LegacyGT.com

How accurate are is your MPG gauge on the dash?

i always do the math when i fill up and it is almost dead on everytime. the most it was ever off is 1mpg. i find thatvif you keep reseting your trip its more accurate vs when you compare to say the b trip which keeps counting and gives a super overall mpg not just since your last fill.

on the highway i've been getting 26-26.5

reg driving like 20-21

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

^^^^

+1 with VXCL (although not his mileage figures) and rallispec - per their "accuracy"

I, too, find as with VXCL that the shorter the mileage span, the more accurate the measure. I tend to keep Trip A as my tank-per-tank reset.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just checked my mileage on a 700 mile trip. One tank was almost dead on, one tenth MPG difference, the second tank 1/2 MPG off. Averaging the two I'm less than a half mile per gallon off between the computer and the old math way. I have the 2.5i base engine and run around 30-31 mpg highway and about 21.5 city. The average for my past 2500 miles is 27.5

Doing a fill tank to the top, reset trip odo, drive, fill tank to the top.. take trip/devide method shows about 1mpg less then the display
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Actual is 5-10% less than the displayed readout. This error has been consistent from delivery to now (18,000 miles). I generally get about 23 mpg and the readout is usually around 24.5 mpg.

What would explain the difference people are observing between calculated and displayed mpg? Any thoughts?

Ken

When they can't even get the fuel gauge to read correctly, how can they accurately monitor mileage???

Three basic operations have to happen accurately for an accurate MPG result:

1) Measurement of distance traveled - my odometer seems to be within 5%, based on 'reference' mile markers, although I don't know for sure whether the same sensor is used for MPG calculations.

2) Measurement of fuel consumption - don't know how accurate this is and don't know a good way to find out.

3) Division of distance/consumption - let's hope they got the trip computer software right and can divide without significant resolution or truncation errors.

OMG (Only Midwest Gas) you can buy premium for less than $2.50!!!

In SoCal - prices are starting to drop, and I can get the cheepest premium (ARCO) for about $2.56 right now - 3 weeks ago I paid $2.81 (Union 76).

On my spreadsheet, my meter of about 2-3% higher than calculation.

I was going to say that if you had replaced your tires with a new overall diameter then there would be some difference on your odometer and speedometer... but then again, when you checked the car with your calculator, you would be using the same numbers unless the MPG estimator actually uses different sensors to measure difference like someone said above. In that case it could be entirely possible that the MPG calculator is more accurate than the manual calculation if the manual calculation was taken off of the slightly innaccurate odometer..... anyone know how the estimator works exactly?

I have 1230 mi. on the odometer. The driving is 70% city and 30% highway. Trip computer shows 21.6 MPG my calculation is 22.9 MPG. So computer is off by more then one MPG. However I did not reset it. Maybe there is a difference.

What would explain the difference people are observing between calculated and displayed mpg? Any thoughts?

Ken

I suspect from observation that the computer doesn't include time you're not moving in its calculations. While the car is sitting there burning fuel, the computer is ignoring that use of fuel. I have no basis for this suspicion other than watching the behavior of the average MPG readout's behavior.

DKB

On my trip computer, the "remaining miles to fill up" never goes higher than 250. Is this the limit? Because, when I fill up; reset, get on the highway, it should read well over 300 miles, when my AMG is over 20.

Archived