LegacyGT.com

Checking Oil Level After Sitting Overnight?

On every car I had, I would always check the level after it was sitting overnight. Was told this was the most accurate way to check it cold. Do you all agree or am I running my car low or high with this method? I try to check it warm (after sitting 1hr or so) and I am getting various readings. Overnight is always the same.

If you can, pull the dipstick up at night, then check it in the morning.

This has been standard operating procedure for a long time.

I drive to work, open the hood pull the stick up about 2-3 inches and close the hood. After work wipe the stick then check the oil, top it off as needed.

With my 09 SpecB I find that sometimes I need to read the back of the dip stick.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Why pull the dipstick up?

Just remove it, wipe it, reinsert it, and check again.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

just so you don't have to wipe it ..

but yes i find the dipsticks to be fairly stupid ..

but look at both sides of it, and the lowest value wins.

also some machines i have seen have white paint or something white on it to be able to see the level a bit better.

also for the person up there engine oil is not meant to be checked while running.

unless you have a dry sump porche.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Sometimes on my Spec, the oil will be at an angle on the front side and level on the back side. Go figure...

I have also had a lawn tractor with a boxer style engine. Checking the in that is also a PITA.

The main thing is check it and top it off as needed.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

On mine if I don't leave it out overnight, even after wiping it there's usually an oil smudge down one or both sides. Seems like it holds oil in the tube if the dipstick is in there.

Leave it pulled out overnight and you get a nice clean reading, both sides. None of the problems where one side is a 1/4" difference than the other. ymmv

Leave it pulled out overnight and you get a nice clean reading, both sides. None of the problems where one side is a 1/4" difference than the other. ymmv

Hey I thought the liquid always seeks it own level. It amaze's me how one side of the stick can be different.

Stupid Subaru...

ifs different from one side to another because it goes in at a ~40 deg angle (from horizontal) so 1/4" of height difference of oil level = 1/2" on the stick

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I recently changed my oil and discovered exactly how much the level varies on the dipstick. I filled it perfectly and then when I went back to check before driving it a few days later, the level was way above the notch. I ended up emptying the filter to get the level down.

And still, when I check after it's been sitting, the level is still up higher than if I checked it an hour or two after driving it.

The dipstick on these cars doesn't actually protrude into the pan, it stays in the dipstick tube. The o-ring on the dipstick can seal well enough that when you push the tube in completely the increase in pressure can cause the oil in the tube to drop some, giving innacurate results. This is why some find thier checks to be much more consistent when they remove the o-ring from the dipstick. Personally I check in the morning and ltarget between the 'full' mark and hot full 'notch'.

Here is the FSM info FYI...

http://photos.killerbmotorsport.com/i.ashx?&mid=11428812&mt=Photo&standardsize=1600x1200

Archived