LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace Installation Walkthrough

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks SBT for the “how-to” it really did help me out a bit!

It is pretty strait forward installation, but time consuming! A trick that I used in the past that I used to install this MCB is using a bit of tape to hold the screw in the socket. This was very useful to prevent the screw from falling out!

Also, I used this special swivel head ratchet, and I was able to do all the installation, with the following:

1x 3in extension

1x 1in extension

1x 6in extension

1x 10mm socket

1x 15mm key

5mm allen key

This is the special ratchet I used, its great since the head doesn’t need to be in 90deg, but on an angle, and this was perfect for the install!

http://www.princessauto.com/workshop/hand-tools/driving-tools/ratchets/8311607-3/8-dr-swivel-head-quick-release-ratchet

Now, I have 2 small spacers/washers left, where do these go? Also, what happens if you tighten the pressure cup a bit more than what the manual says? Let’s say 2-3full turns after its snug against the master cylinder instead of 1-1.5turns?

Looking forward to the test drive, didn’t really take it out for a spin yet!

JP

• 2 weeks later...
I would not do this, unless you like false-positive knock. The less loose/rattly crap near the engine the better.

I did what Will had mentioned in the first page which came out nice and tight:

Thanks for the excellent writeup! Just thought I'd chime in here to say that mounting the brace to the front of the MCB is an option for those that would prefer not to modify their OEM brace. Our installation instructions will also mention that you're free to remove the bracket all-together and use a ziptie to secure the wiring harness (as is done on some of our other models).

Matt

Engineering

• 3 months later...

Here's the 05-07 non-VCD MBC Brace installed on my 08 LGT Limited:

LGT-GS-MCB.jpg

Due to this, you can now also add me to the list of people with an 08+ non VDC leggy who have the 05-07 MCB installed. Thanks for the heads up Hicksta13!

08 NBP Legacy GT BNR16G E85

13 WRB WRX. TBE & Tune

07 FXT Sports. Stock :lol:

What a well-written install guide. Kudos to SBT!

Now a question...anyone know if the Grimmspeed brace for the '05 LGT would fit on a car with the STi Booster and M/C swap? Gonna be swapping in an '06 STi Booster and M/C soon and was wondering for future planning purposes (as part of my planned Brembo upgrade/overhaul) if the GS brace will still work. Has anyone tried it yet with the STi Booster/MC swap?

What a well-written install guide. Kudos to SBT!

Now a question...anyone know if the Grimmspeed brace for the '05 LGT would fit on a car with the STi Booster and M/C swap? Gonna be swapping in an '06 STi Booster and M/C soon and was wondering for future planning purposes (as part of my planned Brembo upgrade/overhaul) if the GS brace will still work. Has anyone tried it yet with the STi Booster/MC swap?

I'm sure if the MC sits in a similar location it will work since the brace has some adjustability but we haven't been able to test this so i can't say for sure.

Mike

I'm sure if the MC sits in a similar location it will work since the brace has some adjustability but we haven't been able to test this so i can't say for sure.

Thanks, Mike...well, when I do the STi M/C and Booster swap i'll definitely be taking a bunch of pics and will probably write a DIY Walkthrough thread of the process. Will be sure to take measurements of the LGT M/C location versus the location of the new STi M/C. That should give a better idea if it'd work. Was hoping to actually do the install this weekend at work using one of my extra bays, but unfortunately i'm still missing an STi Brake reservoir (my eBay STi M/C and Booster didn't come with one:(). Not sure if the reservoir from the LGT will fit onto the STi M/C. I looked them both up on OpposedForces and the part numbers are different, but maybe they;re still interchangeable? It's port dimensions look pretty close, but no way to know for sure without actually trying to fit it. I'd hate to take everything apart only to find out the reservoir doesn't fit...

Anyway, i'll update my findings and measurements whenever I get it done...

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you for putting together this walkthrough -- it was really helpful. I installed the GS MCB on my 05 -- it really changed the braking dramatically. I used this walkthrough and neglected to look at the GS's installation PDF (frankly, I couldn't find it on GS's website for awhile -- didn't real the red text was a link to the installation PDF). After finding the GS MCB installation PDF, it was helpful to fill in the dots that were missing in this walkthrough.

Couple notes:

(1) This walkthrough never states that the MCB replaces the fuel line bracket (the GS MCB install PDF does), which may be confusing if you watch the GS MCB install video for a WRX on youtube (within which, I think, the MCB doesn't replace fuel line bracket, and instead, works in conjunction with it).

(2) One of the bolts welded to the MCB (for connection to the rubber grommet fuel line harness bracket thing) was messed up (or I messed it up) -- it wound't take a bolt. Didn't have a tap for that size, so I drilled it out and used a nut underneath the MCB to secure the bolt.

(3) All the holes lined up great, although the first time I installed it, I neglected to install the two (short) bolts closest to the firewall (in part, because this walkthrough wasn't really clear about if/when those bolts are installed). Of course, after I realized this, I loosened up the long bolts through the MCB and the wire bracket, and wiggled the bracket until it lined up with the two short bolts closest to the firewall, and installed them.

(4) I only used one of the two spacers -- the fuel line harness bracket thing lined up the best (e.g., avoided the most contact) when only using one spacer on one bolt.

• 7 months later...
Thank you for putting together this walkthrough -- it was really helpful. I installed the GS MCB on my 05 -- it really changed the braking dramatically. I used this walkthrough and neglected to look at the GS's installation PDF (frankly, I couldn't find it on GS's website for awhile -- didn't real the red text was a link to the installation PDF). After finding the GS MCB installation PDF, it was helpful to fill in the dots that were missing in this walkthrough.

Couple notes:

(1) This walkthrough never states that the MCB replaces the fuel line bracket (the GS MCB install PDF does), which may be confusing if you watch the GS MCB install video for a WRX on youtube (within which, I think, the MCB doesn't replace fuel line bracket, and instead, works in conjunction with it).

(2) One of the bolts welded to the MCB (for connection to the rubber grommet fuel line harness bracket thing) was messed up (or I messed it up) -- it wound't take a bolt. Didn't have a tap for that size, so I drilled it out and used a nut underneath the MCB to secure the bolt.

(3) All the holes lined up great, although the first time I installed it, I neglected to install the two (short) bolts closest to the firewall (in part, because this walkthrough wasn't really clear about if/when those bolts are installed). Of course, after I realized this, I loosened up the long bolts through the MCB and the wire bracket, and wiggled the bracket until it lined up with the two short bolts closest to the firewall, and installed them.

(4) I only used one of the two spacers -- the fuel line harness bracket thing lined up the best (e.g., avoided the most contact) when only using one spacer on one bolt.

That happened to me too, I don't think you messed it up.

Mine was the one closest to the firewall/strut tower. :spin:

However, after the install, I didn't notice any improvements, maybe a tad which is kind of disappointing :(

I made sure the bolt the cup attaches to was turned 1.5 turns to really fit snug up against the master cylinder. Every bolt is super tight so not sure why I didn't feel the same improvements as everyone else in this thread.. sigh.

If your brake fluid is old or you have air in your lines, it's possible that the majority of mushiness you're feeling is from that, not the firewall flex.

My brake fluid was in good condition so the pedal was decently firm and this just made it firmer.

Ah yes, that would make sense! I'm not sure how old the brake fluid is to be honest.. I'm replacing the lines with Techna Fit braided lines, and putting in some ATE!

That should fix it right up then!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived