LegacyGT.com

Matte Black stock LGT wheels

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
alright getting back to pding the wheels. So i believe that the stuff will hold up to the weather, and i know how easy it is to use because i just did my headlights, but what about when it comes time to get my summer tires put on? is the tire machine going to tear the hell out of the edges and force me to repaint?

P'dipped my 06 spec b rims to use w/existing winter Dunlops on my 05 LGT wagon. One wheel is having some minor bends repaired sans tire, so I'll report on the progress with mounting and how they hold up during the rigorous winter we are sure to endure in upstate NY.

• 2 weeks later...
tj- is that plasti-dip still holding up pretty good after a couple months? also does that front chrome grill pull out easy, I don't want to break mine haha...and one last ? I can't tell if those are stock headlights or if you just got them tinted? if they're not stock, what kind and where'd you get them? thanks, and you're whip looks SICK dude! props.

tj- is that plasti-dip still holding up pretty good after a couple months? also does that front chrome grill pull out easy, I don't want to break mine haha...and one last ? I can't tell if those are stock headlights or if you just got them tinted? if they're not stock, what kind and where'd you get them? thanks, and you're whip looks SICK dude! props.

I believe he just took the reflector out of the headlight and painted the insides black, perhaps plasti dip like i did!

I did the fog light trim, grill and hood scoop trim.

The stuff wears very well. It hasn't been much over 80 degrees since I did it, but it has been cold rainy and snowy and it's worn perfectly. It's been about 4 months on the grill and fog light trim. I did the hood scoop last weekend.

Far as getting the grill out. It's pretty easy. 2 screws, 4 clips and a few plastic trim "pop" clips (I can't think of what these are called).

After you remove the plastic "pop" clips and screws, just remember the grill slides out forward after you 4 clips. Don't pull up slide towards you.

One other tip. Don't paint all in one coat. don't put enough on that it runs. The first coat should look like shit and barely cover. Go for 4 coats.

Remember it will look wet and textured when you put it on, but when it dries it will even out and look great.

I read through the posts and I might have missed it. But when painting the rims did you leave the tire on?

Pretty sure you can just put masking tape over the tire so you don't get overspray on it...btw i also saw a guy on youtube who didn't do that and just wiped the overspray off with a dry towel after it dried (it came right off)

I read through the posts and I might have missed it. But when painting the rims did you leave the tire on?

EDIT: Thanks mill... I misread the question, apologies, please skip the italics....

I haven't painted mine yet, but I know the answer without even looking. You probably could but why would you want to? Laying the tire down on the ground ensures that any accidental drippage will head toward the side of the rim you can't see, not to mention that all you have to mask is the tire and not the rotor caliper and lug nuts which would be a real pain in the ass, probably more of a pain then just taking the tire off....

If you want to make taking the tire off a lot easier, go to Sears and get a small ~$30 floor jack with jack stands (screw the jack and lug wrench that comes with the car). This one is $44 but I'm telling you you can get it for less http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00950140000P?prdNo=7&blockNo=7&blockType=G7. Then go to Wal Mart and get a 2' extendable lug wrench.

Yes, take the tire off :D

The actual answer is......

Read the thread you'll find a pic of a guy who bought a few decks of playing cards (dollar store?) and slid the cards between the rim and the tire all the way around the wheel. Then it's just an easy mask with newspaper after that. so the anser this time is, no you don't have to take the tire off.

I think Cyclozene is asking are you removing the tire from the wheel.

Yes, I have seen the playing card put around the rim but i cant tell if the tire is left on, it looks like it was as there is no other way for the cards to stay there. I just dont have any easy way to take the tire on and off.

And ya i was planning on taking wheel off the car haha :)

Yes, I have seen the playing card put around the rim but i cant tell if the tire is left on, it looks like it was as there is no other way for the cards to stay there. I just dont have any easy way to take the tire on and off.

The tire is still on and you just slide it between the rim and the tire.

Archived