LegacyGT.com

We Smell Gas

I sent them a couple of pictures of my lockwire fix.

I emailed the pictures and gave them a short story about the number of threads on this forum about the gas smell.

I would hope they could put 2 and 2 together and figure it out...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great, everyone who's had a problem outside the 02 and 03 WRX known issue should be emailing them. I think they are going to need a dozen people to make this a real problem.

How to get this thread more attention? This is a rather serious safety issue.

Can someone post a "form letter" that we should email to Subaru so we don't get a stupid basic response back from them like.....please take your car to the dealership so they can examine it....blah blah blah.

Thanks.

Can someone post a "form letter" that we should email to Subaru so we don't get a stupid basic response back from them like.....please take your car to the dealership so they can examine it....blah blah blah.

Thanks.

Does something like this work?

Dear Subaru,

I own a Subaru that suffers from the cracking gas line problem that is not covered by your company as it falls outside the 02 and 03 WRX recall. However it is apparent this problem is beyond one model as it affects mine.

Car Details:

Model:

Year:

Mileage:

State:

I am sending you this letter because I believe a recall is warranted to protect all Subaru owners against the dangers of fuel line failures. Which as I understand it could lead to engine fires, serious injury or death.

As a Subaru owner I ask that you take swift action to protecting all our safety and promptly fix this problem.

Yours truly,

YOUR NAME

Tell them

You know guys, is this a problem only for the LGT and OBXT or for NA Legacys and outbacks as well? Cause I am in Europe right now driving my USDM OBXT and I was just thinking that I'd go to the local norwegian subaru dealer and ask them if they've ever heard of this kind of complaints. But again, if this problem pertains to our models only, then no point I go ask them (neither LGTs nor OBXTs sold here. just NAs and Diesels).

Max, Max, Max...you have been around here long enough to know that this is not going to happen.

Yes, Yes, how silly of me...

You know guys, is this a problem only for the LGT and OBXT or for NA Legacys and outbacks as well? Cause I am in Europe right now driving my USDM OBXT and I was just thinking that I'd go to the local norwegian subaru dealer and ask them if they've ever heard of this kind of complaints. But again, if this problem pertains to our models only, then no point I go ask them (neither LGTs nor OBXTs sold here. just NAs and Diesels).

There are other Legacy's and Outbacks that don't have turbo's...?

I would think it would be a common issue. I'm sure the fuel piping is in the same location and use the same meterials. I'm sure someone like BAC5.2 may know the correct answer.

But please email them and let them know.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

This problem seems to not be limited to certain models/years/options. So I believe you can expect this with other cars - as suggested by my limited research.

This problem seems to not be limited to certain models/years/options. So I believe you can expect this with other cars - as suggested by my limited research.

I'll check over the subaruoutback.org forum, which I am a member of, to see what fellow subaru NA folks have said about this issue.

Edit: just did a quick search over subaruoutback and I've already found this: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/38469-gasoline-smell-when-car-idling.html

It appears that this problem applies to the previous gen as well!

Check this out as well especially the last post! --> http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/raw-fuel-smelli-log-here-101407p2.html

I didn't think the recall for the WRX's was about failing hoses... they just were too short or something so when they got cold a little gas vapor leaked by. So it was more of a hose/nipple connection issue rather than a full on fuel line crack. I dunno, I guess I never thought it was a big deal as it is only cold for 2-3 months a year so I never bothered to fixed it.

OP - just a friendly heads up that there will be more than a few unexpected service calls for your car. I wouldn't say its anything absurd, just in my personal experience Subaru's have more maintenance needs than Honda's. Subaru's are far more complex cars than most Honda's and therefore tend to require a little more TLC. All I am saying is don't budget like you are still driving a Honda... have a little rainy day fund set aside for the unknown!

I didn't think the recall for the WRX's was about failing hoses... they just were too short or something so when they got cold a little gas vapor leaked by. So it was more of a hose/nipple connection issue rather than a full on fuel line crack. I dunno, I guess I never thought it was a big deal as it is only cold for 2-3 months a year so I never bothered to fixed it.

OP - just a friendly heads up that there will be more than a few unexpected service calls for your car. I wouldn't say its anything absurd, just in my personal experience Subaru's have more maintenance needs than Honda's. Subaru's are far more complex cars than most Honda's and therefore tend to require a little more TLC. All I am saying is don't budget like you are still driving a Honda... have a little rainy day fund set aside for the unknown!

You raise good points. It seems you buy a subi for the awd system first.

Update 1/13.

Subaru America has been unwilling to do anything direclty and is 'gathering info'. What is most concerning is while they were in there replacing the 3 lines they could see multiple others were close to failing and HAD to be replaced.

This suggests that while you might see some issues with the car, there may be others hiding there.

I post this for all your safety.

I had this problem with my '05 GT Wagon. When the weather got cold I could detect the smell of gasoline in the cabin until the engine warmed up. I payed about $400 to have the lines replaced last winter after the dealer found them leaking badly.

As a bonus: Two of my coolant lines literally snapped about 10 minutes after picking the car up. Limped it back to the dealer and they replaced the coolant lines gratis, but they had become so brittle that they split when they were removed and replaced for fix the fuel lines. The tech apparently didn't notice it at the time but needless to say I was laying down an impressive smoke screen on my way back to the shop.

I had this problem with my '05 GT Wagon. When the weather got cold I could detect the smell of gasoline in the cabin until the engine warmed up. I payed about $400 to have the lines replaced last winter after the dealer found them leaking badly.

As a bonus: Two of my coolant lines literally snapped about 10 minutes after picking the car up. Limped it back to the dealer and they replaced the coolant lines gratis, but they had become so brittle that they split when they were removed and replaced for fix the fuel lines. The tech apparently didn't notice it at the time but needless to say I was laying down an impressive smoke screen on my way back to the shop.

Please email Subaru America and share this with them directly. They don't believe that this is regularly happening outside 02 and 03 WRX.

Just the tipical thank you for contacting us reply's.

I wonder if I should reply about the crappy a** starters they put in these things. Monday noon time in VT when I started the 09 with 35,000 miles the starter hung in for a second, it was about 7F at that time and the car had been in that cold temps since Saturday night.

Just the tipical thank you for contacting us reply's.

I wonder if I should reply about the crappy a** starters they put in these things. Monday noon time in VT when I started the 09 with 35,000 miles the starter hung in for a second, it was about 7F at that time and the car had been in that cold temps since Saturday night.

Follow up again because this is rather serious - fuel lines.

We are also having our starter looked at because it's doing the same thing.

That's some what nice of them for a seven year old car.

I went kicking and screaming to buy her a Subi. I wanted to get her a Honda. Subi America knows all my dealings with Honda over the last 20 years. Heck Honda was replacing failed 5sp auto trannies outside of warranty just to keep their name. I expect the same from a company that speaks about reliability and has over 90% of their cars still on the road, often with the same owner. Subaru has an up hill battle in this home now, and it's made a little easier by this gesture.

This a reminder to all those folks who think companies are out to screw you. Act nice, be fair and it sort of all works out.

I'm happy with Subi's action!

i emailed the givin email and just it back today basically saying thank you and asking for my name, address, and VIN number. They have asked if i brought to a stealership and when. I am not bringing it there to pay a fee to be told o yea something is wrong and then be charged again. So i will email them back. see how it goes.

Archived