LegacyGT.com

97 2.5 DOHC Rebuild

Hey found a block now I need some internals for it. I have a good crank but pistons are done. Rods seem to be ok but I'd like to replace them if the price is right. Any thoughts on a company that has a complete rebuild kit for a decent price? I'd like to keep it under $500. Block is going to the shop tomorrow for a hot dip cleaning and honing. I'm not doing turbo or strokers or any other crazy stuff. Just looking for durable parts that will last. Thanks for the help in advance. Pics to come.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$500 is going to be a stretch your crank may need machining and depending on how much, it may be better to buy a new crank or risk tolerance issues on the rod bearings.

New pistons, rods, rings, bearings, and bolts are going to cost you more than $500.

Thanks. I'm starting to realize that. Only thing I have found so far is this, but it seems to be a no name brand. Not sure I want to use something like that. Same thing from Subaru is going to run me about twice as much and that's with an employee discount.

http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/mechanical/F732057.gif

follow this link :

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator&siteid=214857&chapter=&Sectionids=10,0&groupid=10044&subgroupid=62197&componentid=0&make=32&model=Impreza&year=1997&graphicID=F732057&callout=32&catalogid=1&displayCatalogid=0

You will be able to get all your parts for close to your budget if you can't find a cheaper option.

Thanks for the help Gee-otto. I was actually able to source the parts from my dealer. I work for a large automotive company that owns a Subaru dealership and was able to get employee discount on all the parts. I'm hoping to get the block back from the machine shop today and get it measured. Once I get it measured I can order the correct sized pistons, rings and bearings.

Thanks for the help Gee-otto. I was actually able to source the parts from my dealer. I work for a large automotive company that owns a Subaru dealership and was able to get employee discount on all the parts. I'm hoping to get the block back from the machine shop today and get it measured. Once I get it measured I can order the correct sized pistons, rings and bearings.

Oh so they are honing and decking a considerable amount to get the block true? Well the phase Ej25D has the same bore as Ej251, 99.5mm but it would take a lot to step up to the 100mm piston. You may need slightly larger rings but that is the easy part once you get measurements.

Great you got the parts at a much lower rate than retail. I would stick to OEM Head gaskets and dont skimp for the FEL PRO set ;) if the heads are toast you can find sets for sale on NASIOC or RS25.com fairly easy

The shop is doing a dip and checking the deck. If it needs decking I'm going to have them do it. I'm doing the honing at my shop. I need to measure to see if I need size A or size B pistons. For the gaskets I'm getting the complete engine set from Subaru. Part # 10105AA401. My understanding is this comes with everything except valve cover gaskets?

The shop is doing a dip and checking the deck. If it needs decking I'm going to have them do it. I'm doing the honing at my shop. I need to measure to see if I need size A or size B pistons. For the gaskets I'm getting the complete engine set from Subaru. Part # 10105AA401. My understanding is this comes with everything except valve cover gaskets?

Yes that has everything to seal her up and I think the valve covers and spark tube seals are a separate pack.

Got the block and crank back from the machine shop. Crank is all polished up and ready to go. Does anyone have the stock dimensions for rod and main journals? According to the Haynes manual I have I have the incorrect crank

(2.2L not 2.5L). My rod journals measure about 52mm instead of 48mm. I'm wondering if there was a typo in the book since I pulled the crank out of a block that had never been opened or if it had they did a very good job putting it back together. Also does anyone know how to decode the letters/numbers on the crank.

Also have pictures of all the cylinders before the honing. I'll be honing on Friday after my new bore gauge comes in.

Block still need all the old silicone removed and all the bolt holes tapped. Also going to clean the outside of the block and prep it for paint tomorrow. Thinking about do just a gloss black. Any other ideas?

IMG_0234sm.thumb.jpg.87aac0ed7428cdd4b225743d54cd00c8.jpg

IMG_0235sm.thumb.jpg.3402c04621a159f239e7a3ddff09d4c1.jpg

IMG_0243sm.jpg.22fc135a5e80ebe5269cba7871887292.jpg

IMG_0244sm.jpg.f58e976ff8d8adb08e23e3a53eddc578.jpg

IMG_0240sm.jpg.fe4e690f2f68decdda64a25de674889d.jpg

IMG_0247sm.thumb.jpg.01278e9638e4babc8638f43c6be56890.jpg

IMG_0248sm.thumb.jpg.4017295381107ca80aaae4d2eb8016f1.jpg

First off you have a Phase 2 block and Phase 1 crank :( The Phase 1 had the 48mm journal bearings the phase 2 has the 52mm You probably picked from a mislabeled Short block.

You will need to find a EJ25 Phase 2 crank. :eek: they are cheap used

I can't use Phase 2 rods in the phase 1 block? The mains measure the same size on both cranks.

The P2 blocks have the thrust bearings moved from the third to the fifth and the phase 1 had a shorter stroke that the phase two. If you use phase 1 rods in a phase 2 youll be severely down on power :lol:

I would try to confirm the block you pulled that crank from was in fact a phase 2. Even if you cant there is no way to make a a crank work with that large a tolerance gap.

Sorry to bring bad news but if your'e looking for a running EJ25D i would check RS25.com or NASIOC.com first you will see the EJ25D's for sale in running condition from time to time for a very good price. If you just want to pay the money and have a solid engine then i would go the other route or possibly find a reputable EJ engine rebuilder you can get the EJ25 long block for good prices.

Know any builders in the DC area?

Yeah IAG Performance and Mach V ive dealt with directly and both have good staff and stand up practices. Are you looking to build a block or rather source a replacement running long block ?

All depends on the price. I'm not looking for anything fancy. Just trying to get a dependable engine

Well you got the block honed and dipped and you have the heads right? YOu should be able to take a builder the parts and say "put this together for me" for a good price.

There is a guy with a 98 EJ25D for $100 over on rs25.com

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f177/t161928-1998-ej25d-100-a.html

Check that out he said it had valve issues but nothing a rebuild cant address and the heads aren't costly to fix back up

Another cheap good option:

http://www.rs25.com/forums/f177/t159316-ej25-dohc-shortblock-50-a.html

Archived