LegacyGT.com

My Unassuming RBP LGT Journal/Tuning Thread

Installed my Grimmspeed hybrid boost control setup. If anybody is thinking of going this route, there's a few helpful threads on Nasioc that I referred to to help understand the routing and advantages. Right now, I'm just running the EBCS. I've got all the Ts capped of so when we're ready to do some fine tuning, I'll just add the lines back in to include the MBC to the mix.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, my tuner has been busy with his other job. Besides, since our weather has been not conducive to tuning and the car has been running safe and clean, there is no rush. We don't have an awd dyno here so the best we can do is road tune. Hopefully we can dial it in this week as weather is looking 40s and dry.

On a related note, my tuner is going to slap an airboys spreadsheet on it and I think I'll run the Virtual Dyno for comparison. Good idea?

Okay, the following is Virtual Dyno graph. Very easy to use software. The tune is very conservative like stated before and definitely not fine tuned for the higher RPM capability of this turbo. Don't know how accurate these numbers are, but they seem right in line with what I've seen from this turbo at under 20 psi. Over 20 psi, I've seen graphs that hit closer to 400whp. I'd say based on that, this graph is close to what my car is putting down right now. What do you think?

AVO450safetune.jpg.656e928dc85130829bf21b6d1eeafac3.jpg

I was just making the statement for comparison purposes. We are definitely not going to take this turbo to it's limit. On E85, we will actually detune it and take advantage of the better response, spool, and resistance to knock characteristics that ethanol has to offer.

Initially, we are going to smooth this tune out and add a few more psi and that should do for a winter tune.

Looks good for a very conservative tune...

FWIW (I know you plan on adding more PSI) you really have room to safely run more boost after 4,500 (maybe hold 17psi till redline). As it is tuned today, you have a pretty late spooling turbo that falls flat after 4500.. :(

You are likely putting down around 300 whp - that increase in power after 6K RPM is probably a dip in the road.

Could be a dip, can't remember. I'll take more runs on what I know to be a flat road. I just know that most of my logging runs were taken up slight inclines and those were showing in the 300whp range so it could also be the road leveling. ;). Really, I was just playing with the Virtual dyno software and decided to load some of my runs and see how it reacted. If I knew I'd be loading them on a dyno, I would have made sure the road was flat. That all really doesn't matter, though. Seems no matter what all dynos read differently. Nevertheless, Virtual Dyno may be valuable for tuning proposes.

Thanks for the tip, however. You're right about room to add after 4500rpm. Remember, not only is this tune conservative, it is far from fine tuned. My tuner had a much stronger tune on this thing still at 18psi until the ebcs took a crap. He basically loaded the safe right-out-of-the-shop tune back on it. Basically, that means since he knew this turbo shines beyond 4500, he didn't want to do anything crazy yet until we figured out the problem.

This weekend, hopefully, we can get a respectable tune going.

I will hit a flat road because you have me curious, though. :)

What I like to do is use the same road every time. That way, the road dyno numbers are relative to one another. I totally agree with you, the peak number does not really matter much...what is important is that you see that number go up when you make changes to your map. The power numbers will really go up when your tuner starts adding more boost.

I predict 340-350 whp on pump when it is all done. :)

Joel is Mark helping you tune it or who is it

Pmed.

What I like to do is use the same road every time. That way, the road dyno numbers are relative to one another. I totally agree with you, the peak number does not really matter much...what is important is that you see that number go up when you make changes to your map. The power numbers will really go up when your tuner starts adding more boost.

I predict 340-350 whp on pump when it is all done. :)

That sounds about in the range I was thinking for the pump tune.

Absolutely, though, about the same road. I know just the road for that. The problem is not a lack of flat roads, it's a lack of flat empty roads. :spin: Since I live in the middle of the city, I've got a bit of a drive before roads start clearing out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This project is turning into more and more of a headache. :spin:

Currently, the car is not driveable. I've had some surging issues since the injectors went in last summer before the turbo. We figured it had something to do with the sidefeed DW 1100cc injectors since the surging began right after the injectors were installed. Since it was not that noticeable and still ran fine, we decided that it was something we would just work through. A few weeks ago, I noticed that as I depress the clutch during normal driving maneuvers, the RPMs drop to anywhere below 300. :eek: Then one morning when taking the kids to school, when trying to make a turn, the RPMs dropped so low that it died. Of course, I lost power steering and brakes, and not expecting that, it almost caused an accident. I put the car away until my tuner could look into it. I was not going to drive an unsafe vehicle.

My tuner came over yesterday to see what he could find out. He's tuned similar setups and went through all the fixes he knew of until he finally came to the conclusion that the front o2 sensor has gone out and is making everything funky. Last time it went out, it threw a code to which he testified that they can often fail without throwing a CEL. In speaking with other members here, a faulty front 02 sensor has been the culprit of surging, but I kept looking the other way as it coincidentally began right after the injectors were installed. Needless to say this has been very frustrating, especially since I have replaced that sensor once already. I was looking forward to having a respectable tune on this car this weekend.

Anyway, I'm pretty confident that this will fix the aforementioned issues. In fact, while the ECU was hooked up to the tuner's computer, he noticed that while it was running very rough, the sensor was not recording data, and it finally kicked in and it smoothed out again.

Definitely sounds like you're on the right track. Good luck!

And it appears I was. Got the replacement o2 sensor in and I installed it. I was a bit discouraged at first, because while the surging was drastically reduced and barely noticeable, the rpms still dipped and sometimes stalled the engine like before. I brought the car home and thought about it for awhile, then I remembered something; The ECU learns. I went back out with the car and as it turns out, the stalling issue was no more. I'm going to take it out again to guage the surging, but I'm confident that whatever surging there is, the ECU may take care of it, or we can tune it out since it is so minimal.

Archived