LegacyGT.com

Ipr tmic?

zeusdog34

@Bigjweb, you said that IPR uses 'CRAP' cooling cores? How do you know this? Is this a fact or your opinion? Did you cut a IPR apart and check for yourself? I would like to kno these things.If its as bad as you claim than maybe I will send it back...on Nasioc i read sum reviews and most seem to like the IPR except the fitment can be tight(like the perrin) and sum say the Process West knock offs are junk(guess just depends on who u talk to)..

@specialB thanks for your input as well, how do you think the IPR performs?

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have never used a PW so I really can't compare but my IPR seems to work. I am running a 20G on it and if it was so bad I clearly would have had issues by now. The fitment on manuals isn't the best, but it has performed well for me.

I know that IPR uses shitty cores because I talk to people that tune cars for a living and people that build 600 hp subarus. The perrin and IPR are almost identical in design on the outside. However, any tuner that has tuned both brands of intercoolers will tell you that the perrin cools more efficiently. Why is that? The cooling cores of the IPR are not as efficient on the inside as the perrin is. Another thing, the perrin design was the first TMIC for the LGT style fitment. That design happens to be 7 years old now. A lot has changed with designs since then. The majority of people that say the IPR sucks, say it because of first hand knowledge. The majority of people that say they don't mind it are people that haven't used anything else.

Not to add fuel to the fire. My 05 is making 280whp with the IPR. The car is a blast to drive ever day.

I may be losing a couple of hp over a better tmic, but I'm not looking for the most hp out there.

Would it be great to have a better tmic, yea, do I need it, no.

When we were building the race car in my avatar my son did a lot of reasearch on cores for that 1.6L engine, we were looking for the best possible setup.

It's more about what fits into your budget. A few hp either way really doesn't matter to most of us in a DD.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

@Max Cap, thats how I feel.. Im not asking if its the best IC out there, i know its not.. Im just hoping it will do the job(better than stock).. Thanks for all your input..

@bmx045, thats what i keep hearing is they are a pain in the a$$ to install.. What do you think of the quality, and what do u think is the best way to install it and would u use a different gasket..thanks

@bigjweb, Im sorry im disappointing you.. I asked for opinions and u seem upset cause sum people support the IPR and I plan on using it despite what you have said..I appreciate your input.. If the IC does what it claims than I will be more than happy..

I have the white gasket that came with the IPR still on it. As I said, I've had mine off a few times and it goes on as easy as the oem one did.

The paint still cleans up and looks like new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just blows my mind about how people refuse to see that there are cheaper and better alternatives out their. And Zeus, you not listening to my advice is not what disappoints me, it's the fact that you have personalized plates that say zeus that disappoints me.

why do you want that plate???I have had the plate for 12yrs.. I had a pitbull/doberman mix named ZEUS(best dog ever).. Honestly you seem way to wound up.. You must be under the age of 30..

I got the IPR SHIPPED FOR $435(HARD TO BEAT)...Im sorry i disappoint u in every way.. U are clearly a better person than I...

Dear Zeus - God of Gods....or perhaps Dogs...

Please read more here about users experiences with the IPR TMIC, it's install and performance:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ipr-tmic-171685.html?t=171685&highlight=IPR+install

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ipr-top-mounted-intercoolers-goodi-164358.html?t=164358&highlight=IPR+install

• 2 weeks later...

Install took les than 45 min..The FMS IC looked great,no burs or metal shavings,the welds look near perfect,the paint was also perfect... So far the car is more responsive and pulls a little bit harder through the redline.. Very impressed..Everything fit perfect...

I deciced to go with the FMS due to the fact the IPR had terrible fitment issues(across all boards).. The issuse I found through my research on the FMS tmic ,was quality but that seem to be hit or miss and I found there to be little issue with fitment.. Im very happy I went with this IC cause I was prepaired to spend the extra for the PW ..As of right now i couldnt be happier plus I save $450

Im aslo running 18psi..

Oh yea, you plan to sell yours right.

Does your have the heat dissipating paint ?

yep plan to sell mine. Brand new in the box. lol should of done a little more research before i bought it for my setup.

Lol, those do not look like good welds. Those look like rushed welds.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

kinda like a rushed caulk job...

But if you are happy with it, and it holds - it's all good man... You cant always pay half, and still get all the perks of the full priced item... (in general that is)

Thats fine you think the welds look bad but I would have to disagree.. The welds look perfectly fine(not perfect but good)... I paid HALF the price of a PW.. I also looked at some pics of the PW welds and they look very similar(not perfect)..

Are you kidding me,"hopefully better than plastic".. Well i guess I will try and be happy with my crappy FMS IC with the crappy welds ..

I guess i will find out....A lot of people seem to like them and I do find it hard to believe the IPR does not cool and is not as good as the stock IC...Thanks for your input

Why is hard to believe? The stocker has end tanks that are designed not to sit about the turbo, the IPR endtank sits right above it. The stocker has plastic endtanks, which will repel heat more than metal will. The IPR is a piece of crap knockoff.

Archived