LegacyGT.com

Is This Guy Crazy?

chemicalbreeze

Could frank_ster check it out? Then again he might suggest something crazy like a 3800 swap...

Or may be something real kool, a LS1 swap. It's about time someone put a corvette drivetrain under one of these. They do it to Volvo wagons.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

A friend of mine wanted to buy my dad's 1985 Volvo 240DL for that very purpose. We totally should have done it just so I could see that brick rock a V8.

Definitely worth having someone check that other wagon's condition. Nice that you have TWO options. :)

The wagon in Quebec is very interesting and pretty much rules out the Silver wagon. I will check it out and test drive it (I have never driven an LGT) and see if the guy is willing to budget on the price. Budget = thousands off... I have not idea if the French wagon is even still for sale, but it gives me hope that the right one will come to me, or I will have to go to it to get it.

Thanks a lot for the help and support, just makes the idea of owning an LGT that much more enticing, being apart of such a nice online community.

If you think were nice now wait until you become one of us. There are a few trolls around here the pick on each other.

Not me... LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I saw the car this weekend. It looks like it has 228,000 kms (dirty, mats warn, etc) but it drove really well. The 'new' clutch was very solid. I asked about maintenance, and I was told that the owner has a friend who did all the work, which has me concerned (from what I read, they need care) It seems like it was cared for, but not by a dealership (Does that matter? Do you go to a dealer or to a shop?)

Two areas of concern; the check engine light was on & the cruise control light was flashing. What does that mean?

It really sounded good on the test drive!

Before I do anything, I would like to take it to the local Subaru dealership to see what they say. Do you think they would give me a straight answer?

A quick search on here reveals that it may not be a major issue.

Disconnect the battery and drain any access power and the lights should go out...

No matter what, I will have someone look at it before I buy it.

Let me know if you have any experience with these and if it could be a warning of major issues!

The flashing cruise light is a extra warning the factory put in.

If the CEL is flashing, it's ok to drive the car, if the CEL is solid, have it fixed now.

I do all my own maintenance and keep the record in a little pocket note book. I have the dates and mileage if all 37 of my oil changes and other things done.

If the CEL is flashing, it's ok to drive the car, if the CEL is solid, have it fixed now.

I do all my own maintenance and keep the record in a little pocket note book. I have the dates and mileage if all 37 of my oil changes and other things done.

Max,

From what I read, it is FLASHING = DEATH & SOLID = OK TO DRIVE

The car had a a solid Check Engine Light.

• Mega Users

Regardless of flashing or not, find out what the hell the cel code is. It could be any number of problems!

Lack of dealer record of maintenance doesn't mean much. Some people keep up very well with maintenance but don't document it. The problem is that you really don't know.

Damn I knew it was one or the other.

Either way you want to get it fixed. This is from one of the many thousands of Chevy truck owners that drove for years with a CEL on. I even passed emmissions test once with a light out (I cleared the code) but it came back on a few miles later, I drove it for 2 more years before I replaced the cat.

Find out what the code is and we can help fix it.

find out what the code is. I remember getting CEL + flashing cruise just from gas tank cap not put on tight. That said, it may also be catalyc converter dying etc - that's what the codes are for.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Size wise is the Accord that much smaller ?

At 141,000 miles I don't think that's a bad price. Mine has 146,000 miles and runs great with the new vf52.

There are a few others here that have more miles and the car still runs great.

I would think 11,000 would be a fair price, it's not like you can offer him $9,000 or even 10,000.

The only thing you need to know is the maintenance history about oil changes and listen to the turbo.

I disagree, I just blue booked the car in U.S. dollars for my area (Seattle) and in "good" condition, the car's private party value is $7063 with 145k miles. However, KBB is often lower than the current market value, so I would maybe ad $1,000 to $2000 tops above that price. Also, since you are in Canada I am guessing you can ad another $1,000 to that price (not sure why, but from what I've seen cars are more expensive for some reason in Canada). If I were you, I would offer him no more than $9,000-10,000 and if that isn't enough to take the car I would look elsewhere. If there aren't any others in your area I would consider looking at least 500km away in every direction. If you can, be patient and wait for a better deal to pop up, it will save you a lot of money and hassle in the long run. And don't forget that you will be paying another $500-1,000 dollars on a brand new set of quality all season tires very soon after you purchase the car. Just for comparison, there is a very well optioned and well maintained 2005 Legacy GT Sedan 5mt in my area with 93,000 miles (~157k kil?) and the asking price is $12,500. Also, I just came across an ad for a 2006 Legacy GT Wagon with 100k miles (160k km) for $10,500. And finally, don't forget that an automatic or manual in that car should not affect the price either way very much (not saying you should go for a boring automatic, but don't let the seller use that as a reason to jack up the price). And as to whether the seller is crazy or not for asking 11,500 for that car, no he isn't at all. He is just trying to get as much out of a buyer as is realistically possible. As a possible buyer, you should be offering less than what he is asking in order to get the best deal as possible, say $9,000. If he wanted to meet you in the middle, at $10,250, that would actually be a fair price if he were to put on a set of four brand new tires.

Assuming he doesn't put on new tires, which he most likely will not do, cut that offer by $500-750 bucks so that you can afford to buy new ones.

Max,

Sorry but flashing CEL is bad, it indicates a misfire currently taking place or other potentially catastrophic problem. The constant CEL is usually an emission issue.

-mike

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg http://upload.pbase.com/image/137566671.jpg Call directly for your best Whiteline Price! | We also carry almost every manufacturer now, so before you buy parts call us.

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: paisan@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Direct Jobber

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

since you are in Canada I am guessing you can ad another $1,000 to that price (not sure why, but from what I've seen cars are more expensive for some reason in Canada). If I were you, I would offer him no more than $9,000-10,000 and if that isn't enough to take the car I would look elsewhere.

Eric, thanks for the great post! It is frustrating knowing that cars in the States are significantly cheaper, and for no known reason. My best guess is that there are a lot more people in America so there is a discount for buying in bulk which translates to everything being cheaper...

I did exactly that, I offered $10,000 and he didn't want to take it. He told me he wasn't in a rush to sell and would not take anything less. We discussed trading my vehicle and cash, but couldn't agree on pricing. He seemed like a chill guy and was pretty easy going.

Currently, I drive a 1992 Toyota Hilux with, get this, 228,000 kilometers, the same as the 2005 Subaru. I wanted $5,000 for it and would give him $10,000 for the Subaru. He didn't want to go for that. Here is what my truck looks like, when its clean.

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/sloanthebone/014.jpg

http://i721.photobucket.com/albums/ww216/sloanthebone/003.jpg

So it's back to the search.

Thanks to everyone for the great information.

Sorry to hear he did not take your offer for the car, but I am sure something even better, hopefully with lower mileage/kilometers, will come up in the near future. It will definitely pay off in the long run, even if you have to end up spending more on the car itself. I look forward to hearing what you end up getting when you finally do settle on a car. I am in nearly the same situation as you, as I just sold my car and am saving up for a nicer one.

he is crazy cuz i looked at that car too! im just outside Tdot ive been looking for a leggy and found better deals. Last week ther was an 08 with 89k's not miles lgt limited with the paddle shifters for 19000 in quebec black on black but its sold keep looking you will find a better deal. theres a huge price jump from ontario to everywhere else bc adds like 5g's and the states wow! i cant believe some of the prices

Food for thought:

Here in vancouver a 2005 LGT still sells for $15 - 18K if it has low mileage (anything under 110K Kilometers). This was a $39K car when new up here.

$11K is under usual value, but it has about double the clicks that other cars normally have in the same year.

Personally I'd pay more to get something with half the kilometers, but if the new buyer isn't going to pile the clicks on it going forward (or plans to drive it in to the ground over the next 5 years), it is a good price.

Vancouver used cars sell for more than anywhere else in the country though... because we have nice weather and we don't salt the roads in the winter.

If I was the OP, I'd wait until the next 2005 - 2006 LGT came along which will likely have more normal mileage on it and will likely be for sale in Quebec for maybe... 14K?

But it is true that the manual wagons are rare... they are hard to find in the States, and we have about 1/10th of the available used LGT stock to buy up here in Canada.

Red, I dont have $17K. Would you consider equal monthly payments? ;-)

Can you post some pictures of your car?

You should pile up some before buying! :)

This picture was taken before the install of my Bilstein struts. Also I now have installed a black front lip. Otherwise, the car is the same as that.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3849/20090718003.jpg

Archived