LegacyGT.com

Home improvement photos

CapnJack

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corner posts in for the deck. I ended up going with 4x6s as all the 6x6s (like 40 of them) looked like hell.

I'm pissed at myself for being out of square by a half inch or so but once it's all built, no one will know. It's the engineer perfectionist in me.

20376022_1808161119200071_6619644167632982387_n.jpg?oh=c30081f2f0ee40d97c8a77744cfa7339&oe=5A32ED95

Well we are officially homeowners again. Bought a house in Paso Robles after living in a rental for ~1 yr, just moved this weekend. Nothing too crazy, just a decent sized home in a good neighborhood. It's mostly turn-key - all rooms have been renovated within the last 5 years, as well as new heater, A/C, water heater, ducting/insulation, plumbing, and dry rot repair. Had to paint 2 bedrooms that were pink and violet, but that's about it. Totally move in ready.

I can't even put into words how appreciative I am of the excellent maintenance by the previous. Pride of ownership is obvious to say the least. The last patriarch of the house was an industrial plumber/HVAC guy, which also shows.

Of course, there are a few little things. Gonna do a reclaimed wood accent wall in the family room, white wash (not paint) all the brick, I'd love to do a forest mural on one wall in the master bedroom, and plant some fruit trees. Shed could use a new roof soon. And wall mounting the flat screen and tucking cables in the wall - that's mostly done.

A few pics (before we moved in):

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBMjc1eDcyNzE2XzUzMkwyemJFUkZaVjM0aVdz

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBRkRFaklYYVRod3JNbWRqRGRTbFdCTFhheV84

uc?export=download&id=0B-UztBa2TnPBdDBGaW9jOUsxM2x0RjV0S2tuX21tSm9ISmdz

Slow going on my pergola/deck combo due to other commitments during the week, some overtime, and the weather.

I managed to get the big pergola cross bars up and bolted in today by myself. I have wood in my garage to frame out the main box/perimeter of the deck tomorrow as well, so progress is being made. I'm really not looking forward to digging out inside the main box but it needs done so water isn't draining toward the house. My neighbor asked if he could take the dirt (SCORE) but I still have to get rid of the sod somehow.

20604357_1815573618458821_276886795328688133_n.jpg?oh=9225709c0865704f93e6309571d4d596&oe=5A308214

20645566_1815573695125480_8221350407506396738_o.jpg?oh=7ff05090880e46c5feb795414ab8f48f&oe=59FB2C16

20545322_1815574408458742_3351117387117487270_o.jpg?oh=c62b4b447ef43f0f835e39541253cf1d&oe=5A332A8C

I used the Simpson ties someone else mentioned a little while back. When used with the specified 8x 16d/penny 3.5" nails, they're good for 1100lb or something crazy. My spans are 12 and 13 feet but there's a post in the center of each span too. Pics later. Edited by baconbits

Well, for some reason I can't upload more pictures (invalid file?) even though they're below the max resolution and size and they're jpg.

So here's the one of where I was at Sunday night with the exception of the posts in the middle of the outer spans which were cemented after the picture.

I framed the back wall of the deck and just set it into the joist hangers along with the center spans sitting in hangers as well. I have those in there to make sure I cement the posts in the right spots... just a guide really. I'm going to put 2x10 fascia boards up and bolt them through the posts as well just to make everything more sturdy before I dig the base out and frame in all the deck joists. I also have to dig window wells in the back and possibly relocate the hose.

Below's Simpson Strong Tie's rating for the "deck joist tie" that I used.

346a-2017.png

DJT14.jpeg?quality=80&u=cjmyin&crop=0

5.thumb.jpg.464941d7b3b4c3fe125a4c89897d0d61.jpg

IMG_20170808_191501.thumb.jpg.ccfb6ceeb77c03567efb41c8e80561a3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
You sneaking that under the trim without removing it?

fact. which is some of the difficulty with installing it. we'll deal with new trim later, but this is quite enough work for now. hate this trim, as it's too busy for my taste, but nearly the whole house has it so it's not like we're gonna spend $5k having all our trim redone...

oh, and this all used to be carpet. and honestly, who the F*** puts carpet in a bathroom? i can't believe it still happens.

when we were home shopping last year, i went off about it with my wife and she told me that it was "obviously special carpet made for bathrooms." i didn't say a word and the conversation essentially ended that second. and for those that are waiting for the punchline, there is no special bathroom carpet. carpet is carpet.

Edited by Flinkly
* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

Yeah, carpet in bathrooms is GROSS. Our last house, which was actually built in 2006, had carpet in both the master bath and main bath. It wasn't so bad in the main bath because it had a separate toilet/shower room with lino, but in our master, you stepped right out of the bath (well, a tiled step first) or shower onto carpet. Yuck.

Yeah, carpet in bathrooms is GROSS. Our last house, which was actually built in 2006, had carpet in both the master bath and main bath. It wasn't so bad in the main bath because it had a separate toilet/shower room with lino, but in our master, you stepped right out of the bath or shower onto carpet. Yuck.

yeah, i shoulda taken photo's of the two corners in front of the shower. one side had black carpet. the particleboard underlayment was raised there too and i ended up chiselign it down flat and laid some primer down to give it back some strength and an inkling of seal from any possible moisture. will add some caulk between plank and shower and a tiny quarter round to cover the 1/16th gap i left.

tonight will be two "intense" boards to cut, and then three runs of nearly cut free planks. then back to having to cut almost all the boards, but it's so close to being done.

well, with the floor. wife smashed off 6 of the tiles off the tub surround, so we'll have to redo all that sometime soon too...

fact. which is some of the difficulty with installing it. we'll deal with new trim later, but this is quite enough work for now. hate this trim, as it's too busy for my taste, but nearly the whole house has it so it's not like we're gonna spend $5k having all our trim redone...

oh, and this all used to be carpet. and honestly, who the F*** puts carpet in a bathroom? i can't believe it still happens.

when we were home shopping last year, i went off about it with my wife and she told me that it was "obviously special carpet made for bathrooms." i didn't say a word and the conversation essentially ended that second. and for those that are waiting for the punchline, there is no special bathroom carpet. carpet is carpet.

$5k is way rich unless you have an estate.

Do room by room. No one will notice the inconsistency except you! It will also be a hell of a lot easier to install the floor! And to make sure you're leaving a bit of a gap for expansion and whatnot.

seriously... lol. Good for morgues too. :)

that style of bathroom also means a water proof vanity, fixtures, outlets, cabinetry, etc. And the fact that you need to keep up on grout/caulk lines or you'll have a massive hidden rot issue.

However, that style is more common amongst European countries and territories, so I can see why he mentioned it.

i'll be honest, i loved the bathrooms in japan since they were like that. tub fills to the brim and just overflows to the floor and thus the drain. shower can just be right in the "room" as well.

so like, what's your wife's plan? She sounds like me when I remodel. Just start smashing shit. But, I actually have to figure out what to do with it.

well, she thinks that since she watched a video of someone putting the same vinyl floor down in a big square room in under an hour, that i can obviously do that too. took me an hour to do the piece in front of the shower. wanted the edge that's exposed in front of the shower to be fairly good (will still put a little trim piece there), and there are 5 other cuts to dimension and make. and snapping the planks longways isn't the easiest.

her thinking is that we were redoing the whole bathroom ourselves before the baby came, so she could destroy whatever she wants. I think she was thinking it would somehow be really easy to get all the tile up around the tub, but it's not. she also destroyed the drywall around the base of the tub and the wall next to the tub. so we'll probably just have a drywall guy come to $500 in work to fix that, and who knows how much to have someone do the tile. i hate tile and hate putting it down. mostly when you'll literally have to cut each and every piece to go around the tub.

and who knows what we'll do about the vanity. it's like 79.5" long or something, so way beyond the standard sizes. will have to be custom, but also need to keep in mind where the two sink plumbing lines are so that we don't have to spend money to have that redone too.

all in all, if i had ripped up the carpet and destroyed the tile myself, she'd be killing me with nagging right now about how i started a project and won't finish it and how she'll be forced to pay someone to do it. instead we never talk about the tile. lol.

Edited by Flinkly

i'll be honest, i loved the bathrooms in japan since they were like that. tub fills to the brim and just overflows to the floor and thus the drain. shower can just be right in the "room" as well.

Gross.

Just finished the outdoor kitchen. It just seems to take longer to finish a project or I just getting old. It will take at least 24 hrs for the mortar to set before the microwave will be able to be used.

87353bfa8c98e62a0ec101e21d46a686.jpg

Laughing at Oneself and with others is Good for the Soul

Edited by Yoda_One
Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆