LegacyGT.com

Teh DM's KSport Coilover Review

Drift Monkey

I don't know if anyone mentioned this but Ksport is made by D2 Racing.

http://www.d2racing.com.tw/subaru-model.htm

http://www.d2racing.com.tw/

It's a suspension company out in Taiwan. They do have a distributor in US that started around the same time K-sport USA came about.

http://www.d2racing.com/

Anyway, I have D2 racing coilovers on my Maxima for awhile now. It's been alittle over a year now. Here's my take on the clunking and noise issues. These coilovers are made of aluminum. They are pretty but you really need to torque everything down to spec. I would use a hammer and punch on the lock rings. Blue loctite on the lower strut nuts would be a good idea. I would make sure there are some preload on the spring. They should be set from the factory but sometimes they aren't. Without preload on the spring, the spring will become unseated when you go over big bumps or when you jack up the car. Without proper preload the upper spring isolator and lower spring isolator tend to shift out of position and get chew up by the spring when you turn. Eventually you will have steel spring rubbing againest aluminum top hat. If the clunking presist and you check everything is torqued down good. You may have a blown strut. If you get noises when you are going straight, it's likely your the strut is bad. If you have a bad strut, replace the strut insert is not that bad. I took apart the whole assembly in about 15 mins.

Some installation info from D2 Racing.

http://www.d2racing.com.tw/technical.htm

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the info. I think I would have preferred the electric purple that Japan gets over the burnt orange that I recieved.

This weekend I swapped out the front 7Kg springs to 6Kg, raised the car 3/4" and swapped in LGT rear helper bushings. The car rides much different; better. I need to get it aligned and the Dunlop M3s on this week.

The helper is what we use to call the bumpstop. It keeps the suspension from bottoming out. We lowered our OBXT a couple inches and were on the bumpstops in the rear. Now we have more suspension travel. I have not driven the car but around the block and down our minefield of a street, but it felt like night and day. More in a few days.

okay, i would like to make this clear once again. D2 and Ksport are not the same compnay and D2-Ksport are actually competitors. I once upon a time was dealer for both company but ended up with Ksport for it's superior custom service. (not to mension D2 mis-lead people by directly copying European D2 telecommunication company's logo and name)

D2 and Ksport uses the same assembely manufacturer in Taiwan that also built JIC, Megan, and many others which is why they all look kinda simmilar.

• 7 years later...

7-year thread revival, dont think Ive seen such a thing before. Thanks for the lol.

Anyway, the KYB's weren't intended to be performance oriented; they're just OEM replacements. Thats why they dont match well with the Rallitek springs. Swap the KYB's out for Koni's yellows or Bilstein HD and they'll outperform cheapo coilovers like these Ksports.

7-year thread revival, dont think Ive seen such a thing before. Thanks for the lol.

Anyway, the KYB's weren't intended to be performance oriented; they're just OEM replacements. Thats why they dont match well with the Rallitek springs. Swap the KYB's out for Koni's yellows or Bilstein HD and they'll outperform cheapo coilovers like these Ksports.

It handles fairly well but I hear my springs shifting in the front when I go over bumps or corner. You think it might be because the height of the kyb's? I was thinking about going with the Koni's.

I remember reading that some RalliTEK spring owners experiencing a bit of noise. It was resolved by putting rubber tubing/sleeves on the bottom coils where it meets the spring perch. STI does that with their springs:

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=37167

I remember reading that some RalliTEK spring owners experiencing a bit of noise. It was resolved by putting rubber tubing/sleeves on the bottom coils where it meets the spring perch. STI does that with their springs:

http://www.japanparts.com/images/ImageFromDB.php?base=1&no=37167[/quote.

Thank you very much, I am going to do that tomorrow. There are rubber sleeves on the springs but they are in the middle where the springs transition from tight coils to coils that are further apart and I was wondering what the benefits were of having rubber in that spot but now it makes sense. Do you remember if that was that on nasioc?

• 4 months later...

I had a set, just sold them but I was dealing with Danny over at Ksport service and he is very helpful!

So I wanted to vouch that at least used ksports, he gave me recommendations on how to get the collar more loosened and offered to send me free brake brackets. Very responsive and nice. I never had them installed but hope that my buyer will post up his reviews once theyre on the car. Also, I went through this thread and picked out some stuff

A pic:

http://www.pbase.com/neoterix/image/45653085/original.jpg

it's too bad I didnt have enough seat time behind the wheel of the car itself. I'll give you the base points of what the car was set at and the parts that I know of on the car that is relative to the suspension:

Atech Wheels (18"x8") = 20 lbs

Falken Azenis RT-615s @ 225/40/18 = 25 lbs

Shock settings Front/Rear = "1/2 stiff; 3/4 stiff" said DM

Spring rates = 7kg/7kg

Tire Pressures Front/Rear Hot = 38/36

Ride Height =ummm, really low??

Camber Front/Rear = ~-2.3/~-1.5

Perrin Rear Sway = middle setting

Gas Tank = 1/4 tank

I didnt have have a hard time getting early on the gas and making the rear end feel loose.. the problem that I felt out of the car was the ability to make the car lift-throttle steer going into the turn as simple as mine (I really think that's dude to set up and that more R&D from my behalf would have fixed it).

I did notice the car bounced a lot up front when DM drove the car for his 3rd and 4th run with his car. I am sure that's due to the mismatch dampening vs the front spring set up, of course, that's also the probable cause of what made it easy for me to be hard on the gas and get the car to turn in because it was pretty possible to feel the front end to lift or even out the weight loads so that the front tires are not overloaded from the steering AND accelerating duties.

When it comes down to it, I think the K-sports could hold their weight in a daily driving system.. I would have to say that K-sport would have to develop a more aggressive set up to actually compete in national level solo2 or track days. I remember seeing that the production model has the 7kg/9kg setup.. this will allow the car to actually (hopefully) rotate when it's in the condition of lift-throttle oversteer. Currently the car is not liking my late-braking approach or even weight transfer approach to the turn. After that said, I think the coilovers are a good entry level setup, but they are easy to hit the limit to the higher level of demand from performance drivers like myself.

I would have to say, these are an alternative to the Tein Flex (not better or worse, just "different").. as far as durability, that's another story.

Keefe

spring rate is available at 9kg at the rear by buyer's demand but the default rate is set at 7/7 for both safety and liablity concern as not everyone that buys the kit are going to do SOLO2 AutoX day in and day out which is why ksport offer the option to purchase custom spring rate.

As a vendor and customer myself with ksport, I can say that anyone that encounter any durability issue within the warranty period will be well taken care of. That is our gurantee.

Secret: use a long breaker that extends to the ground so nobody has to hold it (and you have almost unlimited resistance). Put a ratchet on the other end and jack it up with a jack until loose. Hammer and punch (screwdriver in my case) to get the bolt out. Rinse and repeat.

Same.

Yeah what Pro said, except I got 2 per :D

I love the ksports, took a long time to get the dialed in and feel'n great though

Archived