LegacyGT.com

Saving gas by disconectin AWD

kopke

First off I know this is not the right subform but I didn't finde anything better

Now I heard this from a guy I hardly know so I'm not puting any feit on this but hear it goes.

This dude was talking about MPG on some cars he had and was making a point that the AWD system on subarus was lovering the MPG by 10 to 20%. His Idea was to disconect the rear weals whit a fuse and by that save a hell of a lot og gas.

Now. In theary this can be done. But is it wise?

You can only do this on the 4-Speed automatic cars, it's meant for temporary use. I don't remember the reason why you shouldn't do it full time.

On my Volvo, you can literally remove the driveshaft, axles, and rear diff, and the car will give you a generous amount of gas mileage back. The subaru system is unfortunately not designed this way, but if you COULD remove the driveshaft, that would be where you would see the most gains as far as MPG because it would be less energy lost in spinning the rest of the drivetrain.

First off I know this is not the right subform but I didn't finde anything better

Now I heard this from a guy I hardly know so I'm not puting any feit on this but hear it goes.

This dude was talking about MPG on some cars he had and was making a point that the AWD system on subarus was lovering the MPG by 10 to 20%. His Idea was to disconect the rear weals whit a fuse and by that save a hell of a lot og gas.

Now. In theary this can be done. But is it wise?

1. Yes it can be done.

2. He is an idiot.

3. If you are/were that concerned with MPG you should have bought a 96 Toyota Tercel or a 3cyl Geo Metro.

4. Enjoy your Subaru and NEVER make a post pertaining to this topic EVER AGAIN :lol:

5. An auto N/A Subaru is fairly close to a FWD the way it distributes power btwn the front and rear axles

why didnt you just buy a civic if youre so concerned about mpg

1. Yes it can be done.

2. He is an idiot.

3. If you are/were that concerned with MPG you should have bought a 96 Toyota Tercel or a 3cyl Geo Metro.

4. Enjoy your Subaru and NEVER make a post pertaining to this topic EVER AGAIN :lol:

5. An auto N/A Subaru is fairly close to a FWD the way it distributes power btwn the front and rear axles

Some of you can be some real assholes sometimes. It is a legitimate question. With your way of thinking, you never ask questions and go around with your head stuck in the sand and claim "ignorance is bliss".

There are times when it would be nice to increase MPG and AWD drive is hardly ever used. Day to day driving with AWD is a waste. Let's face it...not like we use our Subaru cars for AWD action all that often. However, some really need it and cannot just go out and buy a Metro/Tercel/Civic, etc. instead.

While true, it's not a good idea. I believe the owners manual says the fuse insert AWD deactivation is for towing purposes only (I believe). But I don't think you should have been treated as such for the question.

I'm sure if you want to talk more about MPGs there may be some other threads already on the forum to check out.

Some of you can be some real assholes sometimes. It is a legitimate question. With your way of thinking, you never ask questions and go around with your head stuck in the sand and claim "ignorance is bliss".

WERD.......Seems like the mode of operation around here. People, newbies, low post count members cannot simply ask questions without being mocked at, flamed, or made to look stupid.

Posters' should be treated that way based on their responses to peoples suggestions or comments; not for a mere question or inquiry.

Fran_ster is going to be doing it, check the more recent activity in this thread:

i'm suprised not more people are interested i nthe rwd/4wd conversion. i think it would be a very good upgrade. can play with the rwd guys in parking lots and such :)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my-subaru-beat-buick-heart-140053.html?p=3550395#post3550395

Then again he put a Buick Grand National Engine in a Gen 4 Legacy.

You think the dozen questions I answer daily about UEL headers on 06+ 2.5i's are all boiler plate polite responses ??

Here is a tip lighten up don't be so serious or an asshole you asshole :lol::rolleyes::);):)

*that is not a serious response it is comical

To the OP refer to number 5 and the other various responses that don't fall into the asshole category.

Someone talkt about that Posters' should be treated that way based on their responses so i'll try to responde properly

Fyrst off to thoes who sugest that I shud get a chivic. I, unlike most of you have to drive on a gravel rode several times every year. Abaout 80 miles total a trip.

Second. MPG's IS a big topic to all who drive alot. And maby it has to be takin in consern that wher I live in bloddy Iceland the gas prise is littel difrent then in V8 land. By rusty colculation the prise per liter is 116 Isk ( yust about a dollar) in the U.S. but the gas prise in Iceland is 235 Isk. Yes we are talking dubbel the prise. Remember that the next time you are ranting about gas prise. And yust to be clear, Iceland is not somewher deap in Asia/Africa (dooo about africa, hens the name of the place)

http://mapsof.net/map/where-is-iceland-located

Third. Thanks to TheWeatherWarrio and some ohterer fore a proper, helpfull responde.

Chears from 66°North 21°W

WERD.......Seems like the mode of operation around here. People, newbies, low post count members cannot simply ask questions without being mocked at, flamed, or made to look stupid.

Posters' should be treated that way based on their responses to peoples suggestions or comments; not for a mere question or inquiry.

Lighten up, son. That's like saying that people should only be kicked out of bars for the way they act when they get drunk, not if they take two steps in the door and piss on the floor. Not once was I ever mocked, ridiculed, or anything along those lines. Want to know why? Because I followed simple forum etiquette. And when things did get a little rough, I didn't get butthurt over it. Forum n00bs will always underestimate the value of spending a week reading and searching, and then finally posting. You know how many threads I could have opened but I decided to search instead?

Boom!

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/awd-disengage-127731.html?t=127731&highlight=AWD

The biggest thing is changing your driving habit, I average 28mpg hwy in the 5speed automatic and not driving like a grandma, my friend averages 29+mpg in his 07 FJ (hwy) driving like a grandma and drafting trucks the whole time. Big deal is to keep the rpms low

As to the WeatherWarrior saying the awd is hardly used, I'm one of the few who do use it daily. I live in the desert, I use the awd for cornering (when safe, compared to fwd/rwd cars), I feel so much safer in the rain in my awd, and driving in dirt roads when it rained

btw: feeling safer in rain is true: my fwd car spins its tires very easily when making right turns from stop at traffic lights, and my rwd car feels like the back wants to kick out while making turns. and both cars have tires that are not worn very much

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

If MPG's are the most important thing to you, than the Legacy is not the right car. Plain and simple.

That said, if you absolutely need to improve the economy of your car, just make sure it's in good repair and keep your foot light. It might even be advantageous to buy a 5-speed car, since they do tend to net higher economy. There are a few people here who can pussy-foot to 30mpg.

Regarding disconnecting AWD. If you have a 4EAT, it's possible but ill advised. Putting the fuse in doesn't improve fuel economy, though. You'd have to put in the fuse, remove the driveshaft/axles/rear diff, and then plug the hole in the rear of the transmission. You'd get, if you were lucky, a couple percent increase.

I actually owned a FWD Legacy (a 1995). Even with a light foot, it didn't get good fuel economy. Something in the mid 20's, and about the same economy I got with my AWD Subarus.

Use good quality, synthetic lubricants. Make sure the car is clean, and the driveshaft and universal joints are in good working order. Lowering the suspension, if your commute permits, will improve economy some marginal degree as well. Keep fresh and clean plugs in the car, and keep a clean air filter. Removing exhaust restrictions can help fuel economy as well, if you can keep your foot out of the gas.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^^ Good one! Within reason, of course, but that's a good addition. Too much, and you'll make yourself more prone to tire failure and excessive tire wear.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Ive found if I dont drive my car at all, I get infinity gas mileage. I'd like to see you do that with a Civic.

My friend drives a SpecB and has never had to fill his gas tank, apparently it's self filling. It also toggles FWD/RWD/AWD automatically depending on his mood.

If I pass you on the right, I'm flipping you off.

Archived