LegacyGT.com

My Unassuming RBP LGT Journal/Tuning Thread

Yes. Got it figured out, though. A line popped off of the drivers side of the manifold. It's the one right above the injector there. Boost leak test exposed it pretty quick. That's one that actually wasn't zip tied.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Well, my fueling is maxed out as you can see it got a little lean, but still well within the limits of safe for E85. Injector duty cycles hit 107% so this is as far as I will go until I make a change. Peak power is a little low in the RPM range, but I noticed a slight incline in the road at the end of the run. Log still shows airflow and MAF voltage increasing after 5200 rpm so take the graph for what it's worth. Thanks for following along. This thing screams.

AVO45023PSI.jpg.b316b5d36ca956aeffc1a332a4c87c6d.jpg

Well, initially, I always thought my AVO fuel pump was not up to the task since switching to E85. Very reliable and long lasting pump, but at only 245lph. I think I need the DW300 hardwired. Beyond that, I'd probably be looking into the ID1300s with the top feed conversion, but that's another grand. For now, I can live with comfortably above 400whp with room still to grow later on. Besides, I don't have the beefy 6 speed like you do, so sandbagging this tune will prolong the life of the stock drivetrain not to mention the shortblock.

I think this turbo could easily be jumped to 26psi and somewhere in the neighborhood of 450whp, but I'm already on the edge with the aforementioned stock components.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, everything is maxed. I need a higher volume fuel pump hard-wired in. I need to extend some tables and increase load and airflow limits because they are maxed at 5 and 450, respectively. You can see in the graph it gets pretty close to 12:1 AFR which is no problem on E85, but I'd like to stay at 11.5.

AVO450apr.jpg.19fb70dfc5e849aadf6c2437b51ef2c4.jpg

• 6 months later...
Back in August, I replaced my AEM 65mm CAI with a KStech 83mm CAI since I was maxing the 65mm out. I dialed in the maf and logs immediately showed a defference. In the august heat, boost was up about a 1/2 psi peak from even some colder weather logs. Now that the weather is a little cooler (about 50 F), I decided to check. Exactly what I expected to happen happened. Fuel cut. :lol: In the cold, it's about 1 full psi above previous logs with the AEM in similar conditions. I need to either adjust my boost limits or turn down the MBC. Considering the VD numbers this thing put down below 5k RPM and my limited fueling (as evidenced by the slight lean spike), I should probably turn down the MBC. Check it out. This is the run right before I hit fuel cut.

fuelcut.jpg.65819e425edf13c312bb692172e08df2.jpg

• 1 month later...

First post is updated with the latest and some pictures.

Below is latest tune ran through VD. As you can see I have some AFR work. I'm maxing out my fuel pump and as a result, my commanded fueling is overly rich and my MAF scaling is overcompensating to prevent leaning out dangerously.

The next upgrades necessary include a larger fuel pump which I have purchased (Walbro 450)and eventually, this stock block will go. It's on borrowed time with a setup like this, but I've been carefully tuning it, monitoring the tune and keeping up with all maintenance. From there, a built long block with cams and I'll push this turbo to 28 pounds of boost. If the transmission doesn't give out first, that would be next. Beyond that, who knows?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/joeleodee/AVO450full_zpslghtxrnj.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/joeleodee/Gina1/AVO450last_zps1b755795.jpg

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=206145&d=1428373752

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/joeleodee/AVO450full_zpslghtxrnj.jpg

Peak power hits early because of the boost taper...

Same taper as before, no? Looks like it's holding a little more boost, actually. Was this on the same stretch of road?

Awesome thread, by the way, and really nice to see your tuning results and progress as you work through issues. Nice BB turbo, too. It'll shine, as you've said, above 25lbs.

LW's spec. B / YT / IG

Same taper as before, no? Looks like it's holding a little more boost, actually. Was this on the same stretch of road?

Awesome thread, by the way, and really nice to see your tuning results and progress as you work through issues. Nice BB turbo, too. It'll shine, as you've said, above 25lbs.

You make a good point. That second graph you posted has me puzzled. That was taken last spring and that's the only one that is just not consistent with the rest as far as where peak power hits. Most of the graphs put peak power anywhere between 5-6k or so. I rarely see one reporting peak much over 6k.

Yes, these logs are taken on the same stretch of road. I try to start at the same spot but who knows. There's a very slight dip at the end of the run, but usually I'm off the pedal at that point. Don't pay attention much to the numbers. I'm mainly looking at the curves.

As for the boost taper, the only thing that's changed in the setup from the first 2 graphs and the latest is I went from a 65mm intake to an 83mm intake. Without changing anything in the boost settings, The bigger intake caused boost to peaked more than 1psi and that's comparing a cold weather log (23psi) to a hot weather log (24.5psi). I actually had to turn down the mbc and change my boost fuel cut settings so I wouldn't overboost in the cold weather. Guessing the intake is why it doesn't taper quite as much. Turbo likes bigger intake. :D And I agree that this thing will still be making more power when I get a built long block and jump it to 28psi and I think it will have no problem holding 24-25 at redline.

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate others giving feedback. :cool:

• 4 weeks later...

If you look back the past year, this was a long time coming. I finally upgraded my fuel pump. I've got a Walbro 450 installed. I decided against hard wiring it for the simple fact that I'm still running the stock fuel pump regulator. Nevertheless, I'll probably need to upgrade that anyway. I have a fuelpro pump controller also but I'm not hooking that up just yet.

I can't really adjust my tune just yet since it snowed yesterday so I'll update when I do.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got out to observe the difference the fuel pump is making. I ran into a snag at first and started misfiring on cyl. 3. Turns out my coil pack went, but I had a spare on hand so I slapped it on there.

Reset the ECU to clear the code with a map having a little leaner commanded fuel. Prior trial runs were showing I was hitting closer to the overly rich I was commanding. As you can see, I'm not leaning out anymore, but IDCs are still in the high 90s ranges (better than 110-112%). Some further open loop maf scaling and a still bit leaner target AFRs will bring those IDCs down more. Right now I'm targeting 11.13-11.20 and ultimately I want to bring that to 11.5. The KStech 83mm CAI is a bit harder to scale since it's so big and there's not as much resolution to work with from cell to cell.

Nevertheless, the graph is still looking good. It kind of flattens because there's a slight incline right at the end of the run.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2416&pictureid=11163

• 2 weeks later...

Mainly posting for my own benefit of having record of what I've done.

I'm at a standstill right now. Take a look. Like the graph above, it still swings slightly leaner than target after 4500rpm before it comes back to where I have it targeted. Not as much as before, but that's as close as I can get. I have a big 83mm intake and I don't have many points of MAFv data in the range to work with to get that optimized. You see, it spends a lot of time in the 4.0v to 4.20v range and I have only 3.94, 4.06, and 4.18v data points to work with. So since I know that, I'm going to narrow the resolution in the map to add more data points between those figures. It's running flawlessly right now, but before I change those targets, I want to be sure that my maf scaling will allow me to hit what's commanded.

The original table in that range has MAFv values of

3.95, 4.06, 4.18, and 4.30.

Basically, I'm narrowing the range between each by stretching the data points out so now it will look like this.

3.95, 4.06, 4.10, 4.14, 4.18, 4.22, 4.24, 4.30

From there I will see if I can get it closer.

For those knowledgeable, besides scrapping this and going full speed density tuning, does this sound like a decent plan? I will hardwire the pump so that's not an issue anymore, but since I will be leaning it out a little more, that's not pressing at the moment.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2416&pictureid=11198

Mainly posting for my own benefit of having record of what I've done.

I'm at a standstill right now. Take a look. Like the graph above, it still swings slightly leaner than target after 4500rpm before it comes back to where I have it targeted. Not as much as before, but that's as close as I can get. I have a big 83mm intake and I don't have many points of MAFv data in the range to work with to get that optimized. You see, it spends a lot of time in the 4.0v to 4.20v range and I have only 3.94, 4.06, and 4.18v data points to work with. So since I know that, I'm going to narrow the resolution in the map to add more data points between those figures. It's running flawlessly right now, but before I change those targets, I want to be sure that my maf scaling will allow me to hit what's commanded.

The original table in that range has MAFv values of

3.95, 4.06, 4.18, and 4.30.

Basically, I'm narrowing the range between each by stretching the data points out so now it will look like this.

3.95, 4.06, 4.10, 4.14, 4.18, 4.22, 4.24, 4.30

From there I will see if I can get it closer.

For those knowledgeable, besides scrapping this and going full speed density tuning, does this sound like a decent plan? I will hardwire the pump so that's not an issue anymore, but since I will be leaning it out a little more, that's not pressing at the moment.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2416&pictureid=11198

The fact there aren't the data points on your MAF "ranges" that you speak about isn't really an issue... as the MAF is a perfect mathematical curve, and whether the data points are broken out or not isn't pertinent. The curve has ALL the data points, broken out or not.

So manipulating the MAF table in a series of straight lines isn't going to work. I used a spreadsheet program to design my MAF cal... and it worked perfectly. Any time the log results showed a variance it wasn't a problem with the MAF table, it was a problem elsewhere... often AVCS operation, a compensation somewhere, but not the MAF table.

Again, the MAF data in the MAF table comes from selections from that curve. So unless you have an issue where the airflow in your intake isn't logical, which isn't likely, you most likely merely have a "bump" in your curve... and that comes most likely from inaccuracies in the segmented data in the MAF table, not the mathematically derived curve OR from other influences coming from AVCS, compensations, etc.

Perfect the curve. Believe in it. It is the way air works. Use it as a standard, and it will lead to refinements in the individual data points in your MAF table. When the curve is perfect, it then serves to point to the elsewheres for your answers.

To create the "curve" you need to input your MAF table into a program that will plot it. Then you can look at the curve visually instead of manipulating numbers randomly and seeing what it does. If the curve the program produces isn't perfect, which you can easily see, you THEN manipulate the MAF table data in that area until it IS perfect. The curve will lead you to your answers.

Thanks. That makes sense. Cobb ATR software does plot out the maf curve so I do visually notice slight bumps and I'm using the 'bad noodle' OL maf scaling tool to get close. The AFR curve you see above is as close I could get with that method. I guess from that point, I will simply get that curve perfected like you say using the scaling tool only as a guide. If that doesn't work, like you said, I will look at other tables, but as it is, I'm not far off. However, with E85 moving to summer blends here in a couple months, I want this dialed in perfectly as that may move the AFR curve slightly more lean and with a precise MAF curve already built, I'll just have to shift the figures accordingly.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate your suggestions. :)

I got my AFRs pretty flat. Basically, like I said, narrowed the resolution by widening the data points in between so I could get more precise numbers to help perfect the maf curve. You were right Seeeya. It was all about perfecting that curve. It was just easier to do with more voltage data values to work with while charting it out on a graph.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2416&pictureid=11209

Archived