LegacyGT.com

Consistant trouble with my E-tune

paintpollz

Ha, Ha. Vista blew chunks, so I ditched it. Still have 3 rigs running XP and enough parts for 1 more. Plus, I have slip streamed in the drivers for newer MB's and drives into an XP disc. So, I have the ability to take a brand new "dell" laptop and wipe it out, then load XP, Lol.

Man I must be getting old fighting desperately to cling to the OS I know best and not having to learn another. I used to tease my uncle about all his Win98 machines. Now I feel like him. Lol.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having seen the rise of Windows entirely... my first "PC" ran DOS, my first "gamer" was a Commodore 64, I can say whole heatedly that XP has been the most stable and easy to use platform I have encountered from Microsoft. Honestly, I have not ever tried 7, other than web searching on someone else laptop.

Getting old sucks. But it WILL happen to you all too. Lol.

For any of the newer versions of Windows, anyone that has a problem with being files and what not being not found or something, it's because of UAC (User Account Control) which is a security feature of Vista and later that prevents programs from writing to the c:\program files folders if they don't request permission properly.

RR doesn't do it properly, so when you configure RR to look in a folder for the definitions, it doesn't save the settings because it doesn't have the appropriate Administrator permissions.

Two ways to get around this.

1) Disable UAC (not recommended if you're not good with programs. Your computer is more secure with it on)

2) Right click on the RR shortcut and choose "Run as administrator". I recommend doing THIS.

Problem solved.

• I Donated
For any of the newer versions of Windows, anyone that has a problem with being files and what not being not found or something, it's because of UAC (User Account Control) which is a security feature of Vista and later that prevents programs from writing to the c:\program files folders if they don't request permission properly.

RR doesn't do it properly, so when you configure RR to look in a folder for the definitions, it doesn't save the settings because it doesn't have the appropriate Administrator permissions.

Two ways to get around this.

1) Disable UAC (not recommended if you're not good with programs. Your computer is more secure with it on)

2) Right click on the RR shortcut and choose "Run as administrator". I recommend doing THIS.

Problem solved.

Or 3) Right-click on the shortcut, go to Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and check "Run this program as an administrator," then click OK. That does 2) automatically for you each time you run the program.

BTW, XP is a really antiquated OS at this point. We're getting close to the point where XP will have been around as long as Windows had been around when XP was introduced.

I was having the same issue. Out of nowhere my car was running 0% wdc (infamous stg2 for 8 months). Checked every vaccum line a few times and no leaks that i knew of. I saw that the maf might be an issue so i took a look at it. Turns out a little piece of the o ring wasnt in the housing. Fixxed that and reset the ecu. So far so good. Seeing my 18.2psi that i used to have. I guess time will tell if that was the real fix.

• Mega Users
the cars computer is restricting the turbo to boost at actuator pressure once it learns that something isnt right (aka big boost leak). if it happens again a month down the road, I would purchase a boost leak tester, or you can easily make one if you have the proper tools.
"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

• Mega Users
You probably have knock correction to the degree where IAM has dropped, and dropped low enough to disable the boost control system. When that happens you are down to actuator pressure alone, which is about 9psi. As mentioned, resetting the ECU just clears the stored knock corrections and that will make the car drive normally for a while. Chances are the same process will happen again and you'll be in the same place.

IIWY I'd drive the car normally for a few days and then log a few pulls and send them to Shamar so he can figure out what is wrong. You might have a leak somewhere, a faulty sensor or or or. I don't like to second-guess the work of other tuners on the forums and I'd be a bit insulted if one of my customers asked a forum for help before coming to me.

very good post here

Having seen the rise of Windows entirely... my first "PC" ran DOS, my first "gamer" was a Commodore 64, I can say whole heatedly that XP has been the most stable and easy to use platform I have encountered from Microsoft.

I still pine away from XP. I also pine away for Xtree, OS2 and my Vic20:lol:

• 2 months later...

You still having problems ? I know a good Tuner in Vernon. You can meet with him on a Sunday. He can plug in and you go for a ride. He can fix it right there.

He also skis...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Mega Users

I give so much more credit, just because he is a skier.

There is nothing wrong with my tune, just FMIC woes.

Stupid piping.

• Mega Users

my t-clamps are fine. the connection are just SO finnicky.

I wish I purchased a boost leak tester when I purchased the FMIC. It would have saved my so much trouble. That and a 10mm racheting wrench.

• 7 months later...

Archived