LegacyGT.com

TOB whine growing - anyone else have this experience

JoeFromPA

Ok, my LGT now has 67k miles and is 3 years 6 months old. Since 20k, it's had a slight whine when the car was very cold (winter time), or it had rained heavily, and the clutch pedal was depressed after start-up. It's go away usually within 3 full shifts.

That sound has mostly stayed the same up to 50k miles. It became more common even when the car wasn't 20 degrees, or when it hadn't rained, but it would still go away within .25 mile of driving. Or rapidly diminish to the point where you'd need to strain to hear it.

This weekend, I replaced my endlinks over the course of 2 days. I was listening closely to the sounds the car made driving out of my driveway and around the neighborhood.

I realized that whenever I had the clutch pedal depressed, or partially depressed, I was getting TOB whine - even after several minutes of driving and the car nearly at operating temp.

It dissipates but it's there for many minutes. And when I first drove it, it sounds almost like a out-of-balance dremel would - steady speed, slightly wobbly errrrrrr noise.

I'm getting a bit concerned at this stage. I obviously have no idea what type of damage is being done - is it a light grooving in the TOB or is my quill getting shredded. The clutch feels fine, shifting is light and easy, gear engagement feels great. It's only audible.

Has anyone else experienced this type of degradation and, if so, what was the result?

I'm considering a pro-active clutch and TOB replacement (with the TSK3, simply because the Subaru bearing is obviously flawed). An OEM clutch + TSK3 might run me $350-400 - installation probably another $400. That's not bad if I stretch it to 75k miles for piece of mind + a new clutch + a good TOB bearing.

Thanks all for any advice or insight.

Did you gents experience noises like I'm describing?

I'm curious because I've seen people on here who had catastrophic failed TOB bearings and claimed no symptoms/noise leading up to it. Others had noise from almost new that never went away, but everything was fine. At least, this is what I'm remembering.

Did you gents experience noises like I'm describing?

I had a whirring (bearing noise) at start up when cold. Cycled my lights on and off, no change, cycled AC on and off, no change, turned wheel left and right no change. Pressed clutch pedal in and it went away. Also made noise when shifting when cold.

I saw the guys thread about his 5MT grenading, and freaked out and bought the TSK3 kit with my new clutch and FW. It's my DD and I can't afford long down time/uber expensive repairs.

No cold whirring now, definitely relieved.

I get a little whirr when cold.

Like BigTDogg, I'm just going to do the TSK3 with a new clutch and flywheel. If I'm going to pull the trans, I might as well replace the clutch.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Good to know underdog. Thanks. I'm looking at the same setup as yours except with the OEM clutch (I find I actually like the OEM clutch. And it's ALOT less expensive than an ACT clutch on a setup that'll never go above 250 WHP and 300 lb/ft of torque).

Forgot to mention, had a Subaru dealership drive the car at ~50-55k (while still in warranty). A forum member on here and a good guy. He couldn't detect the noise, but I had also just driven the car to the dealership...

I doubt I could get a good will on it, but it might be worth a try to see if Subaru would cover some of it...

FWIW, mine still makes this sound (matches you description, except for the "wobbly" part) after a ACT clutch + WRX FW + TSK kit. I have 20,000 miles on this setup and it has always done it when cold, just like with the stock setup.

+1. Same exact setup. Mine didn't do it initially but started doing it around 10K miles in when it's cool out (<55F outside) and the car is cold too. Since the noise started, I've driven it another 8K miles or so and it's still there.

I suppose it's possible that that TOB bearing that came with my TSK3 went bad in under 20K miles but it doesn't seem likely. Besides, the sleeve's on there, I'm not too worried about things getting shredded.

If I was Joe, though, I'd definitely do the TSK3.

Good to know underdog. Thanks. I'm looking at the same setup as yours except with the OEM clutch (I find I actually like the OEM clutch. And it's ALOT less expensive than an ACT clutch on a setup that'll never go above 250 WHP and 300 lb/ft of torque).

If I could do it again I would probably go the OEM route, for my particular needs.

Yeah I have a stock LGT clutch pack in my 2.5i now and I like it alot. While It probably would have worked with the stock 2.5i fork I went ahead and swapped fork, the flywheel was the same.

When i go back in this time its LGT stock clutch pack + TSK3

• 2 weeks later...
Good lord....Really don't want to drop $1000 right now....

$1000 for labor seems pretty excessive. That is just under about what we charge with parts. That TOB whine is something to be up on though. We've seen a few Legacys come in with the bearing destroyed. Luckily they've never had any damage to the housing or shaft. Let us know if you need help with anything. Even if we can help you get the cost down on parts just give us a call or email.

-Jake

http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/91072632.jpg http://www.pbase.com/paisan/image/133406601.jpg

AIM: AZP Installs | E-mail: sales@azpinstalls.com | 725 Fairfield Ave | Kenilworth, NJ 07033 | 908.248.AZP1 (2971) | T-1 Certified Amsoil Dealer

"Race Tested, Enthusiast Approved!"

I think I'm having the same issues. On a cold start, there is a little whine/whirr with the clutch pedal depressed. However, the clutch is not slipping at all. I had a shop check it out and they said it's fine for the time being.

What's the consensus here- replace ASAP? I definitely don't want to grenade the transmission. Thanks.

Archived