In the past couple of months I have actually gotten pretty good at changing ball joints. Even cut a tool out of some scrap steel to do the job. I might have to make the tool Cypher posted the link about!

I've only changed 2 subaru ball joints but neither pinch bolt broke. Use some kroil and things loosen up nicely

Not even an acetalyne torch would break these free.

Archived