LegacyGT.com

Mysterious burning smell (oil) '05 LGT

A couple months ago, I had a leaking valve cover gasket. At first it just smelled like burning oil, then it started smoking a little (seeping out under the scoop at stop lights, etc). Then it became an enormous cloud of smoke... then I replaced the gasket :lol:

It was a PITA, but I did it all at the same time as the 60k service, and replacement of the driver's side CV axle (due to busted boot)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
I have an oil leak coming from under my turbo. When you get under it, you can see the oil, but you can't see where it's coming from. Any ideas? Not too much smoke, and not losing a ton of oil, but underneath the turbo, it looks like I lost a ton of oil. It's coming down from higher up around the turbo also. I'm thinking it's a common leak. What do you guys think it is?

I replaced my turbo inlet yesterday, and I saw a hose with a hose clamp on it. Not like the one picture above, but the kind you have to un screw to loosen. I tightened it down because it was loose, and I think that might have fixed my problem. I also was able to really tighten the Coolant line to my turbo, which was very loose also. I did my spark plugs also.

• 3 years later...
Have been having the same issue with my 05 Legacy GT. I replaced the turbo after it failed about 18 months ago, just about 100k miles. Mechanic said to expect the oily smell for a few weeks afterwards since the turbo had dumped a lot of oil everywhere. It went away but then came back over last winter. Finally got the car in and changed the valve cover gasket but smell persists. Symptoms are much the same, i.e., occurs after running hard (turbo kicks in) and then I get the smell and even some smoke from under the hood. No noticeable decrease in oil volume. Will take it back and have them check the PCV valve and let everyone know how it turns out.

Archived