LegacyGT.com

Transmission toast - '05 LGT wagon 5-speed

Four_wheel_drifts

The throw out bearing exploded and machined the stub housing and maybe the case itself. I haven't seen this in person yet; just talked to the tech and viewed pictures he texted.

I know I can drop thousands and upgrade to an STI transmission. However, it there a more economically option such as an Outback or WRX transmission? Those seem to be more common than trying to find a LGT specific trans.

Besides STI swaps, does anyone have a list of transmissions that are a direct swap for the one in our '05 LGT wagon?

And/or any recommendations for transmision shops near Portland, OR?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

1751052864_lgt_trans_11.thumb.jpg.34d9b7c840fc4c586e137779bd1de4e6.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If it makes you feel any better, the exact same thing happened to me. I went ahead and upgraded to a spec b 6 speed tranny while it was apart. I sourced a used WRX rear-end for the correct ratio. I would try Ebay or Millenium auto (search) if you need a quick solution. Otherwise a Wrx tranny with the appropriate (matching ratio) r160 rear-end would work.

The unfortunate part, in my case, was the that the internals of my five speed were perfect before the snout got chewed up.

Wow - the fork still being there really puts the carnage in perspective.

My recommendation is to stick with a 5-speed trans if it costs you $2k or less. If it's $2-4k, consider the 6-speed conversion. If it's more than $4k, don't even consider it - just do it.

It'll cost you ~$5k (minimum) to upgrade to a 6-speed trans from what I've read. You've got a ~6-7 year old vehicle with some good mileage on it worth probably $12-15k max (because it's a 5-speed wagon). I wouldn't dump an EXTRA $2-3k into it just to switch to a different trans unless you were an enthusiast who planned on keeping it for quite awhile still.

But as the price difference narrows, it becomes more worth your time.

Yes, it's nasty!

Even at 112k miles, my trans was perfect before this happened. I bought the car new and know how to shift.

If I can find a 5 speed that's worn out for a steal, I can have a transmission shop swap over the good internals, add the LSD front differential I want, and be less than $3k.

There are a few used replacements on car-part.com for around $1500. But I'm worried I'll just be buying someone else's problem.

Thanks for your support! I need it.

If the trans shop is going to swap over internals, then buy the cheapest one you can with an intact snout. Short of a grenading TOB, you just need a good case and snout, right?

At 112k, all I can say is: stick with the 5-speed. You've obviously enjoyed it and it worked well for you. You aren't tracking it. And it'll be cost effective.

While they are doing it, why not be preventative and put a tranquil tsk3 kit in for a new TO bearing. It'll cost an extra ~$70.

If the internals are good, then just get a new case and swap everything into it. Add a front LSD while you're at it. Down time will probably no longer than sourcing another transmission. And put a TSK on it to prevent future recurrences.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I've had dreams of this happening.

So what would you guys recommend if this happened to the exact same car (mine) which has 176k on it?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

I don't have any........
258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Note that the 05 LGT transmission is more durable than the 2002-2008 WRX. I don't know about the later ones. An outback XT transmission might be more suitable if the gearing is right. It should be noted that LGT 5-speeds are a slightly popular swap to older WRXes because of its stronger bellhousing.

There's a lot of totalled LGTs out there though, so finding a junkyard part shouldn't be that hard.

Do you have an power added? If so, a 6-speed might be the best choice. A used 6 speed shouldn't really that expensive compared to a 5-speed.

The cheapest local 5 speed '05+ LGT trans I could source is $1350. That's only one day of looking.

6 speeds ala STI start at around $3.5k+ here.

I really would like to find a good case and do the front LSD. Our transmissions are suppose to be very good.

No symptoms at all. Drove it to work; it was fine. Drove it home it made sounds like other throw out bearings (non-Subie) I've heard starting to go. Next morning, failed ~10 miles from home.

I've never seen anything like it!

Front diffs are good.

I have a 1 way cusco. It is awesome.

That said, remember that a 6-speed comes with a front LSD. A new LSD is a grand plus.

To bad your on the west coast, I have a spare 5mt that looks good on the inside. The guy I got it from said it popped out of 4th gear. I had the case split and inspected, everything looks fine on the inside. It's all together sitting in a plastic bag.

I'd take less then 1/2 what you found for a price.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The throw out bearing exploded and machined the stub housing and maybe the case itself. I haven't seen this in person yet; just talked to the tech and viewed pictures he texted.

I know I can drop thousands and upgrade to an STI transmission. However, it there a more economically option such as an Outback or WRX transmission? Those seem to be more common than trying to find a LGT specific trans.

Besides STI swaps, does anyone have a list of transmissions that are a direct swap for the one in our '05 LGT wagon?

And/or any recommendations for transmision shops near Portland, OR?

Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks.

I have a Outback XT with 155,00 on it, tranny fluid changed EVERY year (work maintenance) with extra S.

It has 4.44 gears since its an outback but I do have the R160 as well.

Ill be selling it soon for a 6 speed swap.

Tranny is still working perfect..... PM if interested.

To bad your on the west coast, I have a spare 5mt that looks good on the inside. The guy I got it from said it popped out of 4th gear. I had the case split and inspected, everything looks fine on the inside. It's all together sitting in a plastic bag.

I'd take less then 1/2 what you found for a price.

you should hang on to that just for me;)

Well I picked up the dead transmission today. We loaded it in the trunk of our 1991 Audi 200 turbo 20V quattro with more than 260k miles on the original transmission and rear torsen differential.

Oh the shame!

I'm having a hard time locating a core transmission for the case. The only LGT ones around are "known good" ones for $$. '06+ WRX the same.

I did find a good one, transmission code TY754VC7AA, that reportedly came out of a 2007 RS. Can anyone postively ID that tranny from the code? Is the case the same for this trans as the LGT and WRX?

On a related note, has anyone swapped a 3.9 transmission and rear end into their '05+ LGT? Is it a total dog off the line?

The cheapest local 5 speed '05+ LGT trans I could source is $1350. That's only one day of looking.

I have a 5MT with about 60k miles, it was in perfect working order when I removed it for a 6MT. You can have it for $1250.

The tricky thing is, I'm in Redmond WA, and I'm not sure how to get it from me to you. Shipping could add a couple hundred. I'll be in Portland around the end of October, but that seems like a long time to wait.

Archived