LegacyGT.com

My Unassuming RBP LGT Journal/Tuning Thread

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the links. While the information is helpful, I'm still wondering if I'm leaving power on the table. Basically, I would expect to run this kind of power with regular 93 unleaded and that's where those formulas make sense. Perhaps I need to still add a little more timing to take advantage of the e85 and maybe bump the boost up. But by comparison with how it's tuned now and what I've seen smaller turbos put down, I can't rule out something mechanical that's holding this back.

GTX3076R

:hide:

I hate you.

Damn, you're running 25?

I've got a log of Edmundu's running 21 psi on Meth. Some differences to note besides the meth, it's in the 20 degree weather and he's running less timing. My run happened at about a 55 degree temperature.

Maybe I need to switch my spring out and bump the psi up. Right now, my spring pressure is 11.6 so I can't go much above 23psi without doing that first. Anyway, here's that information.

edmundu.csv

edmundu2.jpg.9cbda9e252874b1d57ac30603554804c.jpg

Again, I know it's just numbers, but I should still be in the ballpark and this is on 93 octane.

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/19286-avo-450-dyno-s.html

AVO's dyno graph from a LGT also on pump fuel and 25psi

http://legacygt.com/reviews/data/45/11323avo450_dyno-thumb.jpg

E85 and 26psi on a Mustang dyno

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/avo-450-dyno-chart-116376.html

• 1 month later...

A bit of an annoying issue. I have had my IAM drop with no indications in the LV to suggest a reason.

I'm running E85 and as you can see, there's a few cells that are adding timing and no learned knock indicated. I've noticed this since it's gotten a little cooler outside (read 40s-50s) and I had battery terminal issues which I thought might be contributing, but I corrected that and still the same issue.

When I reset the ECU, IAM will start at .80 as per my tune and it will raise up to 1 like it is supposed to. However, as time goes by, IAM eventually drops and I'd have to reset and begin the cycle all over again. Once it drops, it will not raise back up unless the ECU is reset. Any ideas?

1729966172_LearningView_SS_11-13-201311412PM.jpg.9d5302fa41d0d511ae84f012e16fc8f1.jpg

A bit of an annoying issue. I have had my IAM drop with no indications in the LV to suggest a reason.

I'm running E85 and as you can see, there's a few cells that are adding timing and no learned knock indicated. I've noticed this since it's gotten a little cooler outside (read 40s-50s) and I had battery terminal issues which I thought might be contributing, but I corrected that and still the same issue.

When I reset the ECU, IAM will start at .80 as per my tune and it will raise up to 1 like it is supposed to. However, as time goes by, IAM eventually drops and I'd have to reset and begin the cycle all over again. Once it drops, it will not raise back up unless the ECU is reset. Any ideas?

You've got knock, what do you expect. The tune needs to be addressed, and perhaps other things as well. You mention a "battery terminal issue" which to me means lax maintenance. Maybe there is more.

But for sure you have knock, and knock that is in a bad place to have knock. To see this in view of the fact you are using E85 is doubly troubling, and indicative of a serious issue.

Furthermore, there is obviously a lot more knock that isn't learned, that has dropped your IAM to protect the engine. All in all, there needs to be a serious look at your tune, your fueling, and the state of your engine in general.

In my opinion, anytime one sees knock like I see there, but which you apparently aren't concerned about, coupled with a reduction in the IAM... expect engine damage. To me, that is motivation enough to back up and find the reasons before driving normally again. Betting your knock is "rattles" has cost many an engine... besides, vibrating resonances do not produce wideband knock like your LV displays.

Thanks for the response and let me clear up a few things. Nothing suggests that I'm not concerned, that's why I present the inquiry in the first place. I only mentioned that according to LV, I don't have an indication of knock. That being said, it's since been suggested that perhaps since the iam had dropped so sharply, the areas NOT adding timing may be the areas of concern.

I've been running on this tune for a few months with no issues and that leads me to believe something outside the tune is the issue, however, I'm not ruling out the tune since some hack named joeleodee is the tuner. ;) . It's also possible that because of a switch to winter e85, I need to make a few more revisions than I was originally led to believe I had to make. Either way, something has to be the cause. Engine rattles aren't a concern. I've already ruled that out. I also need a clutch that doesn't slip before making 4th gear pulls and I can better check the upper end of the maf scaling again. I just took another LV after more than 60 miles of mixed driving conditions, IAM remains at 1 and no areas of pulled/added timing. I'm keeping my ear to the grass and not sweeping this under the rug.

I don't pretend to be a proficient tuner, but if you knew the tuning personnel issues we have in the Midwest, you'd understand why I am taking this on myself.

Thanks for the response and let me clear up a few things. Nothing suggests that I'm not concerned, that's why I present the inquiry in the first place. I only mentioned that according to LV, I don't have an indication of knock. That being said, it's since been suggested that perhaps since the iam had dropped so sharply, the areas NOT adding timing may be the areas of concern.

I've been running on this tune for a few months with no issues and that leads me to believe something outside the tune is the issue, however, I'm not ruling out the tune since some hack named joeleodee is the tuner. ;) . It's also possible that because of a switch to winter e85, I need to make a few more revisions than I was originally led to believe I had to make. Either way, something has to be the cause. Engine rattles aren't a concern. I've already ruled that out. I also need a clutch that doesn't slip before making 4th gear pulls and I can better check the upper end of the maf scaling again. I just took another LV after more than 60 miles of mixed driving conditions, IAM remains at 1 and no areas of pulled/added timing. I'm keeping my ear to the grass and not sweeping this under the rug.

I don't pretend to be a proficient tuner, but if you knew the tuning personnel issues we have in the Midwest, you'd understand why I am taking this on myself.

The bolded is what concerns me... EVERYTHING about that LV shows you have knock. I never saw another LV, but that one is bad, IMO. I definitely would consider it bad if it were my car. Learned knock like that, and a reduced IAM from serious knock (which an LV doesn't record, only logs will show that) caused me to post my two cents.

I also remember when edmundu had that turbo, and some of its characteristics. It spools later than most... a consideration when tuning.

If you are running E85 and you have a LV with learned knock and a reduced IAM like posted, then something is wrong, and wrong enough to damage your engine. You won't find the issue in a Learning View, only proper logs.

I'm going to leave it at that.

^ You're absolutely right and I appreciate it. What I meant to say was that according to the LV flkc, there's not an indication and yes I will take it out for some proper logs to see where the issue is. I've never had it drop the IAM like this and I don't think I should chalk it up to bad gas. Perhaps there's some kind of leak that's leaning out the mixture or whatever. Thanks for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, 200 miles of all driving conditions and IAM remains at 1 and hasn't budged. Don't know what's going on.

On another note, this setup and tune has outgrown my ACT HD SS clutch setup. I'm leaning towards an FX350. I've heard great things about it, but would that hold this level of power. I'm thinking of even bumping the boost up slightly next spring.

Oh and I've had iam randomly drop before and couldn't get it to repeat after a reset. Not sure why it randomly happened but I'm not worried about it. Timing, boost, or afr need to be pretty out of whack to really cause trouble with e85.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• 1 year later...

Going to be getting back into this tune once I have a clutch that works. This graph was plotted shortly before my clutch began slipping. Now the power numbers may look okay, but this is a 50lb/min. ball bearing turbo on E85 with all supporting mods pushing 23psi of boost. This turbo should be laying down numbers well over 400whp on this dyno. For reference, this same turbo made 400whp on pump 93 on another 2005 LGT on only 20psi of boost (same dyno as well however 20 degree temps). Suffice it to say, something is causing this setup to not realize its full potential. It could be something mechanical or it could be the crappy tuner.

And before anyone says anything about my AFRs, yes I know. I was working on some maf scaling before my clutch gave up and I'm still trying to determine if I'm leaning out a little due to having a fuel pump that's not up to the task of feeding this turbo E85. That'll become more apparent as we move forward in this quest.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n29/joeleodee/Gina1/AVO450last_zps1b755795.jpg

As a point of reference, when I was running pump 93, at 17-18 lbs of boost, the VD was showing 320-330+ whp and a little more conservative timing. Since then, the only mechanical changes are things that should have actually increased power; namely a 44mm external wastegate and bigger AVO fmic.

Compare that to now running E85, 23psi of boost, and a little more aggressive timing with the EWG and FMIC. The VD should be recording well over 400whp.

• 3 weeks later...

Vehicle underwent some major mechanical work which included a new clutch. I changed my downpipe setup and now I have the big catless turboxs unit with a custom fabbed center pipe to mate to the exhaust. We think we found a leak in the uppipe and I suspected an exhaust leak that came from somewhere in the front. I could never find it in the gaskets and flanges, though. Well, it seems the weld in the uppipe may be suspect. I'm Sending that uppipe back for inspection and I have another in there now.

We also added a spring to the ewg so boost will have to be retuned. Went from 11.6lb to 14.5lb. New timing belt and all the stuff that goes with that among many other small updates. Check the OP for all the mods currently on the car.

Next order of business is to get this clutch broken in before I can do anything else. Thanks for following.

• 3 weeks later...

Update.

Clutch is all broken in and I have switched tuning hardware completely. I no longer use APV1 with StreetTuner in conjunction with Romraider/Ecuflash. I have upgraded to Cobb V2 with ATR software. Had a few hiccups upon switching and basically learned that injector latency values are different going from V1 ST to V2 ATR. Just a small bump in the road.

On to more fun. I'm back down to 16.5psi, but I'm running close to the same numbers as before when I was at 23psi. This run also ended at about 6000 rpm as numbers were still climbing. Take a look. AFRs are right where I want them at about 11.2-11.5 and I just noticed there was some FBKC due to shifting right before the run began so it was a couple degrees down in timing which started to come back throughout the run. Peak boost is coming on just before 3800rpm which is respectible for a turbo of this size and an old design.

I'm going to slowly start turning up the boost and really monitor my AFRs closely since I suspect I may have a fuel pump that's beyond it's capacity when I start holding higher boost levels at higher RPMs.

AVO450GRAPH1.jpg.9c9c419b0793b7fa84b152e51de57e49.jpg

Archived