LegacyGT.com

Extreme interior cleaning

The secret is to let the cleaner soak. I'll tell you, the very best cleaner for upholstery that I've ever used is the Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery cleaner. That stuff is insanely powerful stuff. I've got a few bottles of it. Send me your address in a PM and I'll send you one of my half empty ones and you can give it a shot. I think you'll be impressed the difference the right type of cleaner makes. I don't have to use it very often, but it is the 'big gun' I break out when things like Tuff Stuff doesn't work.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very nice offer indeed.

My action plan (stuff on the way):

- Use Meguiars APC+ to clean the interior trim pieces (probably 10:1). I will also try this on the headliner though I might just use Tuff Stuff on that.

- Use Leatherique rejuvenator and cleaner (seemed like a unique product with good reviews), kinda pricey

- Use Wolfgang cleaner and conditioner on the leather from here on out to treat the leather. I might try poorboy's leather stuff first since its cheap, and if I am satisfied enough just stick with that.

I might also post pictures before and after in this thread if OP does not care... as I will also be doing "extreme interior cleaning".

That sounds like a good plan. You'll definitely have enough to be able to tell what works best. Feel free to post your results in this thread, but I'd wager you'll have enough information that it would warrant a thread all to itself. I'd love to know what your thoughts are on your different cleaning products you try turns out to be.

Oh, and a tip on doing anything to the headliner... Spray whatever cleaner you are going to use on the spot and then let it soak for a minute. Then instead of scrubbing it out, try just blotting it out. Press a towel into it and try to sponge the spots out. Rarely does anything get on the headliner which would require more than this, but if it does then just be sure the brush you use to clean it up with is very clean. Use small small circles like you are brushing your teeth to get it out. My advice would be to get one of those Upholstery cleaning products off the shelf that has a scrubbing brush on the cap. That way you know it is clean. If you use a dirty brush on the headliner then it will just make a huge grey stain that is even harder to remove. Anyway, just a tip if you needed it. :)

OCDETAILS BLOG

The secret is to let the cleaner soak. I'll tell you, the very best cleaner for upholstery that I've ever used is the Wolfgang Carpet & Upholstery cleaner. That stuff is insanely powerful stuff. I've got a few bottles of it. Send me your address in a PM and I'll send you one of my half empty ones and you can give it a shot. I think you'll be impressed the difference the right type of cleaner makes. I don't have to use it very often, but it is the 'big gun' I break out when things like Tuff Stuff doesn't work.

That is awesome of you!

I will send you a PM immediately. Thanks again, i'm hoping this stuff works well. No one else notices, but the slight tinge of unclean is driving me insane when i look at my seats.

Thanks again!

:edit:

PM sent, hopefully. It didn't show up in my sentbox, but then again, nothing does.

Just remember to let it soak for a minute. The best way to brush the seats is the same way as the headliner. Just use small circles like you are brushing your teeth. Then use a vacuum to suck the foam and dirt out while it is still wet. It doesn't have to be a wet/dry vac to do that. It isn't really that much fluid. The product will loosen the dirt and the vacuum will suck it out. If you really want to get beige dingy seats clean then you will want to use a carpet cleaner that you rent from Home Depot or something. Nothing compares to the power of boiling hot water when it comes to getting dirt out of carpets and fabric.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hey OCD what to use on the black interior panels (2012)? The lower door panels and the back of the front seats? I get a lot of dirt or scuff marks from myself on the driver door and from my kids on the back of my seats. I plan i using whatever you suggest fairly regularly and hopefully wont need to spend 7 hrs on my interior. Also how about the dash for a weekly cleaner/conditioner/uv protectant/dust repellant? Thanks.

I remember having those problems on my LGT as well. The leather is good, but it seems to pick up dirt pretty quickly and not release it. For the back of the seats I would just suggest keeping it well conditioned so the leather isn't damaged. Then head to the local auto parts store and get one of two products that I've found work really well. One is Meguiar's Quick Interior Detailer and the other (don't laugh) is of the same name from Turtle Wax. Sometimes the old guys get it right I guess. :) Both of those products are really good at cleaning up things like that and also laying down some protection to boot. The really nice thing is that it is safe to use on any interior surface, so you don't have to worry about endless streaking on gauge cluster plastic or glass.

The same thing holds true for the doors. There is a product for exterior plastics from Wolfgang called Exterior Trim Sealant, but it is pretty spendy and I'm not sure I'd want to waste it on the doors. It won't really protect you from scuffs or scrapes, but it may help make it easier to clean. I think just keeping it protected with a good rubber/vinyl protectant like 303 Aerospace will do the trick. Then use the interior detailer spray when you notice it got nailed by a dirty shoe. I think that is probably the best route to go.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup, I feel your pain. That was one of the reasons I sold my LGT. Once I realized that with two kids and a pretty crazy job I wouldn't have time to polish my car three times a week, I decided to sell it to avoid watching it slide into disrepair. ;) I obsessed way too much over that thing, but it was just so stinking gorgeous when it was clean, how was I supposed to resist??

What I've found now with three kids and an equally crazy job is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The right products in the right places really help make it easy to maintain the cleanliness of the car. That interior quick detailer stuff is a lifesaver to one who wants a clean car, but also doesn't have the time to be spending on it every single day. That is probably another thing I should write up. "How to maintain your car when you no longer have the luxury of obsessing over it." lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup, I feel your pain. That was one of the reasons I sold my LGT. Once I realized that with two kids and a pretty crazy job I wouldn't have time to polish my car three times a week, I decided to sell it to avoid watching it slide into disrepair. ;) I obsessed way too much over that thing, but it was just so stinking gorgeous when it was clean, how was I supposed to resist??

What I've found now with three kids and an equally crazy job is that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. The right products in the right places really help make it easy to maintain the cleanliness of the car. That interior quick detailer stuff is a lifesaver to one who wants a clean car, but also doesn't have the time to be spending on it every single day. That is probably another thing I should write up. "How to maintain your car when you no longer have the luxury of obsessing over it." lol

Haha, sounds like the perfect post for a guy putting 60 hours between two jobs in a week. Days off are like Christmas morning now. Few and far between, but so worth the wait.

• 4 weeks later...
^^^ LOL I never noticed that!! That is funny. I may have to set that one up in future pictures and see if anyone notices. I wonder how many other vehicles I can do that with...

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCDetails,,, Do you have any experience with a carpet cleaner called Folex? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Folex-Co-Instant-Carpet-Remover/dp/B000ILA3YY]Amazon.com: Folex Co. FSR32 Folex Instant Carpet Stain Remover: Home & Kitchen[/ame]
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

I'll let OCDetails weigh in but I've had a lot of experience with Folex. I'm a skeptic, and this stuff has worked for me over the years. I've used it on rugs and carpet to clean up dog barf, smudges, grease stains, bicycle tire marks, dirty shoe marks, and I've also used it to remove spots on furniture and car upholstery. If used as directed it seems to do a decent job of making stains go away. In some instances it works too well because once an area has been cleaned, you can see how darker and dirty the area is around it.

^^ Yup, that. Folex is very good stuff. Honestly though, it is no better than several other products I've used. But for the price it is very good and does a great job.

I looked at the Amazon link you put there. The stains on that seat are likely soda stains, which means it is just sugar water with some coloring. Warm water and a sponge would have cleaned that up, so don't put too much stock in the power of Folex based on that. Unless you see someone working with the product and know it wasn't just "start with Folex and then use a hot water extractor" you can't ever be sure what they used to get the end result. Folex is nice stuff, but Process is better than Product. You can clean up carpet and upholstery stains with just about anything meant for the job as long as you follow the right process and have the right tools. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

It is kind of the keystone of what I do. Someone asked me if this product or that product really makes a difference. I thought about it and asked him a question back. I asked, which made the Indian great? Was it the Arrow or the Indian? In reality they had pretty terrible tools and weapons, but that didn't stop them from doing just fine in life. It isn't so much about the tools you use, but how you use the tools you have. Some tools make the job easier, but in the end as long as you are using something meant to do the job you are using it for, then you can get results with it if you follow the right process. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

OCDetails- What would you recommend using on the 4th gen lgt alcantara seats? Mine are the black leather and black suede. They seem to be in very good condition and I want to keep it that way! How often should I clean and condition the seats? I was thinking this may be tricky, but you seem to be the cleaning guru...there is a hard, off-color stain on the cushion portion of the suede, what is a good way of getting that up without ruining it? Also, how do you feel about the 2-in-1 cleaner/conditioner leather products?

For Alcantara you shouldn't use leather conditioner since it isn't leather. It is a polyester and polyurethane blend meant to resemble suede, but definitely not suede. I'm sure there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat on that one. I've heard of people just using warm water and others who use regular upholstery cleaner. Every time I face alcantara I use either Wolfgang Upholstery Cleaner or the Wolfgang Spot Remover. Both seem to do a good job. I've only had to use a brush on it once. Most of the time I just spray the cleaner on it and then wipe it with a towel, but you could use a brush as long as it is a relatively soft nylon brush.

The 2 in 1 cleaner/conditioner products are rarely the best at either job, but they can do a fair job. I like Poorboy's Leather Stuff, for example. It is a cleaner/conditioner that actually seems to do a fairly decent job. The Pinnacle spray leather cleaner/conditioner also does a really good job. When possible I like to follow up with a dedicated conditioner though. Look at it this way... Leather is just like skin. If your skin was super dry would you want a spray lotion or an actual bottle of lotion to do the moisturizing? Spray conditioners don't do the best job, but they can be great cleaners. Lotions are always best.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Cool, thanks! I think I'll just go for a bottle of cleaner and a lotion style of conditioner. I was wondering why Meguiars had one that looked exactly like a bottle of lotion, even had the pump spout. As for the Alcantara, I'll try warm water and microfiber towel first. If that fails, I have some blue coral with the brush attached.

Archived