LegacyGT.com

Oil filter change only?

Turbo's have failed because the oil has broken down due to the heat of the turbo. Last I checked subi was not issuing turbo specific syn formulas.

Would be interesting to see the failure analysis you did to come up with this?

When I was at the dealer inspecting their parts department, I saw no syn oil and was not recommend as much. I could be all wrong as to what they're putting in the car.

Yep, you are wrong, check your facts re: synthetic recommendations by Subaru.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would be interesting to see the failure analysis you did to come up with this?

Yep, you are wrong, check your facts re: synthetic recommendations by Subaru.

What page of the service document of the 6057 pages says syn oil is the requirement?

Turbo's have failed because the oil has broken down due to the heat of the turbo. Last I checked subi was not issuing turbo specific syn formulas.

Wrong on both counts. Subaru has one of the better designs for keeping the turbo cool, especially during the off cycle.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-sae-5w-30-subaru-synthetic-motor-oil.html

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

I'd sell the Subaru and buy a superior Honda - problem solved.

I also like to take the filter off, cut it open to inspect it and if it is in good shape I weld it up and replace it.

My wife wanted the subi.

Happy wife = happy life.

Wrong on both counts. Subaru has one of the better designs for keeping the turbo cool, especially during the off cycle.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-sae-5w-30-subaru-synthetic-motor-oil.html

If they have a better turbo design it seems to conflict with other car companies getting 7-15K on boosted motor designs.

Thanks to the link to their oil. I believe the redline product line to be better and will be running that for my controlled tests.

:eek: Great point. As stated several times, Subarus are crap. Just accept it.

I have and will run the oil changes as I've stated before.

I get tired of the mindless 'they are better, more efficient in every way' but where it counts they fall short. Oil change, fluids, spark plugs and mpg.

I'll stop railing against the silliness in this thread and just share my results in another thread as it develops.

From Subaru directly.

In response to turbo specific oil and separate turbo oil system

"We have done that for our 2011 turbocharged models. They are all equipped with synthetic engine oil at the factory and it is required to use synthetic engine oil in these vehicles. The maintenance intervals are 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first. "

So it would seem this improvement is new for them and does not apply to our cars.

...backpressure via the factory oil filter (per subaru specs) provide optimal bearing lubrication, in which very few aftermarket filters provide.

Wow! What a firestorm! I guess I should have known that opinions and emotions on basic maintenance would vary greatly.

Maybe time for a poll (not necessarily here/now). What is the consensus on stock vs. aftermarket (like Mobile1) oil filters for syn? Should I be getting my filter from the stealer? I am all for the scientific approach to answering all of these questions. I'll go where the evidence leads so for those who prefer to document their conclusions, please post links with guidance (some have already -thx).

The Legacy (2.5i) Mobile1 filter is tiny compared to my 95 Saturn SL2.

@rao No offense but why are you on here if you can't stand Subarus? If you don't believe in a product, why hang out in that product's forum and trash it which is what it sounds like what you're doing? Opinion/advice from this perspective might not hold sway with the rest of the community. Are you unable to sell your car and get a Honda?

BTW, I loved my Honda. It was good to me.

Wow! What a firestorm! I guess I should have known that opinions and emotions on basic maintenance would vary greatly.

Maybe time for a poll (not necessarily here/now). What is the consensus on stock vs. aftermarket (like Mobile1) oil filters for syn? Should I be getting my filter from the stealer? I am all for the scientific approach to answering all of these questions. I'll go where the evidence leads so for those who prefer to document their conclusions, please post links with guidance (some have already -thx).

The Legacy (2.5i) Mobile1 filter is tiny compared to my 95 Saturn SL2.

@rao No offense but why are you on here if you can't stand Subarus? If you don't believe in a product, why hang out in that product's forum and trash it which is what it sounds like what you're doing? Opinion/advice from this perspective might not hold sway with the rest of the community. Are you unable to sell your car and get a Honda?

BTW, I loved my Honda. It was good to me.

Rao is a sarcastic fella. (or is he? :iam: ) You'll get to know him the longer you're on the forum.

More info from Subaru America's John Mergen.

10W-40 is one of the recommended engine oil viscosities for your 2005 Legacy per page 11-17 in the owner's manual. For your 2005 Legacy, we did recommend 7,500 mile intervals. We did not change to recommend oil changes under the severe driving conditions of 3,750 miles for our turbocharged models until the 2008 model year.

This would suggest the 7500 mile oil stands on an 05 gtl and puts an end to this stupid debate.

But since the machinery didn't change in any major way then the revised OCI should apply even to older vehicles.

But of course - it's a way to sell more cars if older cars breaks down easier.

Says you. .All this debate, and Subi America says 7500 on a 10w40 syn oil and you want to debate it. This is what I refer to when I was mentioning debating fact with opinion.

I'll let you guys have at it. Clearly the facts are facts.

05 gtl on 7500 OCI is given the thumbs up by Subaru America. If I run into a problem with oil issues I have John's email on file and will have records on hand to show proper oil change. 10w40 is a lot of protection for a passenger car.

No offense taken. I would sell my Legacy and buy another Honda, but I read in Consumer Reports that it isn't good to trade in a car until it is 10 years old, so I have to wait a little while. BTW, I do own 2 Hondas :eek:

If Subaru had more racing heritage it would make the wait easier.

is your '05 still under warranty by Subaru? If not, I would suggest they don't care what oil you use...

Nope, but if what you're suggesting is true we shouldn't buy their cars.

Silliness over, I'm out on this topic.

I am still fascinated by the conclusion you came up with here and would like to see the evidence and analysis.

Nope, but if what you're suggesting is true we shouldn't buy their cars.

Silliness over, I'm out on this topic.

For '08 on synthetic oil is recommended, engines were essentially the same from '05-'08, what conclusion do you draw?

Also, please answer why you chose 10w-40 vs the recommended 5w-30?

I am still fascinated by the conclusion you came up with here and would like to see the evidence and analysis.

For '08 on synthetic oil is recommended, engines were essentially the same from '05-'08, what conclusion do you draw?

Also, please answer why you chose 10w-40 vs the recommended 5w-30?

I'll put it all together at a later date.

10w40 is better in high heat and will break down over time to a 10w30. To get the 5w you must add more additives and this makes the oil weaker. most 5w30 thin to be closer to 5w20's towards the end of their life.

Additionally, with the 100f+ days here in Reno, it fairs better and doesn't thin as much in the extreme heat. This gives better protection for the bearings, while almost zero noticeable impact on mpg.

Finally, it's recommend by subi for my operating temps.

Archived