LegacyGT.com

5MT LGT Wagons - how rare?

Just how rare are the LGT Wagons with manual transmissions? Kelly blue book says I should be able to get one for around $11k, but I haven't seen a single one for sale within 200 miles of me in the last couple weeks. I don't know as I am ready to buy right now, but I should be in the next couple months. How long will it take me to find one? I'm not really picky on anything, so any color will be fine, and most any options combination. I do want it unmodified though. If I want it by winter, am I going to have to give up and buy an auto or a sedan, or should I be able to find something with 2-3 months of searching?

Very rare. Good luck with that.

You may have better luck looking for a OBXT or even a Forester XT. IIRC, you can take a '04 (and maybe '05) FXT and drop a VF39, STI intercooler and ECU directly into it for 300 hp....basicly the same motor.

Back in 2005, I said I would drive mine until it dropped. I wasn't kidding. Over the years, there are a few distinctive cars that the engineers pretty much get right for the enthusiast.

The 84 VW GTI also comes to mind.:)

I should have bought two, and put one into a plastic bag. They are that good!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I think the number on the road was 1446. There is a thread in here http://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/subaru-news-rumors-58.html

That has the numbers listed.

Mine is 1 of 108 made.

You may be able to find one in Canada.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Well, since I have my turbo-miata for autocross and most of my summer driving, and I'll mostly be using the subaru for winter trips to the ski mountain, maybe the OBXT would fit my needs better than the LGT anyway. I'm no stranger to making cars fit my needs with a little modification anyway.

^Bad advice, if you DID want a modified car, don't go STI IC.

Unmodified within 200 miles of you in the next 2-3 months for 11k?

NO.

I got super lucky with mine :lol:. Totalled the Corolla, searched the next day on Autotrader, found one 1 hour away for $12K. Score.

From the production numbers thread, I have one of

99......ABP.....2005 Legacy GT wagon MT Ltd (tan)

It is *not* for sale. :p

Fyi Skidude ... I have been stuck in the snow in this car (in Maine, no less) and it was pretty much a clearance issue. I've got a buddy that's got a place near Sunday River that has a super long driveway. When we arrived on a Friday evening, there was about 2 inches of snow on the driveway. In the morning when we woke up, there was probably 6-8 inches of snow on the ground (about the level of the foglights on the car iirc) and his place is last on his guy's plow route. Long story short, I could move it around a little bit in the drive with some shoveling, but there was no getting it up a slight incline and out into the street. We didn't make it to the mountain until about noon. My buddy still likes to remind me about how sure he is that his AWD Honda Pilot would have made it no problem. I'd have been willing to bet an Outback could have made it where the LGT failed.

That said, this is the only time I have ever been stuck in this car after half a dozen years of living in MA and regular weekend trips to Maine (call it more than 100 total). I have never been stuck in parking lots even after all day snow when there have been other FWD vehicles having a lot of trouble. The LGT is still a very capable AWD vehicle. It is just slightly less capable than the OB due to the clearance difference. Of course, The opportunities where an OB would make it while an LGT would fail are probably pretty few and far between and, imo, the benefits of the LGT over the OB far outweigh those rare situations. But that's just my own opinion. YMMV. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I feel extremely lucky, not knowing how rare these cars are, I just picked mine up a week ago with 99k, completely stock, and the timing belt kit, rear bearings, brakes, and new tires were just done by the dealer prior to selling it to me.

i would have bought a wagon when i got mine as well but finding a manual is impossible. finding my SWP manual sedan was a needle in a hay stack as it was now i know why.

198.....SWP.....2005 Legacy GT sedan MT Ltd (tan)

i know others out there have rarer trims. but i also needed mine asap i was with out a car and only had a week to find and purchase a vehicle. if i had longer i would have looked for black interior.

From the production numbers thread, I have one of

99......ABP.....2005 Legacy GT wagon MT Ltd (tan)

It is *not* for sale. :p

Ditto! :D

AFAIK, there's only one other 5MT in my area (which I tried to buy first), and I only know of 2 automatics.

Good Luck!

Well, since I have my turbo-miata for autocross and most of my summer driving, and I'll mostly be using the subaru for winter trips to the ski mountain, maybe the OBXT would fit my needs better than the LGT anyway. I'm no stranger to making cars fit my needs with a little modification anyway.

Check out this FXT...? Keep in mind they share most parts with the 02-07 impreza.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=71753158&listingRecNum=0&criteria=sf1Dir%3DASC%26mkId%3D20041%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D21165%26rd%3D100000%26crSrtFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId-yrId-trId-transTypeId%26zc%3D01460%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-3%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DDESC%26sf1Nm%3Dlocation%26yrId%3D20145%26yrId%3D20200%26yrId%3D20144%26yrId%3D20199%26yrId%3D20143%26sf2Nm%3Dprice%26isDealerGrouping%3Dfalse%26transTypeId%3D28112%26trId%3D22607%26trId%3D22609%26trId%3D25442%26rpp%3D50%26feedSegId%3D28705&aff=national

Good luck in finding one man. Took me a year to find 1 auto and 1 manual. The manual was in detroit and I was going to look at it. Called said they had it. 2 hrs later get ready to go call again just to verify and it was gone. On their lot for a total of 4 hours. Next one was right near me. Thankfully it stuck around for a few days. Was able to look at it and took it home that night. Don't regret buying the automatic since I rarely see these cars in general. Have yet to see another manual pop up for sale.

So... hypothetical question... I am thinking of selling my 2005 LGT manual wagon. A year ago we traded my Acura RSX Type S for a Mazda CX-9 and I took over driving the wagon from my wife. It's a great wagon and has 86,000 miles on it. But we don't really 'need' it anymore as the CX-9 takes care of all our utility. I am thinking of picking up a 2011 WRX. I miss a small(er) car and I love the subbie AWD so I think the WRX would do it for me.

I'm in Colorado where used Subaru prices tend to be strong. The wagon is perfect mechanically... even got a blackstone oil report at 85,000 and they said it looked great. Got some paint chips in the driver side rear quarter panel.. but it's not too bad. Wondering what I should ask? This is VERY preliminary... I haven't even driven a WRX yet. Sorry if this derails the thread.. but I thought it was an appropriate place to pose this question.

Archived