LegacyGT.com

18G upgrade, anyone have one?

Did you mean the early spoolers are running headers/ equal lengths?

I have a local that picked up almost 30hp just by switching to EL headers. If this is normal and will help spool, I'll gladly give up the rumble for a quicker spooling, harder hitting turbo. :)

Slammed more than your girlfriend.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you mean the early spoolers are running headers/ equal lengths?

I have a local that picked up almost 30hp just by switching to EL headers. If this is normal and will help spool, I'll gladly give up the rumble for a quicker spooling, harder hitting turbo. :)

Headers usually slow spool. How much depends on internal volume and design, plus build quality. Big volume is more gas to pressurize before that pressure arrives at the turbine. Equal length usually lengthens the shortest run to achieve equality, so one or two runs are longer than before and thus the gas is cooler when it hits the turbine. Thinner metal tubes hold heat less well than cast-iron manifolds, so they cool off more when not in hard use. Until they heat up again they suck a lot of heat out of the exhaust gas, which reduces energy and thus slows spool.

Sure you can pick up 30whp with EL headers. Just expect a hit in spool, especially when cold.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Wow! I just got a shit-ton of useful info. Thanks guys for all the replies! I understand that everyone wants rocket-power when dumping money into something that will likely not matter come selling time. That being said, I have no expectation that this thing will be a street-sleeper shitting on Porsche GT2's, but when push came to shove, I figured, why pay Subaru upwards of $1200 for a factory replacement, when I could have the 18G for $900, and gain a tiny bit of power? So heres the million dollar question... What would you smart types who have been on this road already suggest as mods/upgrades from a DD stand-point? Im def. gonna get a tune, although finding a local tune shop that doesnt require a Cobb AP is seemingly impossible. The RUF tuner on Rte. 1 is gonna get a call today and if they cant help, I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and send my AP to Cobb for a download. From there, at a minimum, Im thinking new TM/FMIC and injectors. (Prolly in the 750 cfm range) Does that sound like a solid plan? Thanks in advance Gents!
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

I have a Blouch 18g. You need fuel for these turbos. A pump and injectors with a good tune. I have a moderately conservative tune to about 320whp @ 18.5 psi. I was running the stock injectors for a while, IDC's were in the 98% range. I upgraded to DW740's and retuned. Much more power from 5-6K, IDC's are down under 70% now.

Wow! I just got a shit-ton of useful info. Thanks guys for all the replies! I understand that everyone wants rocket-power when dumping money into something that will likely not matter come selling time. That being said, I have no expectation that this thing will be a street-sleeper shitting on Porsche GT2's, but when push came to shove, I figured, why pay Subaru upwards of $1200 for a factory replacement, when I could have the 18G for $900, and gain a tiny bit of power? So heres the million dollar question... What would you smart types who have been on this road already suggest as mods/upgrades from a DD stand-point? Im def. gonna get a tune, although finding a local tune shop that doesnt require a Cobb AP is seemingly impossible. The RUF tuner on Rte. 1 is gonna get a call today and if they cant help, I guess Ill have to bite the bullet and send my AP to Cobb for a download. From there, at a minimum, Im thinking new TM/FMIC and injectors. (Prolly in the 750 cfm range) Does that sound like a solid plan? Thanks in advance Gents!

Contact DPS

http://www.dpstuning.com/

They do local opensource tuning.

Open source for the win my man. Dump that AP, or purchase the AcessTuner software for it.

Thanks man, I got the AP (for free) from a buddy who sold his STi. He wasnt very car savvy so he didnt "un-marry" the license for the AP before he sold it and according to the local tune shops, a new license is like $395... Then a Pro-Tune is another $500. Has anyone used a "Tactrics" OBD cable? My bro was talking about getting one for his WRX to reflash his ECU.

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

Thanks man, I got the AP (for free) from a buddy who sold his STi. He wasnt very car savvy so he didnt "un-marry" the license for the AP before he sold it and according to the local tune shops, a new license is like $395... Then a Pro-Tune is another $500. Has anyone used a "Tactrics" OBD cable? My bro was talking about getting one for his WRX to reflash his ECU.

Send it off to Cobb, its like $100 to unmarry. I have tuned hundreds of folks via the Tactrix cable and Opensource tuning, over email and in person.

What year is your car?

If 05-06 you can get away with purchasing a 'vag com' cable on ebay for a 1/4 of the price.

05... Ill look into it. Thanks! You guys are the greatest!

Dont forget a clutch somewhere in there if your still on the stock one. It may hold for now but it probably wont last too long. But on stock fuel its perfectly fine. I too an starting a build for an 18g. I just need to pull all the peices together. So far its:

CNT Catted Downpipe

GMS Catback

Gutted Uppipe (Going to be replaced)

RacerX FMIC

Cobb SF intake

GFB BOV

DW 740cc injectors

JDM TGV's

And still need a few more things but its getting there. I am stuck on the headers though. Are they worth the extra money? The 3 options im looking at are GTspec EL vs GTspec UEL vs PnP Grimmspeed manifolds and HiFlow crosspipe.

From what i've read, the headers don't really seem to be worth the money. One thing I haven't read about here at all though is cams, does anybody upgrade cams on these cars, or is it cost prohibitive b/c of how hard it is to get to the heads. Would you have to pull the motor to have enough access?

Ok so I talked to someone at DPS (dpstuning.com) today and he charges $450 for an open-source tune... Gotta say thats a whole lot more than I expected! Might as well bite the bullet and get the AP fixed up and go get a protune...

The guy I talked to did however say that since the turbo I have has a 1 bar wastegate actuator spring, that he would have to "zero-out" my solenoid because the factory unit only peaks out between 12-13 psi. Think I might be in a bit over my head here fellas. God I hope this car will run without a tune for a few days. I've been driving around a rental Yaris and I dont know how much more I can take before I drive it into a tree!

on a side note, I did find a few E85 filling stations here in MD, one of which is really close to me!..

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-maryland.htm

Infamous can tune your car if you have a laptop and a vagcom cable. It's $150 for the tune

how does that work? Im a total nOOb when it comes to tuning so break it down for me please.

I was complete noob as well, but it's real easy. Infamous ( Shamar )will give instructions via email and many people here have used him.

So here's how it works. Get a laptop (if you don't have one, a cheap ass one is fine), a vagcom cable (which what I used, from ebay) OR a Tactrix cable (expensive)

-Download Romraider, Learning View, and ECUFlash onto your laptop. (follow how to set up on their website)

-Infamous will send you a base map with the instructions.

- connect the laptop to your obdII port using your cable, you'll "flash" the map into your ecu for the car.

- using romraider logger, you'll pull information from your car. (the tune requires you to make 3rd gear pulls from 2k rpm to redline)

- after saving that information, send to shamar and he'll send you a revised base map, one better than before

- repeat until done.

that's just the jist, but it is real EASY and there's many threads in the tuning section here.

I used him when I went stage 2, its a 'fun' experience and you learn more about your car.

Ok so I talked to someone at DPS (dpstuning.com) today and he charges $450 for an open-source tune... Gotta say thats a whole lot more than I expected! Might as well bite the bullet and get the AP fixed up and go get a protune...

The guy I talked to did however say that since the turbo I have has a 1 bar wastegate actuator spring, that he would have to "zero-out" my solenoid because the factory unit only peaks out between 12-13 psi. Think I might be in a bit over my head here fellas. God I hope this car will run without a tune for a few days. I've been driving around a rental Yaris and I dont know how much more I can take before I drive it into a tree!

on a side note, I did find a few E85 filling stations here in MD, one of which is really close to me!..

http://e85vehicles.com/e85-maryland.htm

Just remember that when tuning for e85 you'll need alot larger injectors. You'll also only be able to use e85, so should you find the need to venture out of town you better hope to run across a station selling it.

+1 for opensource Infamous tune. Sounds like it might be your best bet.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b192/00vr6gti/sc00651c56.jpg

What's up with this graph? Aren't the HP and TQ lines supposed to intersect at 5250 rpm?

I would have been happy with 350/350 considering my mod list...

Me too. Only I've got a billet wheeled 20g. :(

Archived