LegacyGT.com

GrimmSpeed Master Cylinder Brace Installation Walkthrough

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think there's a lot of movement where parts and pieces in that general area are concerned, vertically or horizontally, as the fuel lines are on the same plane as they were previously with no bend (up or down, in or out) to indicate that anything has changed post-install. WRT passing right in front of the MC, perhaps the proper BFH application at the right spot might get you the clearance you need...or possibly repositioning (tilting) the FMIC cold-side pipe up a bit to clear...:confused:
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Just installed one on an '11 wrx last weekend, it fit well- just one issue- the decending brake line is right ontop of the 3 strut tower holes I needed to put the short screws in. Took some tugging and pulling to fit them in. :mad: Other than that, when pushing the pedal hard, no movement in the master cyl or brace is seen. I didnt drive it though, owner is picking it up tomorrow.

Just installed one on an '11 wrx last weekend, it fit well- just one issue- the decending brake line is right ontop of the 3 strut tower holes I needed to put the short screws in.

For some reason I can't visualize the descending brake line...

Got it - vertically in front of the "short-bolt" holes - yeah, that would be a pain to work around. Don't know why I was visualizing the three strut tower top bolts themselves...doh!

Doh, I've been busy lately, no time to make a before/after video, will try to get one up in the next few weeks with the cup loosened/slackened to show the movement without the brace, and then the cup tightened down to show movement, or rather lack of it.

Here's a before video:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qpMujB1JHc]05 LGT MBC Movement.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Afterwards:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN7Ddo0xIuI]05 LGT Grimmspeed MBC Brace.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

I had a chance to install the brace this weekend, and I just want to point out a couple of observations from my experience...

The OEM cable brace flattens out pretty easily behind the MCB by simply tightening the bolts. The little added pressure conforms the cable brace to the contours of the MCB.

HOWEVER-- re-mounting the OEM cable brace behind the MCB does move the red cup off center, no matter how flat the cable brace. Without the OEM cable brace, the red cup is centered.

I initially mounted the MCB without the OEM cable brace but decided to reinstall it-- on a whim of foolish curiosity-- just to see how much of a difference it would make. It's definitely noticeable, and I prefer the red cup centered, so it'll be coming back off soon.

On a possibly related note, I'm noticing some occasional brake pedal vibration while at stops after installing the MCB.

Otherwise, the product seems great! It provides a very welcome, yet subtle, difference in brake feel. I definitely recommend it.

My friend installed the brace on my NON-VDC 08 LGT LIMITED on Saturday, and it fits!!! I'll toss up some pictures when he sends them to me, but he did confirm that the '05-07' version fits my non-VDC 08 :D.

Awesome!

But wait, does that mean no group buy for us? :confused:

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

How do you have a non-VDC 08 LGT?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How do you have a non-VDC 08 LGT?

I have a smaller MBC, and no VDC button on the dimmer cluster. On top of all that I test fitted a 08+ WRX GS MBC brace because GS realized it fits LGTs with VDC, and it did NOT fit mine. My friend is going to email me some pictures of the install later on so I'll post them when I get them.

Awesome!

But wait, does that mean no group buy for us? :confused:

Not sure, and I emailed GS to let them know about the fitment. Hopefully they don't get mad that I let the cat out of the bag, but I know how much excitement there is about this product so I wanted to let everyone know :D

Strange. I thought VDC was standard on all 08+ cars.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived