LegacyGT.com

Remote Mount Turbo

Squires Turbo Systems has a Remote mount turbo kit that my buddy was telling me about. I dont know anyone who has installed this on a subaru legacy or impreza but it seems pretty interesting and the logic behind it makes total sense. I have but minimal knowledge concerning this type of work but if anyone understands this better what would it take to make this work with our rides. It seems pretty unique... my buddy has an impreza and this company is local and he said that the owner was gonna put something together for his ride, my buddy never followed through on the offer but apparently the guy that owns this place knows his stuff... Any opinions suggestions...http://ststurbo.com/

yea it does seem to be quite popular with the trucks judging from the site. Like I said I just heard about it, never have seen it in real life at least never knew it. Looks like the setup is pretty universal... Corvettes, classics, 350z, jeeps, no lag either because the exhaust is constantly spooling the turbo. Im guessing the only trial would be tuning the engine oh and maybe the intake trudging through snow here in utah so that would require some fabrication to create a shield... Just watched a few installs and seems like you could implement the single turbo pretty easy, or even the twin if you could limit each turbo to 3.5 psi... haha. I might have to run down the road this week to the STS office and have a chat...

also I dont really know what kind of gains one would expect with a 4eat. I assume maybe a 3rd of the gains the mt avo guys are seeing... ? but it would be nice to have a second alternative and someone on the automatic side provide their turbo results... maybe 70-85 hp, but for 2k that aint bad especially with the dollar per hp yield of the NA being so sheisty and all. What is the AVO street price... like 3600... plus shipping ?

The question is can your tranny hold it and what does it do about the fueling and timing under boost? That is something you should ask them. Good luck
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Let me know how it turns out.

I'm planning to do something like this for my friend Titain. I can get everything fabbed and since I make my own FMIC I was going to make a FMIC for his truck. I'm just wondering how they are going to meet the added fuel demand and the need to reduce timing under boost.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

can you imagine the turbo lag.... thats a long way away.

I don't think it will be as bad as you think. Since the car is not turbo to begin with it has higher compression and has more low-end power. So lag will no be the same as turbo cars.

jleighton88 watch this video and look at the dyno results at the end. Near to none lag... not really apples to apples though this being a camaro but it is positive displacement as he says... as soon as the car starts the exhaust spins the turbo [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnFA93_U9hY]STS Turbo on 2 Guys Garage - YouTube[/ame]

Here is a video of some 350z's with the sts turbos [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F_jhpCvies]STS Turbo 350Z - YouTube[/ame]

I hate to say this, but the cost of their universal kit makes ours look cheap - no intercooler (and associated hosing), a generic turbo, and you have to pay another $400 for "raw pipes, clamps, and silicone couplers".

Anyways, this isn't the first time this was asked, and won't be the last. And I look forward to somebody trying this, even for just curiosities sake. I've already sold at least one GTO twin turbo kit to somebody replacing their STS kit due to issues.

But to get down to brass tacks, turbochargers work off of exhaust gases, and the more you have, the better they work. So they probably wouldn't have a huge problem working off a 3.5-liter Z, for instance, or a 5-8 liter V8. But off a 2.5-liter 2.5i? Not so great. Plus the fact you'll need to route intake piping down to the turbo, then route the compressed air all the way back to the intake manifold. Both those paths are gonna be running under the car. In fact, you have to consider that you have to make space for a hot turbo, inlet and outlet piping, oil lines (lonnnng oil lines) and more.

And then finally - this is all running underneath the car. What do you do about rain and snow?

Regards,

Paul Hansen

http://www.avoturboworld.com

http://www.facebook.com/avoturboworld

And then finally - this is all running underneath the car. What do you do about rain and snow?

This would be my main concern as well, I can't imagine a hot turbo would like being splashed with cold ice/water, seems like that bad boy would be cracked or warped (read; blown) in no time...

I've seen an STS kit on a GTO. It cost a LOT to get running right, was laggy, and it was still slower than a Maggied GTO. And it prevented the car from driving in the winter.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I am clueless and thanks for the info apex. I really like the idea of a turbo on a 2.5, not really looking to beat an lgt but maybe just some more pep in the near future when this becomes my non daily driver. The moisture issue is a valid concern and i was wondering the same, maybe some sort of fabrication and what have you, but lets say I talk with the owner and he is willing to work something out for me and has drummed up a method to get it working and integrated with the subie then I believe it may be worth it to others as well. I have not ruled the AVO out at all. In fact I really would like to go that route but I really like the idea of local support and tuning by the designers...

No argument, you can get it to work. That's fairly simple. It's the details of getting it to work that's a bit of an issue. You have to run oil lines to and from the turbo, and if it's lower than the oil pan which necessitates running an oil pump back there with the turbo. Forget water cooling, that's not going to happen.

STS turbochargers work well in their intended application, on big V8's that push out so much exhaust gas that it's a non-issue in getting the turbochargers to spool up. On smaller motors, such as ours, it's a bigger issue. The closer the turbo is to the exhaust, the better the spool. The more heat in the exhaust, the more efficient it is. That's the reason Evo's outperformed Subaru's for spool - they had the turbo right off the exhaust manifold. Which has been matched recently by Subaru mounting the turbo under the engine at the front, on the Legacies. In both cases, if either Ralliart or Subaru thought the turbo was really more efficient the further away from the exhaust ports, they would have designed them that way. Especially Ralliart, given that they were hand fabricating the cars in the beginning.

But it's your car, and your money. It may be quite interesting, and it would at least settle the question of what type of performance gains you'd expect from it.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

This would be my main concern as well, I can't imagine a hot turbo would like being splashed with cold ice/water, seems like that bad boy would be cracked or warped (read; blown) in no time...

I never thought of that. Living out here in Southern Cali all my life I forget that people have to deal with snow and bad weather. We get a light rain and everyone out here freaks out.:lol:

You are going to make a 2.5i 4eat a non daily driver? Did I miss something?

oh haha sorry forgot to mention, I will probably be buying a new car next summer, so the 2.5 will become my project car. Nothing amazing, probably not a huge amount of gains but non the less whichever platform I go... I will be getting a turbo for the 2.5

You are going to make a 2.5i 4eat a non daily driver? Did I miss something?

A fool and his money...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

No argument, you can get it to work. That's fairly simple. It's the details of getting it to work that's a bit of an issue. You have to run oil lines to and from the turbo, and if it's lower than the oil pan which necessitates running an oil pump back there with the turbo. Forget water cooling, that's not going to happen.

STS turbochargers work well in their intended application, on big V8's that push out so much exhaust gas that it's a non-issue in getting the turbochargers to spool up. On smaller motors, such as ours, it's a bigger issue. The closer the turbo is to the exhaust, the better the spool. The more heat in the exhaust, the more efficient it is. That's the reason Evo's outperformed Subaru's for spool - they had the turbo right off the exhaust manifold. Which has been matched recently by Subaru mounting the turbo under the engine at the front, on the Legacies. In both cases, if either Ralliart or Subaru thought the turbo was really more efficient the further away from the exhaust ports, they would have designed them that way. Especially Ralliart, given that they were hand fabricating the cars in the beginning.

But it's your car, and your money. It may be quite interesting, and it would at least settle the question of what type of performance gains you'd expect from it.

Regards,

Paul Hansen

Everything this man said is the 100% truth. The new 2010+ LGT turbo layout is the optimum setup for the EJ engines. The further away you go from the engine's exhaust ports, the slower the exhaust velocity and temp, which hurts spool (another way of saying increasing lag).

Also, every turbo, from the time you start the engine til after you stop the engine, is spinning...VERY quickly.

I feel like someone is trying to sell you magical beans with this setup.

Finally (and I say this lovingly :lol:), what could you possibly get that's more boring than a 2.5i 4EAT to daily? I mean seriously, how could this ever be your "fun" car? You can drop 5k into it and it'll still get walked by a Kia Sportage turbo. :lol:

Keep the Legacy stock and build a turbo Miata or something. You could do that all for the cost of this universal turbo kit, the required tuning, and the unforeseen expenses.

Stoplight, you do have a point... What is the most I could get lets say I go avo... 210 to the wheels ? with like 7 psi ? what if I threw in new pistons that could handle more boost... Plain and simple I have never had any faster to be honest, before my 2.5 i had a 98 civic ex 2dr... no mods just my commuter car... you want to talk slow... that thing felt like it had maybe 95 whp haha so to me this car is quick. I really am not a racer... just want to enjoy what I have, that is why I have made a few mods suspension wise... we will see... I have always wanted one of these

1646150451_MiniClubmanbyACSchnitzer.jpg.e5ca34869df33afd9a70edf9cab7ffc6.jpg

Archived