LegacyGT.com

We Smell Gas

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hey,

I too just conveniently noticed a rather strong gas odour. On cold starts and when idling at stop lights and such. Mind it's winter in Canada, but this has been a mild one.

When I park in my garage at night and start it in the morning no smell. But parking outside the smell always seeps in.

Now, I have an 05 that I just bought, and still have a complete coverage $0 deductible warranty. Is this not something that should be covered under warranty? Customer complaining of gas odour.

Either way, it is off to the dealer on Wednesday.

Any thoughts on getting this at least covered by warranty? Let alone covered by some sort of recall?

In da butt.

So which lines are being covered? The ones under the intake manifold?

They did remove the intake manifold to replace the parts. It was approximately $140 in tubes. I want to say they replaced them all but I'm not 100%.

Too bad I'm the 2nd owner on mine... I've been smelling gas for the last couple months and definitely need to get this fixed. I also had the lovely smell of burnt grease from the torn CV boot spooging itself onto the DP cat, but that's been fixed now.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the lines? I'll probably just replace them myself.

Max Capacity, can you post pics of your fix with the lockwire? I'm just curious as to how you did it. I was thinking of just using some hose clamps...

Too bad I'm the 2nd owner on mine... I've been smelling gas for the last couple months and definitely need to get this fixed. I also had the lovely smell of burnt grease from the torn CV boot spooging itself onto the DP cat, but that's been fixed now.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the lines? I'll probably just replace them myself.

Max Capacity, can you post pics of your fix with the lockwire? I'm just curious as to how you did it. I was thinking of just using some hose clamps...

We are the second owner. Get Subi America to pay for this work. It's completely unacceptable that cars <15 years old have cracking gas lines.

Oh right on! The car only has 46k miles on it too, so it's not like it's totally been worn out.

Did you contact your local dealer or Subaru America first? I've since moved since I bought the car, so getting it back to the dealer it came from would be... cumbersome.

Oh right on! The car only has 46k miles on it too, so it's not like it's totally been worn out.

Did you contact your local dealer or Subaru America first? I've since moved since I bought the car, so getting it back to the dealer it came from would be... cumbersome.

Both.

Wife dealt with dealer I dealt with SA.

Contact directly:

John J. Mergen

Subaru of America, Inc.

Customer/Dealer Services Department

1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

John is aware of the problem and the person I emailed directly.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4579.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN4581.jpg

If any one wants to replace the line you should be able to buy gas line at the auto parts store and cut what you need to fit it in.

I would not buy OEM again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is what was replace:

442121 MFI FUEL INJECTOR DELIVERY PIPE R&R

0951BG110 HOSE FUEL

807707131 HOSE

14 0 7 5AA210 GSKT INT COLLECTOR

805913050 HOSE CLAMP 13.5

99071AC010 hose vacuum

99071AC020 HOSE VACUUM

16272AA0 01 INSULATOR AND GASKET KIT

442121 MFI FUEL INJECTOR DELIVERY PIPE R&R

I really am not in the mood to read this thread to see what the problem is so please bare with me lol... When I start my car in the morning ('05 LGT), I also get a pure gas smell but I don't think I smell it when it's warmed up. I get crappy gas mileage and I have a CNT catted downpipe.. So could it be the downpipe with high-flow cat letting me smell the gas or could I have a gas line leak? Car has ~150k.

I really am not in the mood to read this thread to see what the problem is so please bare with me lol... When I start my car in the morning ('05 LGT), I also get a pure gas smell but I don't think I smell it when it's warmed up. I get crappy gas mileage and I have a CNT catted downpipe.. So could it be the downpipe with high-flow cat letting me smell the gas or could I have a gas line leak? Car has ~150k.

Fairly sure you have a gas leak. Exhuast and gas smell different.

Dude, it's only a 5 page thread, lol.

you have a gas leak.

Late night, rough day, couldn't read lol. This is great.. I'll read the thread later and see if I find another question.

and rob-2, thanks for the pointer. I'll get figuring this out.

Got a response from the dealer, and here is the reply:

I ran your VIN number through the Subaru database, there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle. The gas leak on the older WRX’s was for a fuel seep only in colder temperatures and it was not a recall just a warranty extension. We would be glad to take a look at your vehicle for you to determine the cost of repairs. Our diagnostic fee is 101.00 and applies towards the repairs. If you would like to set an appointment you may e-mail or call.

You raise good points. It seems you buy a subi for the awd system first.

Weird rob-2, 104k miles for me, about 40k of them on stage 3 no less and I've had no problems except one wheel bearing recall. Seems like in your quest to say Subaru sucks your car hates you...

Got a response from the dealer, and here is the reply:

I ran your VIN number through the Subaru database, there are no outstanding recalls on your vehicle. The gas leak on the older WRX’s was for a fuel seep only in colder temperatures and it was not a recall just a warranty extension. We would be glad to take a look at your vehicle for you to determine the cost of repairs. Our diagnostic fee is 101.00 and applies towards the repairs. If you would like to set an appointment you may e-mail or call.

Don't take that laying down. Info in this thread will help, plus if you research this yourself you'll find cases of this issue outside their 02 and 03 WRX issue.

It's not a warranty claim, since you're not inside it. You're looking for them to do the right thing. Fuel lines shouldn't fail on 'newer' cars.

Weird rob-2, 104k miles for me, about 40k of them on stage 3 no less and I've had no problems except one wheel bearing recall. Seems like in your quest to say Subaru sucks your car hates you...

Not sure how this bares on anything but for you to poke at me for disliking the build quality of the vehicles Subaru produces.

Made it pretty clear this isn't with all vehicles but a known issue.

I don't know, not to go off topic, but in the time you've posted here I've heard how the AWD sucks and you got stuck on dry ground... then I heard how you ordered the wrong spark plugs and for some reason Subaru sucks because of that... now you have a mutation of a fuel line problem that no one else has specifically seen... who knows about the posts I've missed..

I don't know, not to go off topic, but in the time you've posted here I've heard how the AWD sucks and you got stuck on dry ground... then I heard how you ordered the wrong spark plugs and for some reason Subaru sucks because of that... now you have a mutation of a fuel line problem that no one else has specifically seen... who knows about the posts I've missed..

This is a waste of time. Love your car.. love it.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening in an LGT in my years of servicing subarus, and it was on this site- you. Your claims are worthless, meaningless, and even moreso filled with a lack of intelligence. close this POS thread.

Archived