LegacyGT.com

How accurate are is your MPG gauge on the dash?

On my trip computer, the "remaining miles to fill up" never goes higher than 250. Is this the limit? Because, when I fill up; reset, get on the highway, it should read well over 300 miles, when my AMG is over 20.

It's not a limit that I know of... Mine has read as high as 390.

DKB

I suspect from observation that the computer doesn't include time you're not moving in its calculations. While the car is sitting there burning fuel, the computer is ignoring that use of fuel. I have no basis for this suspicion other than watching the behavior of the average MPG readout's behavior.

DKB

It does calculate this, and in fact is easy to test if it doing this.

• 2 weeks later...
I drove 300 mile round trip from here to Seattle at 80mph, my car read 22.9mpg, and I calculated around 22.5. And driving up there was almost constant at that speed since it was 1am, there was no traffic on the road. I am going from a vehcile that got 8mpg city and 12 highway, so this is excelent, but should I be gettng more. Around town I get around 17-18mpg. BTW, I have a lead foot, and the traffic lights every block dont help:lol:

On two Santa Cruz-to-Sacramento round trips (70-80 mph, with generally little traffic) my car computer displayed on the order of 26.5 MPG, and the actual mileage is close to 26. 22.5 would be a little disappointing. On those trips I have seen distance-to-empty displayed as high as 430 mi just after a fill-up.

DKB,

Sorry man, it *does* still count when sitting still. Fill up, get the display back by driving about a mile and then go park for about 30-45 seconds...you can watch it drop as you sit.

Otherwise, mine is always 1mpg optimistic, although after about 3500 miles it just keeps on getting better! it's sitting at 25.5 right now and that is 70% interstate at 75-80 and 30% at 40-55.

Cheers, dave

Drive softly and carry big torque!

Archived