LegacyGT.com

What'd you do to your FIRST Gen. Subaru today?

Very nice! I had no idea those pistons would clear the 22t heads, some thick head gaskets? the ej20g pistons protrude out and the heads have the largest combustion chambers. So yeah that would equal decent compression.

I just weighed it at 2919lbs without me, so its fun to toss around some mountain roads. Im just getting used to the 4.11 5-speed that came with the JDM RS liberty motor. Then got a 4.11vlsd from a wrecked LGT. It's definitively more fun and has much less lag. At 16psi now and just about running out on the factory turbo and injectors.

Very nice! I had no idea those pistons would clear the 22t heads, some thick head gaskets? the ej20g pistons protrude out and the heads have the largest combustion chambers. So yeah that would equal decent compression.

I just weighed it at 2919lbs without me, so its fun to toss around some mountain roads. Im just getting used to the 4.11 5-speed that came with the JDM RS liberty motor. Then got a 4.11vlsd from a wrecked LGT. It's definitively more fun and has much less lag. At 16psi now and just about running out on the factory turbo and injectors.

Anyone know what interior door panels are swappable too???

Haven't seen any doorcard swaps. Not for first gens, anyway.

Ive been searching high and low for a place to rewrap some stuff in my interior and can't find shit. Aside from JPM coachworks, who wanted $375 per door panel and $2,500 for the two front seats.

I do appreciate high quality work, but that is just highway robbery.

Ive been searching high and low for a place to rewrap some stuff in my interior and can't find shit. Aside from JPM coachworks, who wanted $375 per door panel and $2,500 for the two front seats.

I do appreciate high quality work, but that is just highway robbery.

Pinterest? Learn how to do it yourself? A little fabric, spray adhesive, heat gun and some weed.

Pinterest? Learn how to do it yourself? A little fabric, spray adhesive, heat gun and some weed.

Well I've got the weed and heat gun already so Im half way there I guess. I know I could do it myself, but I know I wouldnt be happy with the results. I guess I better start saving!

Well I've got the weed and heat gun already so Im half way there I guess. I know I could do it myself, but I know I wouldnt be happy with the results. I guess I better start saving!

Check out CL, call around to local upholstery shops, heck, even boat shops! There's plenty of people who can do custom interior panel work.

On the ol' BBS, I believe there was at least one person who made custom fiberglass doorcards to make his own custom interior. . So that's always an option.

Sounds like a good time! LOL

My legacy came special ordered with leather door cars from an lxi or something. I had to rewrap the the deteriorating upper section. Did it twice before I got it acceptable, upholstery is hard.

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/CAM00079_zpsdqipuyeb.jpg

Got the idea of rivets from a car show

http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u386/onefastlt/CAM00080_zpssrmh4jni.jpg

I'm picking up an SS 5MT transmission next week w/VLSD! :)

I am going to swap it into my second gen in the spring if all goes well. I figure the stock 5MT won't hold up very well when I finish building my 22T/205. I am going to use a WRX pedal set and WRX master cylinder. May have found one locally.

I could get the driveshaft from the SS trans, but I'm not sure I need it. Anyone know if my second gen driveshaft will swap over to the SS trans? I'm guessing it will but it would be nice to confirm.

^^You have a much better chance of having a VLSD s2. They were standard on all 90-91 turbos with the 5mt. In 1992 they became an option with 5mt and are rare to find. I think it would clearly state VLSD on the diff cover if it was.

Next time I slip underneath I'll take a peek.

As of right now I'm sitting at the Subie dealership getting an alignment. Pulls hard to the right and steering is wobbly. Figured it's better to give them the money rather than Commercial Tire or LesSchwabs. If you have more than 250 posts for our local forum you get a discount off labor and 10% off dealer costs for parts. Pretty nice of them.

My guess would be that it would be just fine as well.

BTW what codes do we look for on the rear axle to know if VLSD? iirc #s on mine was F56

Yes, it clearly says VLSD on the identification plate on the back of the diff. Pretty psyched to have gotten my hands on one for cheap.

My guess would be that it would be just fine as well.

BTW what codes do we look for on the rear axle to know if VLSD? iirc #s on mine was F56

I think only the first gen's were stamped, phase 1 cars. I've had a WRX vlsd and legacy GT vlsd, neither had visible stamps. To find out if any diff has LSD you turn the pinion gear and see if both axle shafts spin the same direction. Alternately, spin one wheel and the other should spin the same direction if its LSD or VLSD. If the axle shafts spin opposite directions, its an open diff. I usually do a quick search on the model. I think you can divide the teeth of the two gears to get your final drive.

Also recently I read you don't need LSD oil in a VLSD diff, normal 75/90W is fine.

Lovely. Ever think about a black roof?

Yeah thought it would look good too. Maybe someday, Arizona is not a friendly place for black cars LOL

Edited by USLiberty

Thats the trick I was going to do. Had a locked diff in my 78 bronco and sharp turns it would buck on you.

I understand the heat aspect of dark vehicles. I was thinking since the tint was so dark it would look clean against the white