LegacyGT.com

Transmission toast - '05 LGT wagon 5-speed

Four_wheel_drifts

I've had dreams of this happening.

So what would you guys recommend if this happened to the exact same car (mine) which has 176k on it?

Buy my spare 5mt. :)

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If the internals are good, then just get a new case and swap everything into it. Add a front LSD while you're at it. Down time will probably no longer than sourcing another transmission. And put a TSK on it to prevent future recurrences.

http://subaruwrxparts.com/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=2255&idcategory=0

Same thing as linked to above? Are exploding TOBs commonplace here? I think mine is making some noise when cold in the morning. 106K on the OEM clutch.

The cheap, low mileage 2008 Outback transmission is looking more and more attractive. From post #3 by Fuji K on NASIOC, it looks like the final drives are the same as our 2005 LGTs (4.11), with more aggressive e.g. faster gear ratios:

3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738 / 4.111FD - '05-'06 USDM LGT

3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.825 / 4.111FD - '08-current USDM Outback

Besides gear ratios, anyone know what else is different between these two transmissions?

If nothing, I could have my car up and running yet this week!

Bigtdogg,

If yours is making noise, I would recommend getting in there and having a TSK3 kit installed.

Mine went from making noise to fail in one day. Of course, YMMV.

Yeah, I'm gonna hop on the Infamous clutch group buy and get this sucker done.

Thanks, and good luck with your swap. Only real downside I can see to the diff ratios is a decrease in fuel economy.

The cheap, low mileage 2008 Outback transmission is looking more and more attractive. From post #3 by Fuji K on NASIOC, it looks like the final drives are the same as our 2005 LGTs (4.11), with more aggressive e.g. faster gear ratios:

3.166 / 1.882 / 1.296 / 0.972 / 0.738 / 4.111FD - '05-'06 USDM LGT

3.454 / 2.062 / 1.448 / 1.088 / 0.825 / 4.111FD - '08-current USDM Outback

Besides gear ratios, anyone know what else is different between these two transmissions?

If nothing, I could have my car up and running yet this week!

Looks to me like the Outback ratios are slower, not faster. 5th gear in the Outback would be like 4-and-a-halfth gear in the Legacy. More torque, but slower speed at the same engine RPM.

The Outback's larger tires probably compensate for the change.

I feel your pain on the TOB issue. I literally had this EXACT same thing happen to my dsm ('99 GSX) not more than 600 miles after I bought it used. :spin:

Nothing like a 3k repair at the dealership RIGHT after you bought the car....:mad:

-Steve

Here's an updated picture of the "machined" snout. The first picture I posted still had part of the bearing on it and looked terrible.

If I didn't know what I was looking at, aside from the light gouging, I might think Subaru designed it this way.

I spoke with Joel at Tranquil, the maker of the TSK3 snout repair kit. He said that there is plenty of material left to use his kit and it would work perfectly!

That info came on the same day, but AFTER I had purchased the Outback transmission.

So I have a choice: lower geared Outback trans to help make up for the slight turbo lag I gained by swapping in the Supercars EVO turbo or use the stock LGT transmission...

P1010162.thumb.jpg.f82fc1e1feead9a33a93b6ea83d94dad.jpg

So I have a choice: lower geared Outback trans to help make up for the slight turbo lag I gained by swapping in the Supercars EVO turbo or use the stock LGT transmission...

Your post, and others, have me paranoid enough I ordered the TSK3 kit as relatively cheap insurance. Thanks!

IMHO, keep the LGT tranny and the taller ratios. Helps your fuel economy and gives you boost for longer in each gear. The lag can be minimized with a good tune and flow mods.

• 3 weeks later...

The TSK just needs to have enough of the tranny snout left to mount the butt-end to, the part closest to the transmission. Picture provided for reference.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery/500/14073snout_sleeve.jpg

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 8 months later...
Your post, and others, have me paranoid enough I ordered the TSK3 kit as relatively cheap insurance. Thanks!

IMHO, keep the LGT tranny and the taller ratios. Helps your fuel economy and gives you boost for longer in each gear. The lag can be minimized with a good tune and flow mods.

Reviving old thread. Getting really paranoid as well. I do have the noise when the engine is cold, but afterwards it's gone. Wonder why the noise goes away when warm..

Did you install your TSK3 kit? Did you also install a new clutch? How is everything now?

I did not install it, I had my mechanic do it. I have noise, but not bearing noise. I have flywheel chatter now because I went with a lightweight flywheel.

What clutch do you have ?

My new Spec 2 is great, no chatter at all. I have a 1000 miles on it. My old Spec 2+ would chatter from time to time if I didn't drive it hard enough. I learned to put the tranny in neutral and side step the clutch pedal, letting it bang to the top.

Push in the clutch, put the tranny in gear and drive off, on chatter.

I also still have the Spec LWFW.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

What kind of noise? And did the mechanic let you know how your old bearing was when he replaced it?

Chatter between 2500 and 2000 RPM on decel.

What clutch do you have ?

I went with the CCI 2100 street clutch and LWFW. If I could do it over again, I would go with a WRX flywheel and some other clutch. I don't care for LWFW on fourbangers, not enough engine inertia to smooth it out. It often engages like a puck clutch, even though it's a full face street disc.

Chatter between 2500 and 2000 RPM on decel.

Oh does the tranny sound like a bucket of rocks LOL mine has for a long time, it's the LWFW. Mine makes noise when in the top gears and I lift, I normally throw it in netural and coast if it's going to be a while till I need to shift.

I also get a howl when driving in the upper gears at times.

Turn up the radio...the noise goes away.

Hey I also have a cycling noise from the engine compartment when in curise control at about 68-70mph when I don't have the radio turned on. With the windows open I don't hear it either.

My wagon also makes whistle at 50 from the drivers side mirror.

Want me to go on about noises ? Just drive the car and turn up the radio, life is good.

Archived