LegacyGT.com

My Unassuming RBP LGT Journal/Tuning Thread

I got my AFRs pretty flat. Basically, like I said, narrowed the resolution by widening the data points in between so I could get more precise numbers to help perfect the maf curve. You were right Seeeya. It was all about perfecting that curve. It was just easier to do with more voltage data values to work with while charting it out on a graph.

http://legacygt.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2416&pictureid=11209

You did a great job. However, I found a perfectly flat AFR wasn't ideal.

Despite going against everything I thought I knew, I found a quick dip from virtually stoic prior to spool to a dip into the 10s (10.8 actually) helped both to mitigate knock but most importantly it spooled quicker and harder. The torque curve rose faster. Thereafter 11.5 afr until it approached 6k where 11.8 helped extend the hp curve.

Additionally, and again to help extend the hp curve on the top end, I used non-traditional AVCS tuning. The top end, that is 5800-7k, doesn't need as much fuel and does need more overlap.

I can provide examples if interested.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You did a great job. However, I found a perfectly flat AFR wasn't ideal.

Despite going against everything I thought I knew, I found a quick dip from virtually stoic prior to spool to a dip into the 10s (10.8 actually) helped both to mitigate knock but most importantly it spooled quicker and harder. The torque curve rose faster. Thereafter 11.5 afr until it approached 6k where 11.8 helped extend the hp curve.

Additionally, and again to help extend the hp curve on the top end, I used non-traditional AVCS tuning. The top end, that is 5800-7k, doesn't need as much fuel and does need more overlap.

I can provide examples if interested.

I would love to see what you have. I was told about the rich dip helping with spool at one point, but someone else told me that was dead wrong. Either way, I mainly wanted to get this AFR curve flat so now I can start fine tuning the fueling like you recommend. I'm definitely comfortable running my AFRs leaner like that. I'm going to adjust accordingly, however, when the summer blend E85 becomes available because if I tune for 11.5-11.8 now, I'll lean out to above 12s with E85.....in theory. Nevertheless, as tight of a tune this needs to be, I will run one map for E70 and one for E85.

I would love to see what you have. I was told about the rich dip helping with spool at one point, but someone else told me that was dead wrong. Either way, I mainly wanted to get this AFR curve flat so now I can start fine tuning the fueling like you recommend. I'm definitely comfortable running my AFRs leaner like that. I'm going to adjust accordingly, however, when the summer blend E85 becomes available because if I tune for 11.5-11.8 now, I'll lean out to above 12s with E85.....in theory. Nevertheless, as tight of a tune this needs to be, I will run one map for E70 and one for E85.

I'll dig up something for you.

But like I said, I kept AFRs essentially stoic up until spool then dipped quickly to 10.8... then just as quickly went back to 11.5 tapering to 11.8 past 55-5800 to 7k.

Specifying AVCS isn't as easy. I'll have to send you a file on that. But that was key in keeping the top end strong.

I'm on record supporting 11s for AFRs as opposed to all the common 10 talk. It is my firm opinion that much of the ringland issues stem from rich tunes, not lean tunes. Lean means tighter timing. Rich leave fuel to blow ringlands apart.

• 6 months later...

Archived