LegacyGT.com

engine sprung a leak. Pass side valve cover ?

I'd suspect that any intelligent person could determine that the majority of people that post on this forum are in the US and hence saying passenger side is not ambiguous. But hey, maybe I'm wrong about intelligent people on this forum :lol:

Be careful, some of us trolls may take offence to that....I think I'm intelligent to know what I'm doing...well last time I checked I think I did...check that is...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd suspect that any intelligent person could determine that the majority of people that post on this forum are in the US and hence saying passenger side is not ambiguous. But hey, maybe I'm wrong about intelligent people on this forum :lol:

There are some from NZ and Australia too that are checking in here now and then.

453747.png

so its been a few days since I have changed my passenger side valve cover gasket and there has yet to be any oil drops on the ground where normally I'd be getting a few drops every day. What I did notice is just a slight amount of oil building up on the bottom of the valve cover where it meets the engine. Do you think that's about as good as its going to get for sealing the thing? I've also heard that changing the PVC valve can reduce the pressure on seals so I'm planning on doing that but have know Idea if that's true or not.

• 2 months later...

Ok, I think I might tackle my weeping valve cover gasket today. And I'm due for spark plugs in 7k miles so its obviously a good time to do those too since I'll be in there. I'm guessing with the valve covers off I can get to the plugs much easier.

Is this a good idea or should I have the covers on when I remove/replace the plugs?

Ok, I think I might tackle my weeping valve cover gasket today. And I'm due for spark plugs in 7k miles so its obviously a good time to do those too since I'll be in there. I'm guessing with the valve covers off I can get to the plugs much easier.

Is this a good idea or should I have the covers on when I remove/replace the plugs?

Personally I'd have them on. You don't want to accidentally scratch a cam lobe.

• 3 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread as it helped me a lot. Add some pictures of what it looks like to have leaky valve cover (aka rocker cover as labeled in the vacation pics page 1713-1714).

Seems like a good time to replace the stock UP/DP/Turbo/Intercooler/spark plugs among other things :lol:

619830966_DriversSide.thumb.jpg.6abdc9e4c9d4773721f777887762d37a.jpg

903710727_Passengersside.thumb.jpg.6d954c1104a8ac3dce8ec6e4edc4f888.jpg

676393901_Passengersside2.thumb.jpg.bce4ffea513cdf6e11f1df9a95206607.jpg

Archived