LegacyGT.com

Extreme dimensions body kit

ttgroove

I sent an e-mail to Extreme Dimensions if they make body kit for USDM Legacy. Below is their reply.

Thank you, for inquiring about our Extreme Dimensions product line. I am sorry, we currently do not offer the product you are requesting. However, we will consider producing it if there is a big enough demand. If you know anyone else interested in acquiring the same item we would be willing to work with you to try and put together a group buy if enough people show interest. If you have any further questions in regards to this email or any of our other products please feel free to e-mail or call us at 1-888-611-AERO. You can also visit us online at www.extremedimensions.com

I don't know what they mean by "big enough demand" but I wanna know if anyone is interested to join in. It will all depends on I am trying to get a feel for how many are out there.

I am thinking style like Gialla's

http://www.gialla.co.jp/gialla/index2.html

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would suggest that you send them a link to this LegacyGT.com forum. If they are truly sincere, it wouldn't take much time to realize that there is a market for LGT parts. Just look at the grass roots success of rbs parts. I don't want to steal there thunder (or sales), but I would expect a company like ED to make larger, more complex body kits.

I think there is demand for an LGT body kit in the US.

However, getting people to agree on a single style enough to generate enough demand for one kit.

Personally, I want one that looks like the K2 M5-look front bumper, larger JDM Spec B mesh grille, OB fender flares, and a corazon rear bumper, STi front and rear lip spoilers, and so on...

But that is just me, and other people want other things, which is the rub.

I hate to say this, because I like it so much, but the whole reason it is a well balanced design, is because it is a rip-off. It's a blatant rip off of BMW's new M5.

And while I don't like some of the bangle-ized bits of the new 5 series, the M5's front bumper cover is nice.

Granted the K2K2 proportions are adusted for the Legacy. I actually think the look goes better on the Legacy than on the 5-series, with the 6 sided grille, and the hood scoop, and the 6 sided detail of the lower intake, and the sculpted side intakes (that are begging for round fog lights)

A picture for a reminder:

http://www.k2k2.jp/img/earo/BP_earo/050123-01b.jpg

And the original:

http://www.fast-autos.net/bmw/e60m5.jpg

I want the mirrors, from the bimmer, too.

Wow thats funny - one of the few aftermarket bumper designs I like and its a rip! Even funnier is it DOES look better on the legacy than on the M5. It looks really natual on the Legacy

I personally am looking for either 2 things. 1 is a lower front lip OR a complete replacement of the front bumper that will keep the safety bar.

Front Lip Design:

- Greddy/Trust style

- FEED lip for the 2nd gen RX7 (attached pics)

- nothing too "hole-y". I don't need all the excessive inlets and whatnot

- no mesh please

- something that has a square-ish center opening for a future FMIC (skyline r34 style)

- if you want to go with a more "pronounced" front lip - something like the Amuse S2000

Bumper Replacement:

- search for the Mines Skyline; I think all it has is a front bumper. Very clean.

- my ideal height will be the current bumper + 1/2 the current clearance from floor to bottom of bumper; which will give a meaner stance (larger bumper) while giving the driver enough clearance to go over larger speedbumps, driveways and obstacles (snow, etc)

I guess everyone just attach pics of your idea and see who get's the best vote. Then we'll submit the winner to ED? Just an idea.

feedfcfrontlip.jpg.d293a19e34ae8a8f76ff7a624ac96d95.jpg

I didn't mean to confuse ED or step on any toes, but I asked them for some clarification and sent them a link to the k2k2 bumper as an example. Here is their reply:

"We will produce any bumper as long as you provide the original sample. So I need 1 complete kit or fb to begin production. We also need a minimum of 10 buyers per piece made. We can also custom any style front bumper onto a Subaru legacy. However, if we are to do the prototyping the minimum quantity will go up to 25. All our new fiberglass products are made of the high quality Duraflex material. A typical complete kit will run you between $650-800 depending on the size and intricacies of the part. Afterwards we would retail the kit above $1000 so the groupbuy members will definitely get a great deal. Right now we are preparing our SEMA projects so prototyping is slow. We would prefer you to provide us one sample of your finished product. It can very well be that original bumper you linked me to. I look forward to hearing from you."

I think we're talking $650-800 if we did a GB, here. By "kit", I don't know if we're talking front bumper, or sideskirts, rear, etc. too. Either way, we'd need to procure the sample. I think that the k2k2 bumper, unpainted would be $700-800, plus shipping. I don't know if ED's prototyping process would destroy the sample or not. I'd guess that if we arranged the GB with cash in hand, ED might foot the cost of the original and resell back to one of us, if undamaged.

In addition to the logisitics of a GB, the crux is not knowing what the final product would look like before committing to a group buy.

AWD, thanks for contacting ED. You got more info than I could. Great job.

K2K2 looks great, but we all are keeping bumper beams, right? Then in order to accomodate the beam, the bumper probably will not look as great as it is on JDM LGT. I think it will stick out too much. Also fog light modification will be involved and that will add more cost to installation.

That's why I was thinking just the front lip. Unless we all want side skirts and rear. Personally I think LGT looks great from side and rear untouched. It's just the front I am not too crazy about. It looks little too....say thin. I think another inch of body below stock front bumper will look great.

STI lip and what WRX_LGT is making is great, but I like little more meat.

I like almondcookies idea on submitting pics and vote. But we probably should decide what we are going for. Below are the choices (unless you want rear only or sides only or whatever....).

1. front lip or front half spoiler only (keeping stock bumper) $

2. front bumper replacement $$

3. whole body kit (front and rear bumper replacements, and sides) $$$

kit "usually" means 4 pieces. I know that on other cars, like my friend's corolla, the TRD kit is actually 7 pieces and not 4.

i can understand ED's response. they're gearing up for SEMA and takes a lot of time so having 10/25 people bug them about 1 bodykit versus potentially making ooohs and aaaahs and getting best show awards at SEMA... yea.

The possibility that the original will get damaged is probably 100%. All the "cool" body kits or lips or whatever is coming from japan, which only fits the JDM version. We'll need to have ED extend, cut, modify, and create bits and pieces so it'll fit on our car. After that, they'll take the JDM-modified-to-US original and dump into something. this will make a negative copy of it and then you can use that to mass produce positive copies. They'll pop it out and clean the edges and ship it.

I like the GIALLA CORZA front lip - but it will require a new front bumper since we don't have that design. For wishful thinking, I would get that bumper and the gialla front lip and tell ED to mold them both together into 1 complete part and then sell it.

if this GB for the k2k2 replica doesn't work out I might just tell paul from AVO to ge me one from Japan along with the bumper beams, etc. I don't really mind my fog lights not fitting or even using them if I get that bumper.

how about the ings one?

http://www.ings-net.com/products/Legacy/imgs/f.jpg

ings = Hot. This company makes some of the nicest kits out there for lots of different manufacturers. Have you seen the 350Z kit they make? It is almost as gorgeous as their GT wagon kit above.

Most of the JDM kits are really nice but it always come back to either cutting the bumper to make it fit or replacing the beams w/ the JDM parts. One way you are possibly compromising safety or jacking the the price up by at least $500 the other way. Neither of those i like at all...

If you guys are really serious on this I can talk to my partner and we will buy the bumper and modify it to fit the USDM Legacy. Take note that if the bumper is copied and not modified it will not fit the USDM Legacy because of the bumper beam.

This is the first time i've seen that Gialla page, dont know how to convert the yin but I'd assume the price would make me faint. Is the cost the problem or are you not able to get the items shipped over seas? Those kits are bada$$

YEN to USD is roughly 100:1 so if something costs 18500Y it's going to cost 185$

We'd have to talk to Paul or someone to ship it over here which will cost a little more.

I'm too am not feeling the K2 bumper. It's cool and all don't get me wrong, but i'm not feeling it.

It looks like too many requests and bumper beam naysayers to reach any consensus on even a 10+ GB. If someone has the time and resources to fabricate a composite prototype that satisfies all tastes w/o a beam change, they've got something.

IMHO, most of the styling kits out today, for many cars, are crap. If they aren't too busy or too notchy, they look like they were frankensteined on. That's why I like the k2k2 or even spec B. Some say boring, I say subdued and flowing with the shape of the remaining bodywork. I usually don't get too opinionated here, but leave the crap for the Civics and the Sunfires.

Good luck.

Archived