LegacyGT.com

engine sprung a leak. Pass side valve cover ?

FWIW, I found that if you replace the studs on the up pipe with good bolts from the dealer, the turbo is much easier to install with the oil return line on it.

Use anti-seize compound on the nuts and bolts.

Check this thread around post 138, you can see where I used bolts.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/got-some-new-stuff-engine-r-r-184106p5.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My leak is at the bottom of the valve cover or at the half moon, not the turbo oil feed or return lines. Very small leak, not showing up at all on the dipstick reading yet, just a little residue on the bottom of the valve cover.

Coincidentally, I read the bulk of your build thread a couple days ago. Good stuff.

Max, you have a part number for the passenger side valve cover gasket? Pretty easy repair?

Remove manifold, and coilpacks, remove valve cover and old gasket, then reinstall?

It's easy, but you've really over simplified it. Make sure you check out the vacation pics before you start. It is really easy to scratch your cams if you aren't careful.

I don't have the p/n but make sure the gasket comes with the half moons.

It doesn't. Flatirons Tuning sells a complete kit. http://www.flatironstuning.com/p-2033-subaru-valve-cover-gasket-re-seal-kit.aspx

Never seen that site. wow that's a impressive price on the oil cooler.

How much is one side gasket set from the dealer. Seems most of us have only the passenger side that leaks.

Why is that ? who's the slacker at the factory putting on that side valve cover?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Never seen that site. wow that's a impressive price on the oil cooler.

How much is one side gasket set from the dealer. Seems most of us have only the passenger side that leaks.

Why is that ? who's the slacker at the factory putting on that side valve cover?

I think it's more of a issue of being cooked by the up pipe for x amount of years.

It seems, through my searching, to happen around people removing the bulky factory UP, scratching the half moon or the somehow dinging the valve cover. I just recently replaced my factory UP, was a little forceful I will admit getting the OEM UP out...

• 3 weeks later...

Whats the best way to confirm this diagnosis without taking everything apart? Got a decent amount of smoke from under the hood today coming from the area under the turbo. Alot of oil dripping onto the up-pipe making the smoke. I was 1.5 qts low :(

It sucks being a sissy in an apt complex with no tools... I scheduled the dealer to look at it on Thursday.

lol

Pull off the under tray, and inspect along the bottom of the valve cover just above the exhaust manifold near the UP. You'll see the oil if it's there.

The work isn't hard from what I've gathered, but even with a garage and tools I might farm it out.

• 3 weeks later...
Passenger side = Left side?

I guess some people don't realize you always talk as if your in the drivers seat.

Not if you have a RHD car (which is the norm in Japan and the UK/Ireland).

Yea, but the rest of know those people always drive on the wrong side anyways...;)

Not if you have a RHD car (which is the norm in Japan and the UK/Ireland).

I'd suspect that any intelligent person could determine that the majority of people that post on this forum are in the US and hence saying passenger side is not ambiguous. But hey, maybe I'm wrong about intelligent people on this forum :lol:

lol

Archived