LegacyGT.com

Humming, roaring -- wheel bearing?

my 05 has 100900 miles on it. I just bought it last week and I am hearing the bearing noises. Anyone have experience on Subaru cutting some slack on the extended warranty when its so close to 100k? Or am I screwed and should just pick up parts off Fred Bean?

Like others have said having some historical evidence that it was at least known there could be an issue will be helpful. But also don't count out just straight up asking if they can do something for you.

I bought an 07 with 45k this last spring. When I bought it I could tell there was something up with the rear end. The day after I got it home I brought it to the dealer and they told it me it was both rear wheel bearings. The car was out of warranty due to age so I called SOA and asked if they could do anything for me especially since the mileage was low. Keep in mind I had literally had the car for a day in my name and had very little history with the dealer I go to as I usually do most of my maintenance. Despite that Subaru offered to pay for half of the cost, which given the situation I was happy with that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good news! The dealership/Subaru covered my rear wheel bearing! Free fix! 101000 miles! I am stoked that Subaru stands behind their product like that. Once had a Mazda that the air conditioner went out at 62,000 miles, warrantied at 60k miles, and Mazda did nothing for us. Sceerewed. I am a Subaru lover for life!

• 3 weeks later...
You can lift the car and shake the wheel and tire to feel for loose parts. If nothing is found, you should spin the wheel and tire around as fast as you can and then while spinning, put your hand on the spring/strut and if you feel roughness and or hear the growling noise, you have found the culprit.

I think others have used them and they were fine.

My Moog's are doing well in both rears.

Ya i heard the Moog's are good but i already got the Timken. Haven't started the install yet so i can exchange it but if it would be nice if i didn't have to.

IMO if the timken part number say's it fits your car, it should work.

If it doesn't, it's much easier to replace the second time or third. Ask me how I know ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Anyone know if the Timken rear hub assembly has the OEM ABS sensor? Somone said some brands do and some don't so just seeing if anyone here has used Timken's..

Is there a bit of metal sticking out the backside of the hub bearing assembly with a 3/8"ish-wide groove cut into it? If so, then it should work fine. That groove is where the ABS sensor rides.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Have you called Subaru of America, may be they can help....

Hey its worth a shot.

Yeah, and while they didn't give me an outright no, they weren't very encouraging either. Anyhow, will find out on Tues.

SOA customer service will likely step-up on this one, especially if you filed no claims against your extended service. Or, you brought this to the attention of your dealer before it expired and they did nothing then.

Is there a bit of metal sticking out the backside of the hub bearing assembly with a 3/8"ish-wide groove cut into it? If so, then it should work fine. That groove is where the ABS sensor rides.

Attached is a pic of what i have let me know if it looks good to go.. thanks..

TimRearHub.jpg.d14fe04393ab22a9593154dae620a162.jpg

Looks very similar to the OEM one. This is a pic of my 2005 rear HBA that I just replaced with new OEM at 133K. You can see the groove between the mounting flange and load-ridge (where it fits into the rear trailing arm). Seems to be about 1/4" wide and about 5/16" deep.

17064581_Rear2005HBA.jpg.81fd2fa9b041a246c0b48acadfe82275.jpg

• 4 months later...
Anyone know if the Timken rear hub assembly has the OEM ABS sensor? Somone said some brands do and some don't so just seeing if anyone here has used Timken's..

According to the link below, not clear that they are using the OE sensor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1119780&cc=1430733

Around $75 at rockauto.

The SKF rear hub is around $108. SKF says they do use the OE sensor.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1836266&cc=1430733

Who manufactures the rear hub for Subaru?

Archived