LegacyGT.com

HID Headlight Selection?

cuylerjr

Don't get HID high beams.

Even if you get a good colour like 4300K, that has actual strong white light output, the time it takes the HIDs to warm up and be effective is too long.

Hi beams are designed for instant light up high. Instant. That's why halogens are best in this application.

HID takes a good 5-10 seconds before they are warmed up and actually putting out decent light. By that time it's too late and the moment has passed when you needed the high beams.

Good Halogen bulbs from Philips, etc, in the high beams will suit you plenty.

Ill have to say none of the before mentioned kits...if its not a D?? bulb then you should find bulbs made by CNlight, Capsen, or TaiChang...they are the best period. As far as ballasts...pair an oem one with an aftermarket bulb or maybe a Hyluxtek or CNlight ballast... I have tested many and those brands have never failed me. Plus there probably one of the only few companies out there that actually produce there own products...meaning they aren't rebranded and given a catchy name...

Please link us to the lights that you just mentioned. Prices? Do you have pictures to show the difference between those brands and the ones mentioned to show how superior they are? Any experience with warranty claims?

I am pretty sure the OP is just looking for an all in one PnP kit. Simple, straight forward and easy to come by.

[

You can google the names...parts are hard to come by in the states. I import them for personal use and for retrofits if they are requested. I try to avoid selling anything that has the potential for future failure. Even oem stuff...try to keep most of that for personal use. What I feel makes them or those brands superior is that they are the manufacturer...like Morimoto bulbs are rebranded CNlight bulbs...or Xenon Depot ballasts...very good...are actually Hyluxtek ballasts. Here is a link to check out. This is from a very well respected member of the hid community...

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?36443-H1-Bulb-Operating-Temperature-(and-other-properties)-Comparison

Yep that makes sense. So why would the OP have issues buying a rebranded kit that has customer support and are of the same quality as CNlight........since they are CNlight. I think that is the beauty of rebranded products that are sold under another name with actual support. The average person does not want to go through the hassle of sourcing parts from different locations. But I do understand where you are coming from with the personal use side of the plate.
[

I guess I just get annoyed with rebranding...nothing is wrong though with buying a rebranded kit. I actually have VVME ballasts...or inexpensive no name chinese ballasts...that I use to test stuff before shipping out. They have held up great. Its just a part of me that wants people to know a brand is nothing more than a name...I want people to know the source of my products and products I like...and yes I annoy my friends with this stuff. If I had to say a good place to buy on customer service alone...TRS or XenonDepot...

For Xenon Depot kits...

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/HID-Kits-s/216.htm

The Xtreme Digital kit has the good pieces parts...the Volt has literally the same ballasts as what you would find in any other reasonably good kit.

For TRS...

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/

Not sure who makes their ballasts but the bulbs are good...plus they are in the states which is a positive.

Hope this helps...the kits I can get are about 30% less than that but then there is the whole warranty issue...but to date...so about 1 yr...I have had no issues...but if wanted I could always order a few. I could get them for 110.00 plus shipping to your place...as far as warranty if something goes wrong it could take a week or longer to get replacement parts.

Has anyone successfully transplanted STi ballasts into their legacy? I've owned the slim DDM 55w kit and the diode dynamics kit, one ballast from both kits blew within three months. I have the worst luck with HID's.

I'm no newb to lighting and make certain to be extra careful when handling bulbs and mounting ballasts, I'm on my third kit now, non-slim DDM 55w kit....my friend gave me the kit from his 09 GT and I know it works flawlessly....for him..... I've heard the failure rates of the slim kits are greater than that of non-slim.

Nothing seems better than OEM.

Archived