LegacyGT.com

Mysterious burning smell (oil) '05 LGT

Add me to the list, please. I'm a little busy with school, kids and other shenanigans and haven't had a chance to check things out but this thread at least points to previous issues so I'll check all of those.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your oil filter screws onto the oil cooler. There is a gasket between the oil cooler and the block. Here is the part number: 21370KA001

I thought my oil filter was leaking oil, so I wiped it one day and it came back. Then I noticed oil all over the oil cooler above as well. I wiped the oil cooler and drove around; when I returned the oil was back and coming from right above the oil cooler which is right where the gasket is.

I noticed mine was leaking a bit when I did my up pipe but didn't think much of it. I'll spray some brake parts cleaner to see if it goes away. I found that my alternator/power steering pump belt has a burnt area when it might had slipped. I think that may have to do with it as well.

• 10 months later...
I have the leaky power steering pump one it smells so bad. Valve covers cv boot have been inspected they also said it can happen when oil change happens spill a little and it stinks 05 lgt bought 3 weeks ago and I had the gas leak forced the dealrr to pay the 353 had the car for 3 day

Verdict- passemger side valve cocer gasket. Wonder how the independent shop missed that?! Oh well, probably the easiest and sheapest fix.

I have the same problem myself. The boxer engine design is so difficult to work on i don't think the good outweighs the bad.

Other cars you could change the gasket yourself without pulling the engine mount. This, you have to pull them, lift the engine and STILL work in a tight spot.

I had my oil changed recently and had a mysterious acrid odor that came and went for about 20 minutes. I couldn't decide whether it was a clutch smell or oil. It went away though. I know the punks at the dive of an oil shop I went to (normally I'd change it myself because I trust no one, but I'm on vacation and don't have my tools, obviously) didn't rev the crap out of it, but it was just weird.

Before changing your valve covers unless you know it's the valve cover leaking I would recommend having a shop clean up that side of the motor and then run it and then you'll be able to see if it's spitting out oil. That's what I did. I also noticed the line going from the auxiliary cooling had a leak so replace that p.o.s clamp and now it's fine **** is this in Spanish

• 2 weeks later...

A little non-clorinated brake fuel will do the trick. Might have to remove fender gaurd.

Just spray it generously to clean the oil off the exhaust and around the engine.

For my leak it was the valve body. I got that repaired on thursday last week. It was also my Cam angle sensor gasket. I replaced that with an O-Ring.

my burning smell is coming from the engine bay on top.... there are times when smoke comes out of the hood scoop and then goes away.... i cant figure out where it comes from ....or what is leaking... idea?s

Check the right axel boots, right valve cover, and power steering fluid level (if low then u have a leak and could be that)

i hope its not the axel boots, those were fixed about 2 years ago.... but i can... i have a sneak feeling its the power stering pump... i have been informed its leaking...but not sure how much

The thing it's really hard to tell if u just open the hood and looked at it. You gotta left the car up and get under with a light. It's possibly one of the steering pump O-ring needs to be replaced. It can be leaking very little but any small drop hit the exhaust will make a smoke. Good luck man

I had the same issue and after some investigating it turned out to be the passenger side valve cover gasket. It took me about 3 hours and a beer or two. The hardest part was getting the coils back on. It was stink free for a few weeks then it came back very sporadicly. I haven't done the pcv valve or checked for other possibilities, too cold out.

• 1 month later...

Im having an oder as well while accelerating normally. Todat it smelled really bad, i just got back from the dealer to fix the gas lines $500. They broke my coolant res and i had to pay another $50 for that. Then the upper coolant hoses were leaking another $38.

They inspected it so, ne tears in the cv boots. This morning i was accelerating and it was hesitating pretty bad and smelling very burnt. No cels no lights no smoke. Any ideas?

Well, this isn't an oil smell but some people can confuse them: 2 of the most common leaks and smells are caused by:

1. Broken CV boot on passenger axle (causes grease to smear on cat)

2. Some people have leaking gas lines (especially during cold weather)

To add to those: this may not be the same for everyone, but When there is a coolant leak and it's burning off the headers or other exhaust parts, that burning scent can be similar.

Archived