LegacyGT.com

Performance Wagon

Does anyone know what a 05 BMW 545i Mt does in the 1/4? :confused: This afternoon the wagon had this challenge and I wasn't sure if I could take him but what the heck:rolleyes: I pulled up to a light and all it read on the back was DINAN. By 80 slowing down I had him by 2-3 car length's:D We pulled over and looked over each others ride, he was sure I had a bottle I assured him otherwise. He had a dinan catback system & Dinan Ecu. (Nice car)I had to ask him how hard he was pushing it? "Everything it had" he said:eek: (The BMW had 6800 mies on it, so no it was not a green engine) The only problem with tonight is......I'm no longer a sleeper to him:p
Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Does anyone know what a 05 BMW 545i Mt does in the 1/4? :confused: This afternoon the wagon had this challenge and I wasn't sure if I could take him but what the heck:rolleyes: I pulled up to a light and all it read on the back was DINAN. By 80 slowing down I had him by 2-3 car length's:D We pulled over and looked over each others ride, he was sure I had a bottle I assured him otherwise. He had a dinan catback system & Dinan Ecu. (Nice car)I had to ask him how hard he was pushing it? "Everything it had" he said:eek: (The BMW had 6800 mies on it, so no it was not a green engine) The only problem with tonight is......I'm no longer a sleeper to him:p

Racing should be relegated to....ahh FSCK it, nice kill dude. Put teh BMWs where they belong.*

*excludes M-series.

I keed I keeed

Let's see, as I remember the BMW 545 Wagon is about $20,000+ more than the LGT Wagon...

Oh, V8 mpg is a little lower than the LGT, and insurance is higher...

Plus the LGT will walk away or keep pace with the BMW.

I walk Bimmers all the time...

Love a sleeper!! :D:D:D:D

silverbeam As far as engine mods go that was all he had. Suspension wise it was another story, some of the nicest wheels I've ever seen (Breyton(sp) 19") I am sure if the road was twisty at all he would have walked away:( He did not strike me as the type of guy to buy anything on E-BAY

Very nice guy though..........Hard to be cocky when a wagon just handed it to Ya :):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

I don't think he would have given you any problems in the twisties. the E60 is a heavy car, nearly 4,000 pounds. And has 325 HP, basically, at that weight, it is no match for your car. Heavy cars are heavy in the corners. E60s are nice to drive and all, but they are not the best handling bimmer out there, and I don't think any suspension modifications will make it on par with an AWD car that weighs a few hundred pounds less.

As for Dinan. They don't even have software or suspension avaible yet for the 545 (as for mid last month). Dinan is a point system. You need ten points before you can get a badge. 10 points can be between 10,000-20,000 in modifications. Dinan doesn't have enough out for the 545 for you to be able to make it a Dinan 5 yet.

That guy = poser.

A properly driven 545i/6MT should be faster than a Legacy GT in a straight line, but not by much. Certainly, in the real world, a Legacy could come out on top.

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/luxury/112_0408_bmwsts/index7.html

Motor trend got 0-60 in 5.4 seconds and a 13.7 quarter at 102 MPH.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=101027

Autoweek got 5.67 0-60 and a 14.1 quarter at 101 MPH. (Autoweek's times are usually slower than other car magazines)

From the article:

Handling is strong and unflappable, particularly for such a large car. Using the throttle to steer, you’ll find the 5 Series rewards pitching it around the cones: 45.2 mph in the slalom is impressive; the G35 went through the cones at 44.8 mph while the CTS recorded 42.5.

The 545i brakes like a sports car, taking just 114 feet to stop from 60 mph. The lighter G35 uses just 112 feet, with the CTS taking a longer 128 feet.

edmunds got teh LGT up to 63 mph in the slalom. But the 5 does great for such a big car.

They are different slaloms. I don't believe any car has ever exceeded 50 MPH in the Autoweek slalom. Serious, high $$ sports cars don't run much faster than 48 IIRC.

Put some good sneakers on an LGT and it would certainly come close to the BMW in braking

:lol:

Not a chance in hell. I regularly overbrake in my buddy's 545is since I am used to driving the LGT. :eek:

:lol:

Not a chance in hell. I regularly overbrake in my buddy's 545is since I am used to driving the LGT. :eek:

Maybe it is not the actual rotor/pad combo, but the feel you get from the pedal. The LGT brakes tend to bite in hard after you halfway into the pedal. It may not be linear as in the BMW and therefore when you press hard in the BMW like you do on the LGT to get to that bite point, you tend to overbrake.

I keed I keeed

It's all about pedal effort......BMW's and Mini's have linear, powerful brakes. I have never had to do a panic stop for a red light in either and overshot the line like I do in my LGT with foot to the floor. And no, Skip Barber won't matter here. It's the car.....the brakes on the LGT are average at best (one of my only regrets with my STi vs. LGT decision).

Money aside, which I realize is never the case in the real world, but bear with me...

How much would one have to change to put 04 STi/Brembo rotors and calipers on an LGT?

Doesn't the Motortrend LGT that they will be giving away have that setup?

Another question... what else would have to be changed besides the Hubs, rotors and calipers to put an 05 STi setup on the Legacy, and get the 5x114 bolt pattern for a better wheel selection?

I'd of course go with good pads, and stainless braided lines, and quality fluid. Would the LGT master cylinder be OK with those calipers? Would the ABS go nuts? I can't imagine why, the STi has ABS, as well...

If no quick answer can be made, I'll just post this question to the Brake and Suspension forum, which I probably should frequent a little more often, anyway...

/back on topic,

Kudos to the original poster for surprising another BMW driver!

I figured they had some sort of standard for the slalom. Someone should do that, have a regulation slalom. Everyone goes to the same 60 mph, everyone should have the same cone spacing.

Skidpads are sadly the same way. The radius varies from one test to another.

The cone spacing is critical to slalom performance and results will vary widely depending on how the course is set up. A car that is fast on a high-speed slalom, with widely-spaced cones, is not necessarily fast on a low-speed slalom with narrowly-spaced cones.

Not sure I can remember all that's in it; but one of the owners of my gym has an '04 m5 with dinan exhaust, cold air intake and chip. think that's it. it's running close to 500 hp. He let me drive it one day. all I could say was:eek:
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Not sure I can remember all that's in it; but one of the owners of my gym has an '04 m5 with dinan exhaust, cold air intake and chip. think that's it. it's running close to 500 hp. He let me drive it one day. all I could say was:eek:

2003 was the last model year of the E39 M5. There was no 2004 M5.

I drive 545i's fairly regularly and they are deffinately a fast car, manual to manual though a properly driven 545i should pull on a Legacy MT sedan or wagon. Not a huge ass stomping, just a steady walk. Handling wise I prefer the BMW over my Legacy, and the brakes are not even in the same universe.

I look forward to the 550i coming out in fall or winter, 360hp will be fun

Okay, I need to start looking into stage two, or stage one for that matter. Cause if you can do that, it gives me a good point of reference for a performance goal.

On a side note I had my first run in with an Acura TSX on the highway, I blitzed up an onramp and he caught up with me and followed for a good two miles and tried to make his move. A quick downshift into third and into fourth and he was firmly in the rear view, I think he knew what would happen but just wanted to check. No ricer fly-bye indicating he was pissed, unlike the TL driver I caught flat footed and passed merging ahaed of me on an entrance. He gave it all he had, but I was in the right gear and we have more torque. So if stage two can get a manual Legacy around the realm of a 545i... then it should be pretty damned effective with my 5eat... can't hurt at the very least.

Archived