LegacyGT.com

I know this sounds bad

:mad:Hey, so I am doing my first oil change on my Legacy Gt 2005. Not the first one I have done, but the first time on my Legacy. I have hit a snag, and couldn't get the oil filter off. I was doing by hand, and by the time I went and bought a oil filter wrench it was dark outside. And that was yesterday. My question is can I just wait another 3k or 3months to change it, because by now the ol would have already mixed with the maybe 2q that were probably in the oil filter.:spin:

Chris

What kind of oil are you using ?

For the $30.00 or so that it will cost to buy new oil...that's a lot cheaper then $5000.00 for a new engine.

You do the math.

These things are finicky about oil. Make sure you learn how to check the level weekly until you know how much oil your engine drinks.

I drive to work, pull the dip stick about 2", close the hood, come out 8 hours later, open hood, check the oil level. Top off as needed. DO NOT run the engine with the oil below the low line. I make it a habit to never knownly run it less than full.

You'll want to read some of the oil checking threads on here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/another-oil-level-thread-165541.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Someplace on here I have a picture of a Silicone hose coupler from Vibrant from an old turbo set we had, that I used to fit over the oil filter and help the strap wrench get a better bit on it.

Oh yea, Mobil 1 is not recommended for these engines, there's lot's of negative threads about it.

Here I found the picture,

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN0236.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I would not trust jiffy lube with my car at anytime. If I were you I would just drain the oil into a pan to reuse if clean, take off the old filter and replace with the new one. I always hand tighten an oil filter when installing but need an oil filter wrench to break it free for removal. I happen to have an old nissan oil filter wrench with a pivot so you can swing the handle vertical. It fits the oil filter perfectly for removal.

or you could stab the filter with a screwdriver

THIS^^^ It is messy but it works you will need a LOOONG one

OR

Did you try letting you car cool? I had a hot filter once that would not budge got in my other car went to NAPA got a strap wrench got back it spun right off. Sometimes letting it cool a bit will help.

or you could stab the filter with a screwdriver

Although this method works, it leaves you no escape route. If for whatever reason you still can't get the filter off, you're screwed. :redface:

Yeah, thanks for all of the quick responds. I ended up going the (jiffy lube) route telling them my story and getting him to put it back on by hand. I had to get on the road and didn't have anymore time to get it out of there. I dont think I would be very comfortable hitting the filter with a screw to get it out. Then I would be really stuck.

Archived