LegacyGT.com

No cruise control after wheel bearing/hub change

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is www.moog.com the correct site to go to to tell them ?

You would have thought they would have a clue by now after all the returns...???

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Probably the best site to start at for MFG Warranty info would be here...

http://www.moogproducts.com/en-global/Steering/Pages/Wheel-End-Bearings.aspx

I would have hit them up first IF I knew I could straighten things out with them and if not still be able to return to the store.

You would think the returns would cause a flag to go up as well but who knows. Many of those stores you return them to do not report he issues with the bearing properly... I know I returned an oil pan because the vent tube was welded in totally wrong and they just put a code of did not need... like WTF?

Returns of this type of part simply go into a "defective" bin and there is generally no reason as to why it's defective (I used to write up defects as a rep and I saw parts that were returned as "defective" that had never been installed or even out of the box and no reason attached but simply "Defect" written on the box, AND in most cases, it's "destroy in field" because of too high a cost for return shipping, and the part is never returned to the manufacturer) so without manufacturers having direct contact with the consumer, they never know why the products were defective.

If you really want to make an impact for whatever brand you had an issue with, go to your parts store where you purchased the defective part and ask the counter person or even better, the store manager, and find out when the rep for the product will be visiting the store. Go in and meet with the rep for 10 minutes and tell them what's going on and with this information, they will forward it to the factory and perhaps it will get into the correct hands. I know that I have sent information on many times in the 15 years I was a rep for many different companies and in some cases, they began to investigate and I did see changes made (GE, Coni-Seal, Berryman <put Chemtool in metal cans because bottles were discoloring and leaking>, Tracerline, Satisfied brakes, and many others) and it's like I tell our customers when I answer technical questions, without someone telling us there is a problem, we assume that all is fine.

If your store is an affiliate store (Auto Value, NAPA, Parts Plus, PRONTO, Federated, Auto Pride, O'Reilly's, etc.) then the rep might only call on the main office and may not generally visit that location but if you request that he makes a stop there, usually, the rep (or another local rep) will make it a point to get there sometime and you can visit about the issue.

NO company out there wants to have defective parts, no matter what the part is and in cases like this, Moog now has a reputation of not making a good part (HBA) for our cars and with 60-70K possible members on LGT alone, not counting NASIOC and all of the other Subaru forum sites, viewing this information, they could see serious market consequence for a part that they most likely don't even know has an issue.

• 2 months later...
A ways back in this thread there was reference to a Beck Arnley hub not working. I kind of find that a stretch because Beck Arnley does not manufacture anything at all. They are simply a re-packager and most of the time, it's OE replacement parts that they put in their boxes.

I'm not doubting the issue, but I wonder why they didn't have the OE hub/bearing assembly in their box. If you purchase an ignition coil from them, it's the OE Subaru part. Same with the cam and crank sensors-OE Subaru parts.

I used to rep Beck Arnley and that was one of the strongest selling points-"They supply OE parts at aftermarket prices" and with all of the issues that seem to be appearing on these hubs, I'd be especially surprised if they didn't have the OE hub in their box.

Oh well...LOL...some things DO change. ;)

I can personally vouch that Moog and Beck Arnley do not work for the 06 LGT. I replaced my oem hubs with Moogs, got the flashing cruise light. Returned those and used Beck Arnley, Same deal. Put old oem back in , works like a charm.

• 2 months later...

Well, wish I saw this thread earlier, but had a moog on the front and was my cruise control was pulsing... Just replaced the moog with an SKF and it is working great.

So no moogs for the front. Gotta do a rear now, seems to be that moog is fine for the rear? I can get them much cheaper....

• 1 month later...

I have to re-investigate this tonight but from what I looked at really quickly yesterday on the rear the bearing itself has NO control over the abs... Both the sensor and the tone ring are located on separate parts. And the photos of a front bearing appear to be the same as the rear setup wise, no integrated sensor or tone ring at all.

The sensor itself is mounted in the spindle and the sensing ring appears to be located on the axle... I'm wondering if the splines on the Moog don't allow the axle to seat deep enough which in turn spaces the tone ring too far away from the sensor which causes these issues.

Seeing how my car is on jack stands and I'm doing all the brakes I will double check the fronts when I get home and report back.

This is true, Subaru's have just been holding their own for a while now, and I was busy all spring with a SC'd beretta project for a friend and then my own 2nd Beretta restoration had to be done before briging it to TN so needless to say I was a bit busy. :) This is the First attention since my Invidia exhaust my Legacy has seen.

Ok you learn things every day, while the bearing appeared to me to have no effect on the abs, the back side of the bearing has a magnetic ring installed on it. The sensor is in the spindle and the part I saw on the axle that I thought was the tone ring is simply a guard to keep crap out of that area.

So then the bearings can definitely cause this issue and not be easily solved by checking a clearance or something like I thought it would be. Bummer, but maybe moog will eventually get it right.

I just had my trusted shop replace the rear wheel bearings (100,000ish miles) and this ABS sensor problem happened to me as well, disabling cruise control. They used a different brand bearing and the problem was fixed - some aftermarket bearings don't have the magnetic strip in the exact right location, and a few mm of difference is all it takes for the ABS wheel speed sensor to not be able to read it.

Archived