LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy GT Spec B

dorqus

I will call the dealer and see if it's available for a Subaru of America Gold Pan. The car IS still under powertrain - it's a 2008 with 34k miles on it. Clearly I'm not buying it sight unseen, even I'm not that stupid :)

I do need to sell my car first, since I don't have the money for both cars if my buyer backs out at the last minute.

And if the car is junk, then so be it, I get on the next train home and chalk one up to experience.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it's a third party warranty I'd probably pass personally (agreeing with Max Cap). I did purchase the 3/yr. 24K Subaru Gold warranty ($50 deductible) with my 06 Spec that had 62K from a local Subaru dealership last fall. Peace of mind in case of Turbo failure etc., and the fact it's an actual Subaru of America warranty was worth it to me. I've never seen value in third party warranties, as they can be a bitch to actually get claims processed through.

Since it's a Subaru dealership I'd push for that option and if there's a reason SOA won't do it - I'd consider that a flag. If they can do it on a 5 year old car with close to 2x the miles I'd imagine there's an interesting reason why they won't offer the same option on this car.

.:Catalyst:. - is that Subaru Gold Warranty for bumper to bumper? or just powertrain? The dealer did say that I do have an extended warranty for bumper to bumper for one yea I want to say? I should have taken notes, I feel like each time i talk to them I get a different story.

Selling a Gold plan on a car out of even Powertrain warranty? Gonna have to show some proof, otherwise I call BS.
Do I really have to prove this to change what I know...negative. For grins I may just have to snap a picture of my warranty paperwork as I like knowing that people who think they have it all figured out are wrong. I have no reason to falsify information that I know to be true and it's part of why I bought my car.

.:Catalyst:. - is that Subaru Gold Warranty for bumper to bumper? or just powertrain? The dealer did say that I do have an extended warranty for bumper to bumper for one yea I want to say? I should have taken notes, I feel like each time i talk to them I get a different story.
It is bumper to bumper - just doesn't cover normal wear items (tires, brake pads, etc etc.) $50 deductible, they run your VIN at any Subaru dealer. 2year/24K with a small surcharge to cover the turbo (it's an add on but was cheap). I think I paid 2400 for it all said and done. Of course I could just be blowing smoke per 'dman'... :spin:

OK thanks .:Catalyst:. Also I thought that the factory bumper to bumper was 36 months/36k miles, not 30k miles. That's what the dealership told I'm pretty sure.

Here's the email I got from the dealership when I first inquired about the car:

Here is the Standard Warranty Information on the 2008 Subaru Legacy, whatever is left on this vehicle would be carried over:

Warranty

Basic warranty:

36 months/36,000miles

Corrosion perforation warranty:

60 months/ unlimited distance

Powertrain warranty:

60 months/60,000miles

Roadside assistance coverage:

36 months/36,000miles

Left several messages for the finance person @ Clay Subaru, also told the salesman that I want the Subaru Gold Warantee instead of this third party deal, he's going to get back to me. Worse comes to worse I don't get an extended warantee and just live life on the edge :) My evo is WELL out of warantee being 8 years old, not once have I had an issue with it.

To get Subaru Gold you have to be under 36mo/36k miles from in-service date. If .:Catalyst:.'s dealer forged papers - does not make your car eligible. So you cannot get it. The salesman, however, could say "yes" to your question just to get you to come and commit time. Get a VIN/inservice date of the car and call Subaru directly, they will tell you it's not eligible.

You CAN get Subaru Classic plan, which is basically extension of powertrain warranty beyond 5yr/60k miles.

To get Subaru Gold you have to be under 36mo/36k miles from in-service date. If .:Catalyst:.'s dealer forged papers - does not make your car eligible. So you cannot get it. The salesman, however, could say "yes" to your question just to get you to come and commit time. Get a VIN/inservice date of the car and call Subaru directly, they will tell you it's not eligible.

You CAN get Subaru Classic plan, which is basically extension of powertrain warranty beyond 5yr/60k miles.

I also have the Gold plan and I purchased my car 42 months in service and 29,000 miles. I don't believe mine to be fake or forged either.

^ At least you were under 36k.

Anyway, did some googling, and apparently now you can buy Gold Plan until 6 year/100,000 Miles from in-service, if the dealership CPO's the car first. And to do that it has to be under 80k miles and 5 model years. They still shouldn't have CPOd the MY06 car under those rules.

Not sure I follow the math dman, but do appreciate your research and I never assume to be right either, (or that I wasn't screwed by a stealership). I just know I bought my 2006 car in 2011, with 62K so it was within 80K and 5 years?? Been too busy in the last 24 hours to go through files and dig up the receipt/warranty paperwork but I specifically mention making a joke when I purchased asking why there wasn't a "Platinum option" with the finance manager when he explained the Gold plan :lol:

• Moderators
Apologies if i'm way out of line here, but for $2100 (the price of the warranty, right?) you could just buy the car and immediately replace the turbo (~$1000), add on a infamous filtered oil line ($150), get a dyno/protune (~$500) and still have ~$500 left. Why not jsut do that? buy the car, replace the turbo/oil lines, go stage 2, get a pro tune and call it a day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

If the 3rd party insurance carrier is related to Fidelity run away. The driver seat heater on my wife's car needed to be replaced. Fidelity denied the claim because they considered the heating unit part of the "upholstery." Requesting to speak with a manager only gets you to another powerless associate. Luckily the dealer covered it under goodwill.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][B][I]"Sweep the leg!" - Sensei Kreese, Karate Kid [/I][/B][/FONT]

OK so here's the short version of the story.

Before coming up to the dealerhip (I am roughly 190 miles from them) I had several conversations with the salesman - Matt - about the car, I had a lot of questions. He told that the car was going to get new tires and brakes, and that it had been totally inspected. He then told me later in the week that the tires and brakes were fine and were not going to be replaced. As part of our negotiations he told me that he would give me a loaner/rental car to drive back from the dealership (I was taking the Amtrak up, as I sold my car before going to check this one out) and that once the car was ready I could just drive back up, drop off the rental/loaner, and drive back in the Legacy GT.

I was supposed to go up on Saturday but was getting concerned about some inconsistencies in what he had been telling me about the car, so I called him and told him that I wasn't coming, he said "well what would it take" I told him I wanted the car for $20k (they were asking $24k) and that maybe then it would be worth it. After much back and forth he said he would take care of me. I also negotiated the Subaru Extended warranty down from $2900 to $1600. He also told me that I could put the car up on the lift at the shop as I wasn't going to lug my car ramps with me on the train.

Sunday morning I left my family and hopped on the Amtrak. Three and a half hours later I was in MA and Matt picked me up at the train station in the Spec B. Car looked clean, I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and no codes. I drive the car, and notice that the tires are making a wierd noise, I asked him if they were the original tires and he said "Oh absolutely not". We get back to the dealership, and of course there is no one in service to open up the bay for us as it's a Sunday. I look around the car with a more careful eye, and notice that the tires are shot - you could see the threads on the front tires. Since I couldn't get the car into the shop, I jacked it up and took off one of the front and one of the rear tires. The brakes were also probably the original ones as well, still some life left on them, but not much.

We go inside, and I tell him how he outright lied to me and that no way would I drive that car 20 miles let alone almost 200 back to NY in the state that the tires are in, I asked him to take $600 off the price for new tires, he said no way. After a lot of intimidation on their part (I was kind of stuck there as I had no way of leaving really) we agreed on $21,500 for the car with the Subaru 36 month/36000 mile extended warranty and that they would put new tires on it before I picked it up.

I rush to sign the paperwork and make the 5:55pm train back to NY. That night when I'm at home showing my wife the paperwork, I realize that they put the wrong City and Zip Code on all the forms (which is odd, as they had a copy of my license and registration). Monday AM I call them and they promise to get it all sorted out and overnight me the proper paperwork. Meanwhile Matt promises me that the paperwork has been sent out and that they already started the process on registering the car in NY for me (The dealer is in MA so they use a third party service for this)

Tuesday comes and goes, and no paperwork shows up. I call the sales manager - Patrick - Tuesday night and fill him in, he apologizes up and down and promises he'll get it all sorted out.

I called my insurance on Tuesday nighit and cancelled the insurance on the car. Wednesday AM I called the sales manager and told him I wanted my deposit and license plates back. He said he'd get them to me right away.

It's now Friday and I don't have either the plates or the charges reversed on my credit card yet. I do have a FedEx tracking number for something being delivered to my house today, hopefully that's the plates. I called yesterday and was told that they would run the credit in the next 10-15 minutes (that was at like 4pm). I'm going to give the dealer one more chance to refund my money before I contest the charges with my Credit Card company and let them fight it out.

I am also going to be filing a MAJOR complaint with Subaru of America today against the dealership and the specific people involved - Matt, Patrick, Joseph (Finance) and Stephen (Steven?) in finance.

so... stay FAR away from Clay Subaru in Norwood, MA. They are LIARS and CHEATS and they all deserve to lose their jobs. I don't understand how they stay in business.

Meanwhile I'm going to look at a 2012 Legacy GT Limited in Graphite tomorrow morning.

OK so here's the short version of the story.

Before coming up to the dealerhip (I am roughly 190 miles from them) I had several conversations with the salesman - Matt - about the car, I had a lot of questions. He told that the car was going to get new tires and brakes, and that it had been totally inspected. He then told me later in the week that the tires and brakes were fine and were not going to be replaced. As part of our negotiations he told me that he would give me a loaner/rental car to drive back from the dealership (I was taking the Amtrak up, as I sold my car before going to check this one out) and that once the car was ready I could just drive back up, drop off the rental/loaner, and drive back in the Legacy GT.

I was supposed to go up on Saturday but was getting concerned about some inconsistencies in what he had been telling me about the car, so I called him and told him that I wasn't coming, he said "well what would it take" I told him I wanted the car for $20k (they were asking $24k) and that maybe then it would be worth it. After much back and forth he said he would take care of me. I also negotiated the Subaru Extended warranty down from $2900 to $1600. He also told me that I could put the car up on the lift at the shop as I wasn't going to lug my car ramps with me on the train.

Sunday morning I left my family and hopped on the Amtrak. Three and a half hours later I was in MA and Matt picked me up at the train station in the Spec B. Car looked clean, I hooked up my OBD2 scanner and no codes. I drive the car, and notice that the tires are making a wierd noise, I asked him if they were the original tires and he said "Oh absolutely not". We get back to the dealership, and of course there is no one in service to open up the bay for us as it's a Sunday. I look around the car with a more careful eye, and notice that the tires are shot - you could see the threads on the front tires. Since I couldn't get the car into the shop, I jacked it up and took off one of the front and one of the rear tires. The brakes were also probably the original ones as well, still some life left on them, but not much.

We go inside, and I tell him how he outright lied to me and that no way would I drive that car 20 miles let alone almost 200 back to NY in the state that the tires are in, I asked him to take $600 off the price for new tires, he said no way. After a lot of intimidation on their part (I was kind of stuck there as I had no way of leaving really) we agreed on $21,500 for the car with the Subaru 36 month/36000 mile extended warranty and that they would put new tires on it before I picked it up.

I rush to sign the paperwork and make the 5:55pm train back to NY. That night when I'm at home showing my wife the paperwork, I realize that they put the wrong City and Zip Code on all the forms (which is odd, as they had a copy of my license and registration). Monday AM I call them and they promise to get it all sorted out and overnight me the proper paperwork. Meanwhile Matt promises me that the paperwork has been sent out and that they already started the process on registering the car in NY for me (The dealer is in MA so they use a third party service for this)

Tuesday comes and goes, and no paperwork shows up. I call the sales manager - Patrick - Tuesday night and fill him in, he apologizes up and down and promises he'll get it all sorted out.

I called my insurance on Tuesday nighit and cancelled the insurance on the car. Wednesday AM I called the sales manager and told him I wanted my deposit and license plates back. He said he'd get them to me right away.

It's now Friday and I don't have either the plates or the charges reversed on my credit card yet. I do have a FedEx tracking number for something being delivered to my house today, hopefully that's the plates. I called yesterday and was told that they would run the credit in the next 10-15 minutes (that was at like 4pm). I'm going to give the dealer one more chance to refund my money before I contest the charges with my Credit Card company and let them fight it out.

I am also going to be filing a MAJOR complaint with Subaru of America today against the dealership and the specific people involved - Matt, Patrick, Joseph (Finance) and Stephen (Steven?) in finance.

so... stay FAR away from Clay Subaru in Norwood, MA. They are LIARS and CHEATS and they all deserve to lose their jobs. I don't understand how they stay in business.

Meanwhile I'm going to look at a 2012 Legacy GT Limited in Graphite tomorrow morning.

Wow...that is some story. Salesperson are known to be cheaters and liars anyway. I never enjoyed buying a car because they are always so pushy. But you shouldn't give up on your SpecB dream. It is a car worth buying.

Wow...that is some story. Salesperson are known to be cheaters and liars anyway. I never enjoyed buying a car because they are always so pushy. But you shouldn't give up on your SpecB dream. It is a car worth buying.

The Spec B is nice, but I'd rather get a new car with a warranty, less to worry about then dealing with liars and cheats. Also I'm now in a bit of a bind - I sold my car, so I am carless.

Yeah, used car salesmen.....

Quite a few people I know buy new or use ebay these days to minimize dealings with them.

And I'd get a WRX before I buy '12 LGT.

I just sold an Evo, WRX is basically the same thing... loud and in your face. I'm looking for something a little more subdued (and with some more creature comforts) but I have thought about it. (But I'm not 100% sold on the Legacy GT, and WRX would definitely save me some money as well at purchase time)

Archived